Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: ~ IBL / AO Animation Test ~

maxxxmodelz opened this issue on Apr 11, 2005 ยท 12 posts

maxxxmodelz posted Mon, 11 April 2005 at 12:28 AM

I've been doing some tests in P6 using the new IBL and AO features. The above image is a screencap of the video clip for those who can't play movies for some reason. Overall, this was just a quick test to assertain the quality of IBL/AO for animation purposes. Here's a link (or two) to a recent test I ran using the reduced-resolution M3. Here's the links (Quicktime required):

IBL/AO Test - Broadband version (824kb)

IBL/AO Test - Dialup version (338kb)

IBL with AO was used obviously, plus one key light (spot) with shadow map, and one kicker light (point) with no shadows.

Some things I was pleased with...

The AO came out nice and clean, no flicker.
Antialiasing was acceptable; minimal pixel crawling/roping at medium settings, and virtually none at higher settings.

Some things I was not so pleased with...

Rendertime. This clip took approximately 2 min 40 seconds PER frame, which isn't bad until you consider that it's only the one figure with no props or hair. Hair, for instance, would have added a lot more time... a still image of this scene with dynamic hair using AO and the same settings took around 50 minutes at the same size. Trans-mapped prop hair wasn't dramatically better... around 25 minutes. So, in the end, rendering this scene with IBL/AO was much faster than using actual HDRI or GI, and there was no flickering to contend with.

So overall, I was pleased with the results, but the speed still gives me reservations.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.