Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Dynamic Hair collisions

chrisdoa opened this issue on Jun 15, 2005 ยท 9 posts

chrisdoa posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 7:17 AM

Hi! I'm having problems with long dynamic hair falling through Vicki's head when she tilts it to the side. I've got collisions on but the hair will not lie on her head just falls through. Any ideas what I can do. Chris

Fugazi1968 posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 8:18 AM

I have the same issue :) would love to know the answer.

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

kirwyn posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 9:42 AM

As well as checking the "do Collisions" box in the hair room, you must also check the collision box in the "parameter properties" palette for each body part that will come in contact with the hair. (head, neck, shoulders, etc.)

Fugazi1968 posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 10:08 AM

spot on :) thanks kiryn

Fugazi (without the aid of a safety net)

https://www.facebook.com/Fugazi3D

chrisdoa posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 2:50 PM

Thanks for that. It seems to really slow things down tho'infact it seems to freeze my machine. I have P6 on anAMD64 3500 and 2 gig.Am I doing anything wrong do you think?

kirwyn posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 4:12 PM

It's a little difficult to know what is wrong. Is this dynamic hair you have grown from a pre-existing scullcap or are you growing it directly from the figure's head? The problem you describe sounds much like "polygon overload". More polygons equals more hair and this in turn makes your computer have to calculate more collisions. Another factor that causes a slow-down in calculation is the figure itself. The hair has to also calculate collisions on the figure's polygons, so the more polygons a figure has; the slower the calculation. Also, the longer the hair, the slower the calculation. Something that might help in explaining this is some hair available in the freebie section called "Genesis Hair for Jessi". Follow the enclosed tutorial and it should work on your computer. If you look at it in wireframe mode, you will see that the scull-cap and proxy figure are made up of only a few polygons which helps to lessen the time needed for calculation. Hope this helps.

kirwyn posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 4:25 PM

I forgot to mention that there is "Genesis Hair V3" for Vicki 3 also available in the Free section. It is the same
hair as that for Jessi, but it is parented to a Vicki 3
proxy figure instead.

Message edited on: 06/15/2005 16:30

chrisdoa posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 6:23 PM

Just bought genesis2, so I'm going to have play with that. I also tried Gensis for V3. Its the reason I'm persevering with dynamic hair as it gives a much better look than i previously seen from this type of hair.Before your work I been a bit unconvinced, but I now seen the results when its well set up, Cheers Chris

kirwyn posted Wed, 15 June 2005 at 6:55 PM

That'll work :) Thanks Chris!