Forum: Photography

Subject: Old & New - WIP Opinions Please

zhounder opened this issue on Apr 21, 2005 ยท 7 posts

zhounder posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 10:08 PM

I took this at lunch today and was playing around. Just wanted your opinions. Magick Michael

tvernuccio posted Thu, 21 April 2005 at 11:28 PM

mmmmm, i really like this a lot! selective coloring with those soft pastels makes this soooo gorgeous!

DJB posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 12:20 AM

Personally I would lose the colour on buildings,and just keep the trees done. Maybe even with a little less saturation

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

cynlee posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 1:18 AM

reminds me of the movie, "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" :] think it gives it a whimsical & magical touch... & agree... the selective color on the tree alone makes it the focal point (cool skyscrapers btw)

Michelle A. posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 6:49 AM

I agree with Doug and Cindy...... just the tree, and less saturation on the color of it. I'm of the opinion that selective coloring has a tendency to be somewhat cliche and over-done, but when it's done right it's effect can be really beautiful. So for me, subtlety is key.... a light touch with maybe only one object (the main point of focus) should be colored and then it shouldn't jump out in your face.... And I do make the distinction between selective coloring and a hand-colored/tinted BW image where color is brought back into the entire piece, for me there's a difference. In anycase that's a fine shot!

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

tibet2004uk posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 5:08 PM

I agree with Doug and Cyn too!! Yep!

ebsmooth posted Fri, 22 April 2005 at 7:07 PM

nicely done Michael!!! seriously, we need to meet up so you can show me some of these spots!!!