Forum: Photography

Subject: Post work --> background isolation

Randys opened this issue on Mar 07, 2005 ยท 7 posts

Randys posted Mon, 07 March 2005 at 11:09 PM

The problem is that the background is to busy and distracting from the subject. I find this often many times I can just reposition to check for things sticking out the birds head or back or but for that matter, branches leafs ect. I start by making 3 layers in photoshop (copies) With the first I use the wand tool to select portions around the subject I only need a little space for later. Then I inverse the selection and cut. Turn the visibility off in the 2nd and 3rd layers. That leaves with the subject and some space and the rest of the background then using the lasso tool I can loop the rest of the background and cut that also. This leaves me the subject surrounded by white space it's far from perfect at this point. Don't get hung up on that now select the white space of the first layer and inverse it again. Now turn on the viability and select the second layer you should see a rough outline of the subject on the second layer now cut again. At this point you should have on layer one the subject, layer two the background with the subject cut out, and on the third layer the original picture. Turn on the visibility of the third layer and with the second still selected Use the eraser tool to clean up the void or the subject in the 2nd layer using the third layer as a guide. When you are done cleaning up the void of the subject in layer 2 use the wand tool to select that void in the second layer. With the selection made chose the third layer and copy from the original you should now have a very good copy of the subject paste it on top of layer 1 so now you have 4 layers I compare the two subject layer and make any corrections needed and link them and flatten the linked layers. Now I can blur the 2nd layer (background) for effect it this photo I used gaussin blur at 2.4 pixles and then used radial blur set to zoom at 11 them in the 2nd layer I set it to multiply to darken the effect. Now you can turn on the visibility of all three layers and you can see the effect. I them check it for any holes and flatten after checking it out. I hope you can follow this I know why I'm not a technical writer, it is really quick and dramatic. Randy