Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: ~*April Poser Challenge!*~

KimberlyC opened this issue on Apr 08, 2005 ยท 60 posts

KimberlyC posted Fri, 08 April 2005 at 11:55 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/contest.ez?contest_id=509&Form

Hi Gang!

This month our challenge is to make a Book Cover for a novel. It can be any type of Novel (Example: Funny, Romantic, Mystery etc.) You can include your own title and authors name. Keep in mind you cannot recreate an already made book cover. That would be a copyright violation.

Rules:

Final render must be in Poser, any version.

No nudity, implied sexuality, or violence.

Open to all Renderosity members.

Please keep the images to a maximum of 800 pixels by 600 pixels and not more than 150k.

Thumbnails MUST be included, and must be the correct size: 100 X 100 pixels.

Challenge starts "April 9, 2005" and ends "Friday, May 6, 2005" at "Midnight" Renderosity time.

One image per person. Feel free to post your WIP's in the Poser Forum for feedback.

Gold Challenger picks the next month's theme subject to approval by the challenge managers.

Can't wait to see what you can come up with!!

Ryuslilangel
Poser Moderator

Message edited on: 04/08/2005 23:57

SamTherapy posted Fri, 08 April 2005 at 11:59 PM

Nice subject. :) I have mine already lined up. Is postwork allowed? Not that I will - just to clarify.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

KimberlyC posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 12:06 AM

Thats great!.. Well... lets make a small poll. Would you all like to have postwork allowed?? I understand that some people feel strongly about no postwork but myself I feel nekkid without it. So.. What do you guys think?? Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

anxcon posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 12:11 AM

no postwork if it has to be rendered in poser, then leave it that if i want to postwork an image, i could make it look like million dollar art, and in the end, the render in poser part would be totally meaningless either pick a render engine, and no postwork or any engine allowed, and allow postwork

Shadow_Fyre posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 12:37 AM

I vote no postwork..pure poser render, but....I always like to see body parts tucked away if they show where they're not supposed to, so for that I always postwork the odd body part showing. So, I guess that means I actually mean slight postwork, if it's needed to fix little things.

SamTherapy posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 12:46 AM

I'd go for none at all, including the title and author's name. But that's just to be a smartass, so I'll happily go with the majority vote.

My Store

My Gallery

anxcon posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 1:31 AM

adding a sig can easily be done before render :x

thixen posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 1:47 AM

either is fine by me. Personally I would like to see post allowed, but I don't need to use it since 99% of my work is no post anyhow

Ascinct posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 2:33 AM

Comeon - Postwork - we need it! I dont own any clothing or hair props!!!! So we need postwork so I can at least have clothing on my figures!

cherokee69 posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 4:38 AM

No postwork. It's good to see just how good someone is with Poser without postwork.

randym77 posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 6:43 AM

I vote for "no postwork" (except maybe the text). One, most contests and challenges allow postwork, so this would be different. Two, it's a Poser challenge, not an art contest. The point, IMO, is what you can do with Poser, not what you can do with Photoshop. And it's just a challenge - no prizes or anything. If someone cheats and uses postwork, big deal - they're only cheating themselves.

Ascinct, there's plenty of free clothing and hair available. Poser comes with several hair props. Koz and Studio Maya offer free hair that's better than most of the hair being sold. If you're not using a popular figure like V3, clothing is more difficult, but dynamic clothing can be easily fit to any character.

cherokee69 posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 6:47 AM

"The point, IMO, is what you can do with Poser, not what you can do with Photoshop." I totally agree with randym77.

Ariah posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 8:18 AM

I'd go for no postwork on the render itself - but the text can be added later, in a graphic programme. After all it's a challenge!

svdl posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 8:53 AM

Like most of the previous posts, I'd go for no postwork, except for the text. It's a Poser challenge, not a Photoshop challenge!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ericwiz posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 9:40 AM

Hey why not go hardcore? No postwork at all including the text and sigs. It is a challenge after all. Whats the challenge if it's easy? E

randym77 posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 9:47 AM

I could go for that. The point of a challenge is to stretch yourself, right?

However, I think banning even text might make it too hard for beginners. Maybe offer "extra credit" for people who render even their sigs and other text?

Or, someone could offer a freebie 3D alphabet, or tutorials on other ways to get text into the render.

svdl posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 9:50 AM

Not a bad idea, getting the text into the render. Why not draw the text in a paint program and use it as a texture/trans map on a simple plane? Then it's all rendered.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ericwiz posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:00 AM

That would work. I was thinking about maybe using Shade to make the text as another idea if not a texture. I know not everyone has it so I would be willing to help. So many ways to go about this. I'm a newbie but this is just the sort of thing to help hone the skills. This should be fun!

randym77 posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:09 AM

I usually do at least some postwork, but I think this would be a fun challenge. The last time I entered a "no postwork" challenge, I learned how to displacement map my signature onto a rock, so it looked like it had been chiseled there. (Sort of - it was hard to get rid of all the texture stretching.)

