Forum: Vue

Subject: Gray leaves on Plants?

Mazak opened this issue on May 27, 2005 ยท 8 posts

Mazak posted Fri, 27 May 2005 at 1:41 PM

I have a strange problem with Mexican Palm (and some other) trees in Vue Infinite. Some palm leaves have no texture and render gray. I didnt touched the textures. I have tested with patch 276505 and 276828. Any ideas what cause the problem? Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

Fazzel posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:15 AM

The fronds on my palm trees turn light brown when they die.

lanaloe77 posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 12:37 AM

In the tree editor you can make the size of the gray leaves be 0 or -100 and they won't show up at all. Perhaps that may help.

Mazak posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 4:00 AM

There is no 2nd subset for grey leaves in Plant Editor. The editor is useless in this case. I did not understand the effect :/ Mazak

Google+ Bodo Nittel 

lingrif posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 6:35 AM

I was paying close attention to dead palm leaves on my walk this morning, and depending on the light (and species) they can look brownish/greyish. I think to minimize that effect, you'll have to play with lighting effects. More overhead, less ambient. Something like that. It would be nice if we had more control in the editor.

www.lingriffin.com

lanaloe77 posted Sat, 28 May 2005 at 2:20 PM

sorry, it's the other palm tree. If you get creative you can make that palm tree look like the other.

Message edited on: 05/28/2005 14:29

Poseur posted Sun, 29 May 2005 at 4:00 PM

This looks like a "feature" of the SolidGrowth generator for this species. To illustrate this, make the leaves 100% transparent so they disappear and load solid colours into the trunk and stem materials. You'll notice the colour of the stems closest to the trunk is desaturated to a greyish tone. It seems the colour of any leaf materials attached to these stems is also automatically desaturated. I agree the desaturation is too strong and brown would be a better colour than grey for dead leaves, but unfortunately I don't think we can change this aspect of this species' SolidGrowth algorithm.

lanaloe77 posted Mon, 30 May 2005 at 12:46 AM

One creative way is to export the tree, fix the map, and then import it back to vue.