Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: We who can't afford lightwave ...Poser still rocks

jschoen opened this issue on Jan 31, 2001 ยท 9 posts

jschoen posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 4:06 PM

Well not all of us have that unlimited money well in our back yards. But not to be disenlightened. With many of the low-priced alternatives out there, some amazing things can be done. I believe that it really is the talent of the user that makes a render. I've seen many a high-end, high-priced programs churn out some really awful stuff. And on the other hand , I've seen some absoutley blow your socks off renders done in the most surprizing programs, some which are free. So it really take the the user to find out how to stretch the capabilities of the program to do great things. though it does help to have a great program to begin with, but not nessasary. Programs like Poser 4 really can be tapped to the maximum to create things that one would think came from a higher end program. Though limited, Poser when pushed, will produce some very high-quality renders. It just takes the right eye, a few good textures, and some nice lighting. So don't be disheartened by the renders shown done in other programs that you can't afford. You still have great power with Poser 4. And who knows, we just may win the lottery and be able to buy all these programs. But just think how much better we will be when we do, because we know how to push the envelope on the programs we have. This render took me all of 20 minutes from start to the web. James

JeffH posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 4:20 PM

The key is the texture and bump maps...

Fox-Mulder posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 4:21 PM

As far as I can tell, owning Poser 4 is still a requirement for using Pro-Pack (unless I missed something). So Poser 4 will work better than Poser 3, etc. I think Pro-Pack will make Poser 4 even better but I sure ain't kicking Poser 4 out of bed...

Don posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 6:05 PM

See if you can backtrack a few days here and find my post with image of Poser-only Sketch Render style. I am finding that this feature has a LOT more potential than most Poser posers realize.

Fox-Mulder posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 6:25 PM

Don, I have been a major fan of the Poser Sketch feature for years. It was in fact the main reason I got Poser years ago. I have also collected some nice free sketch pre-sets over the years, have modified some of them, and the results are stunning. In fact Poser was originally meant to be an artist's tool to work with then Fractal Design's Painter. But hardly anyone seems to use them or post artwork with them. I believe I may have been the first person to discover and report back to MetaCreations the work-around to get higher-rez sketch renders out of Poser using the Make Movie feature. Yet hardly anyone seems to do much with it. The sketch features are great, but I think 90% of the Poser user base (at least among males) uses Poser to render nude girls with huge boobs and detailed vaginas and weird monsters (That should make some people out there excited and upset...) I have certainly done my share, heh heh...

clsteve posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 9:33 PM

Yes, the Pro Pack does require Poser 4. ******************* Steve Yatson Poser Product Manager http://www.curiouslabs.com *******************

milamber42 posted Wed, 31 January 2001 at 10:24 PM

jschoen, Nice render! Ever consider a tutorial? Or have you already written one? Fox, I've recently started playing around with the Sketch feature. Any info on sketch pre-sets would be appreciated. Also, what is this work-around?

Fox-Mulder posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 1:01 AM

Milamber- 1. Make sure you have Poser set up to do a Sketch Render of your choice (render one just to be sure) 2. Go To Animation Setup, select a frame size of 2048 x 1024 (or whatever ratio you like) Make Frame Rate and Frame Count as "1" 3. Go to Make Movie, select Sequence Type as "Image File" Resolution "Full", Quality "Current SKETCH setting" Select Use This Frame rate as "1" 4. Poser will ask you what to name the file and the save file format (I use PSD because I do post work in Photoshop) That should start it going. After it is done rendering, open it up in Photoshop and you can rez-it up to 4K or whatever and apply other filters like sharpening, etc. I sometimes even apply other texture backgrounds and other Photoshop filters. The end result is VERY MUCH like "real art"

mewill posted Wed, 16 January 2002 at 11:09 PM