Forum: Fractals

Subject: Conundrum... need advice...

tdierikx opened this issue on Mar 10, 2005 ยท 9 posts

tdierikx posted Thu, 10 March 2005 at 2:32 AM

I was browsing a popular fractal site and found an image in another artist's gallery that is more than similar to one of mine... and has been posted much more recently than my particular image was... and since I made a few of my flames available to be used as "starter" flames for others. I'm quite happy for people to take my "starter" flames and make something new and cool from them - but this particular image hasn't even done that... looks like a slight blur and a slightly different gradient have been applied and nothing else. The image is virtually a carbon copy of my original - which is what drew my attention to it in the first place... Now... I'm sort of stuck between being flattered that this person loved my original so much that they decided to keep it virtually the same... and being somewhat outraged that if they have taken my original and called it their own with very little tweaking, that they could at least give some credit for the basis of that flame. Right now I'm erring on the side of caution and optimism here - and am deciding to be pretty darned flattered... but I'm sure many of you can see the conundrum I'm facing here. What is really strange is that when one looks at all of the other flames in this person's gallery, they are so much more intricate than anything I've ever produced - in fact they are amazingly detailed and truly beautiful works of art. Another thing is that the name on the gallery doesn't match up to any names on the member list for that site that I can find - so I can't even ask that person in private whether they managed to generate that particular flame by some random event. I know with my version it took a hell of a lot of tweaking and scripts to get that flame to come out like it did... So what do you all think? Honest opinions happily accepted... lol! T.

Who? Me?