Forum: Photography

Subject: Can we upload image with auditory file? & Cool stuff about new cam

tvernuccio opened this issue on Jan 12, 2005 ยท 13 posts

tvernuccio posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 6:31 PM

Hi guys! Well, I've been playing with my new cam today! Took a lot of shots, did some experimenting, and have been reading my manual. I've found some really cool things with this cam (Sony DSC-F828). I'm excited to learn my cam has Program Auto Shooting so there's some auto adjustments, but you can make some adjustments to focus, exposure, etc. In this program auto shooting, you can shoot still images with audio files!!!!! Is this WAY too cool or what???? You get 40 seconds of audio time. So my question is, when we upload an image in our gallery, are we also able to upload the audio file??? Other neat thing i see my cam has is scene selector. didn't have that with my old cam. Can't wait to see what all i can do as I continue reading manual!!!!!!

Michelle A. posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 6:42 PM

Only image files can be uploaded Sheila..... and that's limited to gif and jpg formats. Any audio file you wanted people to hear would have to be uploaded to your own web space elsewhere, or here if you've purchased a file locker option. And as far as I know..... or at least while I was working as a mod, audio file links were a no-no in the galleries because they were concerned about music file sharing... shrug not sure if you talking about an image is quite the same thing. But I'm sure the mods would want to check with administration first before giving the go-ahead......

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Apophis906 posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 8:36 PM

Oh you have so many things you can do. You have the video record feature as well as the nightframing and night shooting.

tvernuccio posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 8:43 PM

thanks for checking Michelle!!! I was reading the manual closer and it looks like the only way to actually hear the audio is to listen from your cam. hmmmm....seems strange. William, have you used this audio feature? it would be so nice to have some running commentary with certain images. I was thinking when i go down home i would like to have my dad talk a bit about some of the sites I'm shooting...the history. but really, i don't see the point if you can only listen to it on the cam. I mean, how many people are gonna be viewing images just from their cam? doesn't make sense. is that your understanding also William? i also noticed you can shoot in sepia mode with this cam. can't wait to try that. thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!! :)

cynlee posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 8:54 PM

i can hear my audio pics on my computer... there's a .wav file attached to the .jpg :]

LostPatrol posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 9:03 PM

Just to add my bit as I tend to do. I would think that the audio would make the file too large even if it were allowed. tv I would think that it is unlikely that you can only use it on cam. My lowly Fuji can save audio files that can be plaid back on PC. Never really used it other than to check it out though.

The Truth is Out There

redbeard posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 9:54 PM

.wav files require huge amounts of memory, about 10 MB per minute. Do they really use these? It would be cool to have audio uploads available but I can understand the technical and legal problems involved.

LostPatrol posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 10:05 PM

A stereo .wav would need allot of memory but a mono would need considerably less, still too much for an upload to RR though. I dont think it is an option that will be open for RR though. Being that it is modern digi cams they may well be mp3's

The Truth is Out There

cynlee posted Wed, 12 January 2005 at 10:38 PM

hmmm... like LP, I only tried it a few times... went to go look but that was a .mov... think I deleted the other one where I spoke over a photo... pretty sure it was a .wav... (Oly5050)

deemarie posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 6:45 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/animation.ez

As Michelle stated - uploading any audio files to the Rosity Galleries is a no no. However, you "can" upload audio images with your "animated" images and or photo slide-show - to the Animation Outlet - found under FreeStuff - see above link :)

Apophis906 posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 9:06 PM

Well it records a seperate audio file. The audio file is only like 5 sec long,thats all I ever did,just testing really. It saves it in an mpg format,so you can listen on the computer. Of course you can alose record an mpeg movie with it and have a short clip you can see on the computer or tv. Actually you can hear the audio tag on the tv with the plug ins that came with it, you can then listen to the audio file on the tv when you look at the pic.

randyrives posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 9:50 PM

My old Oly digi cam would record audio with an image. I tried using a few times, to record notes of about the photo. Like mostly cloudy, with reflective light from the right. But I soon gave this up, as my card would fill up twice as fast.

tvernuccio posted Thu, 13 January 2005 at 9:54 PM

thanks everybody!!!! I appreciate the information!! William, well 5 seconds is not enough time. I was thinking it would be cool to have my father make a little commentary on still images. nice for historical stuff. anyway, thanks again guys!