OTOH, it seems like this could end up taking over the challenge. "Text without postwork" could be a render challenge all its own.

steerpike posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 10:16 AM

Sounds a good challenge. I'd go for the "no postwork except text" option - but would compositing be allowed?

Could you clarify something? Can we create a cover for an already-published book or does the title as well as the image have to be entirely our own?

I have something I worked on a while ago which would fit, but it's for an existing book rather than an imagined one.

KimberlyC posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 6:30 PM

Ok.. Looks like we have no postwork. Thanks for your imput all! :)

Bobasaur posted Sat, 09 April 2005 at 8:08 PM

A book cover without nudity, implied sexuality or violence? Do they write those kinds of books anymore?

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Ascinct posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 12:26 AM

ok, it appears Ive been out spoken!! LOL! Ill look for some free hair and clothing!! Cant wait to start!!

JenX posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 1:00 AM

steerpike - As far as the bookcovers go, we would rather they be "imaginary" titles, that way there is no conflict in regards to intellectual properties. Thanks! MorriganShadow Poser Coord.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

hauksdottir posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 7:20 AM

No postwork... including the text? Does that have to be rendered also?

jediclone posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 1:18 PM

Ehmm... no postwork?... I think its good for that. Maybe he want us to show the power of Poser. Keep up the greatest masterpiece win!

AntoniaTiger posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 1:45 PM

Imaginary titles? I suppose "Internal Revenue Agents of Gor" is still going to fail for other reasons.

KimberlyC posted Sun, 10 April 2005 at 9:00 PM

As in the rules a Title and author can be added. :) Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

hauksdottir posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 4:29 AM

"Agent Mitzy Halfelven and the Vaguaries of Happenstance" probably won't fly off the shelves, either.

steerpike posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 5:54 AM

Understood on imaginary titles (there goes 'Ringworld Nightsoil Collectors'...) and postwork. Could you confirm a yes or no on compositing, please? Ta.

cherokee69 posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 6:06 AM

The is all very simple....DO NOT use an existing bookcover but come up with you own idea for one, do all your work in Poser, the only postwork allowed is to add a title and your signature if you need those. Is that correct Ryuslilangel?

hauksdottir posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 6:42 AM

Well... if mine exists somewhere this side of reality, I want to buy it! :wide grin:

AntoniaTiger posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 7:24 AM

Semi-seriously... Copyright doesn't apply to titles, but trademarks might. "Mortimer Mouse and the Temple of Doom" would be asking for trouble. There are a few other cans of aorms associated with things like TV/movie tie-ins and the actors' distinctive likenesses. Also, I am not doing the Ace Double that combines War God of Israel with The Thing With Three Brains. And I do not want to know what some of you perverted Poser people might do with Swallows And Amazons Personally, if I try for this one I am not going to go for the obvious jokes. There are websites full of warped romance novel covers. And there's a lot more than fiction. And if you can't think of a title, open your nearest Dictionary of Quotations and look up William Shakespeare.

naumatt posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 3:02 PM

Howdy. This may be a silly question, but I would like to be sure so I don't disqualify myself. Does importing a background count as postwork? For example, if I made a terragen background, and the final thing I do is hit "render", is that still considered postwork? I'm excited about this! I think I can convert the project I'm working on right now...

KimberlyC posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 6:16 PM

Thats right cherokee69 ... Naumatt: It the Final Render must be in Poser :) AntoniaTiger: the point is to make everything your own...and not from another book :) Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

Mariana_ posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 9:42 PM

woooohooooooooooooooo finally Inspiration to make a cover for a story im writing!!, runs off to do her book cover

Lzy724 posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:03 AM

Hmmm, I was interested in this, but Im not that good at only Poser so I would need the postwork to finish it up, so count me out. Maybe next time, good luck to all.

Ascinct posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:43 AM

LOL, I am no good without postwork! But, I am entering, Just to see how well I can do, without it!

Mariana_ posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 2:16 PM

how long does it usually take for the images to show?? i just want to make sure i didnt mess up during entry and have ta re submit :)

KimberlyC posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 6:45 PM

Mariana I haven't seen an entry from you.. if you did upload. You may want to re-upload if so :( :) Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

Mariana_ posted Wed, 13 April 2005 at 9:10 PM

Ryus okies hon on my way to re submit ^.^ ty

QSabot posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 2:04 AM

What about DAZ|Studio renders? Some of us do not actually have Poser, but would love to enter.

Message edited on: 04/14/2005 02:08

randym77 posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 5:11 AM

Don't they have challenges in the D|S Forum? If not, maybe you should start them! The Challenge Forum also has monthly challenges that are open to everyone.

lindans posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 10:36 AM

OK, If no postwork is allowed how do you create text in P5? Please.

Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face. I am a traveler of both time and space ....Kashmir, Led Zeppelin

randym77 posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 4:49 PM

You are allowed to postwork the text. But it is possible to do it without postwork, using transparency or displacement maps, if you feel up for a challenge. :-) Another possibility: model the letters, or find some someone else has modelled.

KimberlyC posted Thu, 14 April 2005 at 11:58 PM

QSabot, I'm sorry to say but its for poser only. :( Ryuslilangel Poser Moderator

QSabot posted Fri, 15 April 2005 at 8:36 AM

Heck, I think I'll do one anyway and just post it, external to the contest. It's a great idea to start from, thanks! Good luck, y'all!

DarthJ posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 1:20 PM

My contribution is already posted, so it is to late for me, but if anyone wants some "real" poser-letters there is a set available in the freebies : go to freestuff, do a search on "alphabet letters". Look for the one proclaiming (among other things) "props fixed" by Jasonwells10. Hit download. End up on his home page, there are 5 available freebies among which the letter-set. Download and Install. The same content in the marketplace will cost you 3x$8.50. jl a sample made as a project for another site...

Demonika posted Sun, 17 April 2005 at 4:27 PM

Interesting challenge, I'm looking forward to having a go and NOT using postwork for a change. Possible thoughts on text rendering though... Create text in your choice of graphic program, save as Jpg, apply jpg as a texture to the poser default flat square prop... hey presto! You have text within poser. Shouldn't be too hard to make a transmap either, desaturate the original jpg of the text, whack up the contrast and flip to negative. Should probably work with some tweaking. Of course this all pure conjecture so I'm not too sure if it'll work but I'll try it out later and see how it goes. I'm kinda having trouble with the "implied sexuality" thing though, is it possible to have a really clear, exact(ish) definition on that please? Looking forward to seeing the entries :-)

SamTherapy posted Tue, 19 April 2005 at 8:40 PM

"Create text in your choice of graphic program, save as Jpg, apply jpg as a texture to the poser default flat square prop... hey presto! You have text within poser." Which is exactly what I did. :) Then I made everything white on black for the transmap.

My Store

My Gallery

QSabot posted Wed, 20 April 2005 at 3:51 AM

As a matter of fact, if you have Anim8or, you can extrude some text there, save as .obj (or .3ds: does Poser do .3ds?), and import to Poser as a solid prop.

Paulric posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 2:35 PM

Just now found the challenge! Gonna have to get started in a hurry. Thanks for all the tips on 3D lettering (didn't know Anim8or could do that!). BTW, I almost NEVER do post work, and am proud of it, so this will be a real treat for me!

MissCaly posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 9:22 AM

I was very excited when I saw this challenge and decided to make this my very first contest ever entered. After working for days to get just the image I was looking for, I posted it and then much to my dismay my picture was removed and I received a notice that said I had created it incorrectly based on the size requirements. I went back and checked the other entries and found that most of them were created the same way mine was, 600x800, which is the way most books happen to be sized. I was told that all entries would have to be fixed and after a week of checking I've noticed that none of them have been changed. Now I'm not so sure how I feel about this but just wanted to post here and get some input. Am I over-reacting? Do I feel short-changed? Yeah I guess I do. Anyway I would appreciate any comments in this regard before I decide if I'm going to bother fixing my image and re-submitting it. Thanks in advance.

DarthJ posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 2:58 PM

Misscaly, you did not mention the 150k size limit. Maybe that is the problem : your book is too heavy... jl

MissCaly posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 6:42 PM

No the size limit on mine was within the guidelines and when I asked about the others I was told that everyone who was not 800x600 would have to change them, yet no one else's has been changed. Mine was actually removed altogether and not one other has been. Frustrating and very disappointing to say the least.

randym77 posted Sun, 24 April 2005 at 6:43 PM

That's silly. 600x800 is much more reasonable for a book cover.

lindafields posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:47 PM

I read thru everyone's posts and if I am to understand correctly then: NO POSTWORK ALLOWED except for text unless you decide to challenge yourself and do that in Poser as well but I am still left wondering, can backdrops be brought in for a render or does that not count since it would have been created in another program? For example: a sky made in Bryce brought in as a backdrop for a poser girl standing in a field of flowers and then it's all rendered. Would that be against the rules?

randym77 posted Thu, 28 April 2005 at 8:57 PM

That's allowed. After all, it's not postwork. Pre-work, maybe, but not postwork. ;-)

naumatt posted Fri, 29 April 2005 at 10:31 AM

Awesome. That's what I thought, but when I asked before the answer left me wondering if that was the case, or if I was just so out of the 3D loop that I was missing something obvious. :) Thanks for the clarity!

odeathoflife posted Tue, 03 May 2005 at 12:32 AM

Well I just posted my 1st poser challenge entry, and I used post work. Rendered my image in poser saved as a png and brought into fireworks for a bg image and text. If this disqualifys me then so be it ;)

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net