Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Sigh - short trans map story

whoopdat opened this issue on Jan 22, 2001 ยท 6 posts

whoopdat posted Mon, 22 January 2001 at 11:05 PM

Agh...quick and painful story with a moral: After spending a couple of hours working on a trans map last night, and working with it today, I had problems with getting a "ghost" of part of the object remaining. After checking the settings in Poser about 25 times and finding them to be perfect every time, I was about to come here and ask and even had it all typed up. After typing "I even checked the black in the trans map" it dawned on me that I hadn't. The moral? Make sure your black is black, not almost black. /me sighs. I guess there's a first time for everything to happen, though I'm not sure how I managed to get the black wrong.

MikeJ posted Mon, 22 January 2001 at 11:20 PM

Was it that Windoze grayscale thingie, because I don't think the last one is true black. Something like that recently happened to me, but it was for a terrain map instead. About tore my hair out trying to figger it out! But I guess you know that feeling, eh? Sorry to hear it...it IS frustrating. :( --Mike

nfredman posted Tue, 23 January 2001 at 10:39 AM

Hi, whoopdat-- Since i'm still fiddling with transmaps, could you expand on the "check the black" part? Do you mean go read the RGB when you have the map loaded in Photoshop and see that the value is 0,0,0? White shows, black masks. i recently changed a texture map for a simple dress & added a transmap for same. How far over the black line edges of the UV map do you have to paint? i was getting funny streaks not the color i applied on the seams, and yet i'd overlapped them somewhat. Thanks-- Nan

bloodsong posted Tue, 23 January 2001 at 11:33 AM

heyas; on the texture map, make sure the parts you want fully transparent are BLACK. note if you use jpgs, the jpg compression may make some black areas less black. use gif or tif. in poser, make sure highlights are BLACK. highlights show up even on 100% transparent things. very annoying, when that's not what you meant it to do. :)

whoopdat posted Tue, 23 January 2001 at 6:56 PM

Yeah, what bloodsong said. :) Since it's a trans map you can get away with a gif or something, but if you're lazy like me and use jpgs, make sure your compression isn't too high or you'll lose the black as he said. I think my problem was caused by not changing my transparency on my layers (I think i exported my image into a jpg at 95% opacity instead of 100% opacity, because last night I kept noticing the bar wasn't going to 100% in PSP until I moved it a second time, and now I remember to watch that closely). So long as it's true black, and your highlights are black (and trans settings are set) you should be ok.

black-canary posted Wed, 24 January 2001 at 10:15 AM

Also make sure your transparency falloff is 0 or it'll give you a faint edge on your trans object...