Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Question for the community

Hypatia opened this issue on Feb 01, 2001 ยท 6 posts

Hypatia posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 9:21 PM

I appreciate all of the tech help I have recieved on this board. I'm the civil servant with the childbirth animation project. Another part of my job is promotional brochures for our department. We are a test shop for Windows 2000, and I was having major problems printing with Pagemaker 6.5. As many of you know, Adobe is not supporting PM6.5 for 2k. I went back to 98 and have had no problems since. As far as I am concerned the problem is solved. However, I missed the last departmental meeting due to a surgical procedure, and have been told by another colleage that concerns were expressed in that "the printing problems were probably caused by those 3-d programs." It was apparently agreed that I should "load one, then wait a week. .." I have printed out posts from the Adobe PageMaker forum documenting the Windows 2k/Pagemaker problems, but here's my question: Out of respect for my colleages concerns, has anyone ever had ANY problems printing from ANY OTHER programs on a Pentium III running '98 with Poser 4, Bryce or Rhino loaded on their machines? Your experience and professional opinions will be most appreciated. Although it is a bit off topic, these same concerns have been voiced about my having my Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks for another project loaded as well. I would like to take your reponses to our next departmental meeting. Your professional opinions will be most appreciated. Thank you, Hypatia

chromecafe posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 10:16 PM

I have most f the programs you mention and a dual operating system and can honestly say it has never affected my printing maybe its your print driver software?

afish posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 10:48 PM

From the sounds of it, it's Win2K. My day job is in IT support and we're still testing Win2K on some machines....finding all sorts of odd bugs/problems with software/hardware used in our company when installed on a Win2K machine. The problems with Win2K could run from driver support to software compatibility...and then some! If the problem went away with going back to Win98, I agree with you, problem solved. I dread the day when my boss tells me we're gonna switch to Win2K.

Marque posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 11:28 PM

I've been running win2k as well as win98. I think on some of the adobe programs you will have to make sure you have a postscript driver installed for pagemaker even if you don't have a postscript printer. I know that Acrobat ran fine on my win98 machine, but I needed to download and install a postscript driver for my win2k machine. You might try that. I've got a ton of 3D software on this and my other systems and have yet to have a problem with printing. Also, have you thought about setting up your pagemaker program, then go in as a different user and set up your 3D software. That may take care of the problem altogether. Good luck with it, Marque

Digit8r posted Thu, 01 February 2001 at 11:37 PM

I seriously doubt it would be caused by a 3d program, they mostly use standard windows fonts if they use them at all. Adobe Software, esp. PM, is more likely a problem, as it can use postscript fonts (and the notoriously buggy on windows ATM -adobe type manager-), more likely to cause trouble. As far as system software, 3D software generally uses Direct3d or OpenGL, neither of which has anything to do with printing. FWIW, I have Max, World Construction Set, Poser, PS6, Illustrator, Bryce, on my Wn2k machine, connected to an NT4 Server Domain (with other NT4/Win2k/MacOS9/X machines), and print to an HP Laser Writer and Apple Laser writer with no trouble. By the way, what is the point of "loading one, then waiting a week?" If a program is going to cause a network printing problem, I can't think of any reason it would take a week to cause it (Standard trouble shooting would be load the program, print from it, see if printing is still working normally, then try another program;-). Good luck!

Hypatia posted Fri, 02 February 2001 at 2:37 PM

I greatly appreciate your replies. I feel well prepared for the next time this issue is brought up, and due to your tactful eloquence, I can hopefully dispense with issues and get back to work. I've been working on these projects at home on my own time. Freelancing was easier in some ways, but I like the more regular cash flow.