Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Mirroring morphs from one boot to another

RAMWorks opened this issue on Aug 12, 2005 ยท 8 posts

RAMWorks posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 1:01 PM

Hi all, I don't post here that often but I really need help in understanding what I need to do. I was directed to an older post here called: "Mirroring a morph for another body part?" didn't really enlighten me too much but it did prompt me to ask more in depth about my situation. I'm on a WinXP Pro (SP2) set up, Poser 6. Now according to this post there is a way to mirror morphs within Poser? If so where do I look for this and how do I go about doing that? Is there a python script that would do this for me? I have a pair of boots that I spent a few hours morphing with magnets. One boot I got to where I like it very much, the other is still in it's original shape. Instead of saving the magnets to the Props folder, which I found out that I could do this to late I deleted them after I spawned new morph dials and when I was done created a new cr2 with it. I looked in to useing MorphMirror but that seems only to work with obj files which does me little good considering the morph info is in the cr2 and pmd files! I don't like pmd files as this is like splitting hairs!! Is there a way in Poser to not have it save the files in to 2 seperate files like that?? Anyway, I have this boot and I want to mirror the new morphs into the other one. How would I do this? Thanks much Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

zollster posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 7:07 PM

no idea about the mirror morphing but you can stop poser making pmd files by going edit->general prefernces. its on 1 of the tabs

svdl posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 9:47 PM

You can create those .obj files MorphMirror wants: just export the morphed boot using File->Export->Wavefront .OBJ. I don't have MorphMirror, so I don't know what kind of .OBJ files it expects. Maybe you'll have to export an .OBJ for each body part, maybe you'll have to export the entire right boot. Both are possible in Poser.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

RAMWorks posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 10:05 PM

But once I export it as an obj file won't it be static then?? Thanks much Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

svdl posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 10:13 PM

An .obj is static by definition. If the left boot is a mirror of the right boot in its default state, exporting the morphed boot (save as separate body parts, shin, foot and toe!) can still be useful. You can import the exported .objs into a modeling program (Wings3D is free), mirror them, then save it again as .obj You can then "load a morph target" onto the other boot, for each body part.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

RAMWorks posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 10:48 PM

I'm kinda a newbie at this. Save as seperate body parts.... Do you mean that the saved, morphed boot as an obj file there is a dialog before to check of how I want the obj file saved with all these areas saved as seperate sections within the same file? Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

svdl posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 11:03 PM

Not within the same file. Assuming you've morphed the right boot and want to transfer the morphs to the left boot, here's how it works:

Choose File->Export->Wavefront .OBJ
Choose Single Frame.
Uncheck everything in the hierarchy window that pops up, EXCEPT the rShin body part of your boot. The easiest way is by unchecking Universe, then checking rShin.
Enter a filename, I'd suggest rShin.
Check "As Morph Target". The other options don't matter.

Now fire up your modeling program and load the new rShin.obj file. Mirror it, save as lShin.obj. I can't give you detailed instruction, since each modeling program has its own ways to load an .obj file and to mirror the mesh.

Repeat this procedure for the other body parts in the boot, (rFoot, rToe, possibly rThigh)

Back in Poser, select the left boot and the body part lShin.
Choose Object->Load Morph Target. Click "locate" and browse for the lShin.obj file you just made.
Enter a name for the morph, then press OK.
Repeat this procedure for the lFoot, lToe and possibly the lThigh body part of your boot.

Now save the boot figure to your figure library, and you're done.

That's it!

Hope this helps,

Steven.

Message edited on: 08/12/2005 23:04

RAMWorks posted Fri, 12 August 2005 at 11:43 PM

Hey, that's cool. I'll give it a try. Might be back though, you never know! ;-)~ Thanks very much Richard ;-)~

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE