Forum: Poser Python Scripting

Subject: Script question

CharlieBrown opened this issue on Feb 16, 2001 ยท 5 posts

CharlieBrown posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 11:54 AM

Hopefully I'll be ordering my copy of the PPP tonight... Here's a strange question - I have a character (several, actually) who has multiple distinct apperances (i.e. one set of props and a template for one look, another set for a second, etc.). Would it be possible to set up a script to ask for which "version" to load, and then load the correct template, hide the unneeded props, and make the needed ones visible? Or is that a bit too ambitious?

jbrugion posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 12:47 PM

That should be a doable do. One way would be to make a simple ascii text configuration file with the template groups, group object names and filepaths for the various options that could be read in by a gui script and used to fill in the lists or menu items. User could then pick and chose what they want and then hit a "load it" button. This might be a really neat idea to look at further as a general customizable prop/character capability. Thinking of a set of nested menus. For example: Character.. Thief Mage Barbarian Palladin, then Armor.. mail leather plate and Weapon: sword shield spear ad nauseum.

CharlieBrown posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 1:47 PM

And I thought I was being ambitious... :-) That's actually a pretty neat idea you've got - it actually reminds me of a concept I suggested a while back on one of the Poser Wishlists - instead of loading parts of a character one at a time, use a GUI checkbox for gender, clothing type (business, casual, nude, or undergarment), hair (from a list of hair models), body type (fat, thin, average, ideal), etc. and have the program compute the basic model... Probably getting way ahead of myself here. I haven't even ORDERED the program yet, let alone tried to figure out scripting... :-) Need to learn to stand before I can walk, let alone run! :-)

JeffH posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 2:48 PM

CEB, Make sure you download the PP user's guide .PDF from the CL site. The PP doesn't have a hardcopy manual and the one on the CD is not complete. -JH.

CharlieBrown posted Fri, 16 February 2001 at 3:13 PM

Ah, OK. Thanks, Jeff!