Forum: Photography

Subject: Images in my gallery are darker/less detailed than the originals

greybeard101 opened this issue on Apr 05, 2005 ยท 8 posts

greybeard101 posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 1:28 PM

Can anyone shed some light (pardon the pun) on why the images that show up in my thumbnails and gallery are darker than the images I upload? I find that I have to edit them right after they are visible on the gallery and even then they don't show the detail in my original photo. As an experiment I downloaded my latest image of the trucks sitting at night from my gallery and that downloaded image shows more detail in the shadows than what appears on the screen in my gallery. The current image of the trucks is not what I wanted to be viewed as it has lost so much detail in the added shadows. Thanks for any advice. Peter

cynlee posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 2:04 PM

blush here i am again :]
if i were to hazard a guess... it may be the compression it goes through when uploaded & loses a bit of detail as a .jpg? although that wouldn't explain... saving a shot already in your gallery & viewing it, that it looks better... hmmm :/ don't know, would be interested to see other possible explanations...

Message edited on: 04/05/2005 14:06

TwoPynts posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 2:18 PM

It looks like your images are fairly artifact free so I'd surmise that it isn't your compression ratio. I had a similar problem, only the opposite way. I was working in Photoshop under a specific gamma and color space and was always surpised to see my image lighten and color shift when they were online. I looked into it and found I needed to keep a consistent color space throughout my applications and for my monitor. I'm on a Mac, so I probably can't tell you do fix it, but I went into my control panels and set my color space to Web RGB. Now what I see online and what I work with all look the same.

That's my fix, it may not work for you....good luck Peter!

Message edited on: 04/05/2005 14:19

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

greybeard101 posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:04 PM

Thanks I'll see if I can figure out how to do that on my PC...hmmm...now let's see...what does this little button so.....ooops now I can't see anything.....

cynlee posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:14 PM

LOL!!! :] as Kort suggested, could be something to do with the difference of "web" viewing... i'm leaving this to the techies, adi amigo...

TwoPynts posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 3:18 PM

Haha. Well, since you can no longer read this, I'll leave you to your own devices and spread my helpful knowledge elsewhere. ;]

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

tibet2004uk posted Tue, 05 April 2005 at 6:26 PM

LOL@Kort!! I really can't help u here dear! Sorry! :( Sounds really odd to me!

DJB posted Wed, 06 April 2005 at 12:04 AM

Maybe it is the colour of background you have set for your Renderosity settings.That can change the contrast from what your eyes see.I have mine on black always.So possibly it is not your image,but the suroundings. Also if you have a LCD monitor the difference in height you view changes the lightness. These are just my guesses.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."