Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Slightly Cynical :)

Fugazi1968 opened this issue on Mar 17, 2005 ยท 14 posts

Fugazi1968 posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:48 AM

Just a thought, do you think that Daz'z apparantly generous offer of V3 and M3 for free was in respose to the impending release of poser 6. An attempt maybe to consolidate their hold on the figure market before the release of the new CL figures (Jessi and James (dear lord every time I hear it I think Pokemon)). Anyway as I said just a slightly cynical thought :) John

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

eirian posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 2:11 AM

Given how many other original figures are included in P6, it's possible. Likely, even. But it's good business sense and it's the same model DAZ is using for Studio: base is free, the essential enhancements cost more. I kinda like it. It gives you the chance to test things out and make an informed choice about how much to spend. And with other merchants creating add-ons, you don't necessarily have to spend that extra at DAZ. Okay, most V3 and M3 packages require the DAZ morphs, but there are some based on custom morphs or magnets. All you need is the now-free base.

operaguy posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 2:12 AM

Yes, I think that was a very important factor in their decision. But there's nothing cynical or wrong with that. It's a business strategy decision. I am NOT a fan of DAZ products, but acknowlege how smart and right they were to do what they did. Smart move. ::::: Opera :::::

Birddie posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 2:58 AM

That's how they get you addicted and suck you in. :)

philebus posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 7:02 AM

Um...Pokemon? I thought of the outlaw, what's the connection with the card game?

momodot posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 8:50 AM

I just wish some one would subvert the generous gift by provinding a freibie morph set... maybe I should install and make some myself though I don't actually have the memory/CPU to actually run the figures... I just hate missing out on the clothes... maybe I should just paste the Milenium head on them.

Little_Dragon posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 9:11 AM

Um...Pokemon? I thought of the outlaw, what's the connection with the card game? Jessie and James, a.k.a. Team Rocket.

PapaBlueMarlin posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 10:36 AM

I wish they had fixed the shoulders before giving them away for free, especially since a lot of us bought them before and raised issues with the shoulders...

philebus posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 11:48 AM

I clearly don't watch enough TV - one of the younger lads at worked clued me in about Team Rocket and how everyone but me seems to know who they are! I see what you mean, not a great choice of names but then I never liked giving names to pixels and polygons in that way, they become too much like Sindy (showing my age) or Barbie dolls when I do that. Just a quirk of mine.

thefixer posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:01 PM

That's assuming that merchants support the new Poser 6 people better than they supported Don and Judy!!! Don't all flame me at once, just an observation!!!! ;-))

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Fugazi1968 posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:06 PM

Well I for onw will do some products and freebies for the new figures :) it will make a nice change, to work on something else. :) John.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

thefixer posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:10 PM

Good to hear it John, if you need any testers!!! ;-))

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

philebus posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 12:18 PM

I think that merchant support will rest on the quality of the models. I don't have P5 but I've always thought that Don and Judy looked ugly with putty faces. If Jessie and James are as good as we will dare hope (I don't dare too much), then folk will want to use them.

nomuse posted Thu, 17 March 2005 at 1:20 PM

Well...at least there isn't a new Mil Cat named Meowth....