Forum: Photography

Subject: lens for wedding

SoulSearcherr opened this issue on Sep 26, 2005 ยท 14 posts

SoulSearcherr posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 2:28 PM

I am doing a wedding in 2 weeks..and of course this is my first..lol..what would you recommend on lens to use..for group..portrait..or whatever I might need..please helpppppp me..S

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 4:52 PM

What kind of camera do you have?

tibet2004uk posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 6:26 PM

Hehe!! Let's start with that indeed! LOL!! But, I think , a good lens to have would be a 17-85mm lens. I was told it was perfect for portraits photography as it covers close ups and also gives u a decent zoom without being too heavy. ;)

SoulSearcherr posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 6:54 PM

20D..S

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:17 PM

I use my 18-70 lens (Nikon D70) for close up portraits and group shots... Here is a close up that I did!

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:20 PM

Still using the 18-70 lens this is a group shot that I did. Oh yeah, be sure to ask exactly how many are in the wedding party... Seems if I had to do this again I would charge much more for any party over 12... you will see in the next image why...

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:26 PM

Using the 18-70 and some creativity here... it really upset me that she told me there 18 people in the wedding party and here you can see there were 27! (parents not included!) You should have seen the look on my face when I realized (at the wedding) that there were many more people in the wedding party then what I was told! I am sure it would have been a "priceless" kodak moment... Had I known I would have charged more and invested in a wider angle lens. Here this lens has reached its limitations wouldn't you say? Brenda

tibet2004uk posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:35 PM

I also have the Canon 20D and the 17-85mm lens by Canon should be perfect for some wedding pics IMHO Nita. But yea, if it's a big wedding, I guess a wide angle lens would be more than appropriate too! Can't help anymore than that I'm afraid! Good luck with the wedding! :)

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:36 PM

A flash unit is a good thing to have! Even if you think you don't need it because your wedding is taking place outside, compare these two photos... With flash

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:38 PM

And without flash... All of the nasty shadows are gone in the first image...

Nilla posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 7:52 PM

I bought the SB600 for the first wedding I shot, and I was glad that I did. The little speedlight on the D70 was not sufficient, and I am sure the 20D is probably the same. Remember to bring plenty of batteries for the flash, and I would have at least one spare battery for the camera. Hopefully you have some lighting for inside? Brenda :)

DJB posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 8:10 PM

Bring lots of memory cards too. I also used a 70-300 for some good DOF shots and for when I wanted candid ones where I don't want people posing all goofy. Remember that people eating make bad photos, unless you want the bride and groom taking a bite of the cake. Hopefully if inside they have a white ceiling so you can bounce the flash off it. Straight on will cause much unwanted shadows.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

DJB posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 8:18 PM

You will see here how pointing the flash at them ruins it. Things we learn as we go.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

SoulSearcherr posted Mon, 26 September 2005 at 8:49 PM

thanks guys for the info..I have alot to learn..