Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Geek Alert!

Dale B opened this issue on Jun 11, 2005 ยท 25 posts

Dale B posted Sat, 11 June 2005 at 6:43 PM

Okay. This is Poser related in that I want to get my bloody computer upgraded and running so I can =USE= the damned program! Yes, I'm still fighting with it. What I have at the moment is a Soltek Pro mobo for the Athlon 64 (socket 939). And currently it is hosting an Athlon 64 3200+ (the Venice core). There is one 120 gig Maxtor SATA HDD, and Asus PCI-E Nvidia 6200 video card (128 megs on card ram), an SB 24 basic sound card in one PCI slot, and a 40X CD reader on IDE 1 (There's also a 550 watt power supply) The OS is Win2k Pro SP2. On startup, the default windows .wav file breaks up, like it is starting and stopping, or the audio is cutting in and out. Occasionally this happens with Winamp, and if I close Winamp while an mp3 is playing, it stutters on for a couple of seconds before the sound stops. Adobe Audition is utterly crippled. A Quicktime file's sound will lag the video by almost a second on the first run, although it tracks properly after playing through once. Games -play- fine, but saving and loading can be problematic, with stutters in sound and all the evidence of something not wanting to pass data like is should (hence the reason I don't dare risk the 40+ gig runtime or the scene and animation files I already have). The current 120 gig Maxtor is the 3rd new drive I've tried; the first was a 160 gig Seagate that might have been damaged when the first upgrade board -did- blow. So I tried an 80 gig Seagate, and when I got the same behavior, switched to a Maxtor drive in case it was something funky in the Seagate firmware. Another oddity is that when I try and install XP-Pro, it BSOD's during the pre-installing load and system check with an error message involving pci.sys. I can't figure this out; have I managed to get 2 bad mobo's from different companies at different times? Is this something that involves OS incompatibility? I've never hit this kind of entransigent glitch, and it is really starting to annoy me. Help?