Forum: Carrara

Subject: Deeper, Baker...

TOXE opened this issue on May 27, 2005 ยท 4 posts

TOXE posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 8:57 AM

Hi all, i've purchased deeper and baker some days ago. It seems that lately i'm enough stupid or in italy is too hot;-) Example, i've created a sphere, then shading it with a bump channel, baking the bump channel with baker and create a normal map. Import the normal map in the bump channel using deeper or baker. My bump appear exactly as a normal bump. What i have made that don't work?! -TOXE

goofball posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:22 AM

Baker is helpfull with Anything Grooves objects, create the object and apply an Anything Grooves deformer with the bump that you would like, then try baking it into a normal map.

falconperigot posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:33 AM

TOXE, you've got to have geometry to bake a normal map. Basically you use a high-res version of your model to produce the normal map, then apply it to and render the low res version.

falconperigot posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 11:51 AM

Try this:

Place a Sphere in the VM, select all and extrude with unlinked polys, manual offset 1.00. Flip back to the Assembly Room and with the sphere selected bake a normal map, save it, then flip back to the VM. Undo the extrude. Now apply the normal map and render.

Message edited on: 05/27/2005 11:52