Forum: Bryce

Subject: Oh, Oh...I need help, probably simple, but I am clueless

Poppi opened this issue on Feb 12, 2001 ยท 13 posts

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 4:20 PM

I took a little lantern model into Bryce to give it glass, etc. For whatever reason, when I went to export it, the export object command was grayed out. I rebooted, but it still won't work. I haven't had this problem before, so I am clueless as to how to fix it. If someone does have a clue, or two, I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Deathbringer posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 4:46 PM

I am at work when I am answering this, but something that comes to mind is maybe using the "select all" and then group the whole thing and see then. Just an idea.

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 5:03 PM

No...I tried that. It won't even let me export a simple sphere. I hate to reinstall it as, I know someone probably has encountered this before. It was fine last night.

Deathbringer posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 6:42 PM

You might try the reinstall. I believe if you dont do the remove before you do the install it will save anything you have imported, so that will save you that work.. I will try it out when I get home tonight and see if I can duplicate the problem and figure an out for it.

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 6:54 PM

Thank you. I have all my bryce junk in a separate folder, so won't lose it...Yes, it is a little longer to save it, or cope with it that way...but...I would hate to lose my bryce stuff...orrrr....my poser stuff due to one of them crashing. I don't want to reinstall it, though...I just want to go along on my merry way and put my props into poser with my figure...so i can render and be done with it. This one graphic has been a curse for me.

jade_nyc posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 7:24 PM

Once you import a mesh into Bryce the only way to export it again is to click on the E box for edit and then hit Ctrl-D if you're on a PC - don't know what the key combination is for a Mac - and then you can export it as a .3ds, obj, etc. file again. Hope this helps you out, Jade

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 7:28 PM

Oh, Jade...thank you so much!! I was wondering if the .3ds played a part in all this, as before I have only imported .obj files into Bryce. I was in a hurry for my props, today, and just skipped that step. Let me try it.

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 7:36 PM

Jade...I thank you so very much. It worked!!! And here, I sat having such dire thoughts that my system was crashing or something. Have a wonderful evening..you made mine alot better I can tell you!! Also, Death, thank you for trying to help.

jade_nyc posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 7:41 PM

No problem Poppi - until very recently I was always under the impression that once you imported a mesh you could never get it out again and then someone at 3D Commune clued me in on this 'secret' key combination. Glad I could help and glad you didn't have to reinstall! Jade

Poppi posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 8:15 PM

You sure did help me. I knew it had to come out again...well, i believed that i knew that. Therefore, I blamed it on my system. (I do that often, actually.) Wow..I learned something tonight.

jade_nyc posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 8:54 PM

Well that's what's great about these forums - I'm amazed at all the help people offer and all the things I learn - glad I was the one to help out for a change! Instead of being the one always asking for help :D Jade

Swade posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 9:31 PM

I would just like to comment to you Jade that it is very nice to see that a forum can keep on going without all the bitterness back and forth and that people with a common enjoyment are willing to help each other out instead of tearing each other down. I have been watching this forum for about 2 weeks and am very impressed that it takes care to keep the disagreement off the main page and in it's own little confine. So far I am impressed with this forum and those who participate. I like the way you do the challange. I will be participating in future challanges. g Swade

There are 10 kinds of people: Those who know binary, and those who don't. 

A whiner is about as useful as a one-legged man at an arse kicking contest.

jade_nyc posted Mon, 12 February 2001 at 11:20 PM

I have found that people in the Bryce community wherever you find it - newsgroups, mailing lists, forums is very supportive. Looking forward to seeing your work Swade. Hey that rhymes with Jade! :D Take care,