Forum: Fractals

Subject: Rendering Apo1 flames in UF

Rykk opened this issue on Feb 26, 2005 ยท 1 posts

Rykk posted Sat, 26 February 2005 at 6:50 PM

Hi all! I do a lot of images that combine flames and straight layers in Ultrafractal. As the images look much better and "polished", I usually like to render them to disk with anti-aliasing. Many times, UF will complain loudly and if you continue, though it WILL render the image with flames, it's calculation rate can drop below 10 pixels per second - fine if you have LOTS of time and figure on being immortal! lol I usually will have to divide the layers up, render the non-flame ones and then reassemble the whole mess with Photoshop. Anyhow, I've begun to notice that sometimes UF DOESN'T complain about flame layers and will go ahead and render the image. I wanted to render my current post, "Starchild2", as part of the overall updating of the image. Didn't know what "render to disk" did when I made the first one! lol There are now 2 flame layers in it - one is Apo1 and the other is Apo2 beta15. Sure enough, UF whined when I tried to render it. Having noted happily that my "Thru a Glass Onion" image had rendered flame and all, it got my attention. On "Starchild2", I figured out that the offending layer was the main, Apo1, flame. So, I re-opened the flame in Apo2.02c and re-exported it with Sue Chambless' new ucl that allows mapping as the selected ucl to use. I had to use mirror mapping because the flame was reversed but after re-exporting UF stopped complaining and the image rendered fine! Albeit a bit slow, around 200 pixels per second but that was fine - better than 6pps! Only took a few hours at 1600x1200 on my P4 - 2.53gHz rig. About the same as an image with 100 layers in it. So, there IS hope for rendering them along with the other layers in UF. I'm pretty sure I rendered one way back that had a number of Apo1 flames, so I'm not sure this will work always but eventually I'll figure out what works and let y'all know. c-ya! Rick