Forum: Vue

Subject: Gallery comments(for newbies)

Samhain74 opened this issue on Mar 20, 2005 ยท 4 posts

Samhain74 posted Sun, 20 March 2005 at 2:54 AM

Hello all, I like so many thousands here am new to this CG thing and am strictly a hobbiest.I support new comers with a passion as i was by certain individuals when i was arrogantly ready to give up from lack of comments.All that has changed and i have personally decided to not worry about the amount of comments on my images buy by the calibre of the artist who comments,we must admit that for most of us criticism and comments are a way to learn for mostly non art students who wanna learn.Not to many people here seem interested in helping in the gallery itself anymore,but in the forum there is an abundance of it.Anyway,my question is to the newbies that do consiter comments important(and oldbies if you desire) What do you consiter more important to the commets,quantity of comments or the calibre of the artist who posts them?Curious minds want to know.Thanks for your time. S74

wabe posted Sun, 20 March 2005 at 3:51 AM

I personally don't count the amount of comments or viewings, i am not interested wether i am in the Hot20 or not nor anything else like that. To me important are comments that are originally and show me that the story i wanted to tell with an image is interesting for others as well. That the image causes a sort of fun or joy ideally. Of course critique is important too. If this critique does not try to push my image into a direction that is not in my intention. Content issues for example. Normally my images are planned well and don't need help in my eyes with that. If there is something that can be technically done better - let me know, i am happy to hear that.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

tlaloc321 posted Sun, 20 March 2005 at 5:04 PM

I like to check the galleries of everyone who posts a comment and it is so heartening to see a positive comment from someone whose art you truly admire. It also makes me feel good to post long winded effusive comments on images in galleries that seems to not be getting the attention they deserve. I posted to one such artist whose work I found simply perfection and the next thing I knew he had bought one of the items on my wishlist for both of us. What is more, I - as a fellow newbie - have discovered the power of the favorite artists list. It is like a tangled web within the web and is a powerfull resource for finding like minded artists. If someone likes my work, I check their work, usually love it, then I check thier favorite artists list and find a ton more work that I otherwise might have missed. I think this might be the source of some of the gripes people have about clique-ish behavior when it comes to voting and commenting. I can now spend an hour just looking at art posted by people I have added to my favorite artists list and forget to look through the new postings of other people. I love the favorite artists feature but it might be having the unintended consequence of denying exposure opportunities for new folks. Just a thought.

Samhain74 posted Mon, 21 March 2005 at 2:05 AM

And a good thought it is tlaloc321,this is the kind of behavior that does in fact deny newcomers the exposure they deserve and we are all guilty of it without a doubt.I to spend most of the evening sifting through all of my favourte artists posts to really feel like brousing the new stuff ocassionaly,sad but true,we are a "clickish" group of people.