Forum: Bryce

Subject: Volumetric Textures and Distance Bluring/Atmospheric Effects

chadms opened this issue on Jan 04, 2001 ยท 2 posts

chadms posted Thu, 04 January 2001 at 10:40 PM

Hrmm... I've been using Bryce for over a year now and I've only just now noticed this phenomena. I spent some time with the materials editor to create a few new volumetric materials, I had intended to use them as a substitute for excessive modelling (Rather than model EVERY bush why not create several volumetric textures and use rocks or blobs to create the same effect?). Anyway, after finishing a couple different textures and finally getting ready to place them into the scene, I find out that volumetric textures don't seem to be effected by atmospheric effects. (They don't get covered by haze, fog, or change color with different colored sunlight, making them stick out like a "sore-thumb" in a picture I had intended to be fairly photo-realistic.) Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has come up with anything different than simply replacing the volumetric textures with a couple of different image maps? Chadms

Flickerstreak posted Fri, 05 January 2001 at 6:07 PM

you need to enable the "full shading mode" to get the effects you want... the default "flat shading mode" is a very basic shading, which doesn't interact with sunlight, haze, etc. Be warned that it's gonna wreak havoc with your render times. It's in the little triangle in the upper right corner of the materials grid, just to the left of the A,B,C,D texture components.