Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Ashampoo Defrag, anyone use it?

armalite41 opened this issue on Oct 21, 2005 ยท 8 posts

armalite41 posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 5:52 AM

Says it runs in the background keeping the HD continuously Defragged and stops running when you need the power. I really hate installing utilities because of memory drain but if this does what it says it does then I'm thinking it would be perfect instead of having Poser run slow and remember to Defrag. Anyone give me any advice on this?

SWAMP posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 9:20 AM

Attached Link: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp

A friend of mine had nothing but problems with Ashampoo Defrag running all the time in the background (slowed everything down). It claims to stop when other programs need the resources, but that did not turn out to be a reality. When he took it off and ran the default Window's defrag tool, he found there was still a lot of fragmentation remaining after Ashampoo. You might want to take a look at what I use, which is "Diskeeper" (link). The defrag tool in Windows Server 2003,XP, and Windows 2000 is actually a very striped down lite version of Diskeeper. The full version does a much deeper and thorough defrag (Page file, Master File Table, etc.). You can set it and forget it and it is **MUCH** faster than the default tool. Both have a fully functional demo so compare them for yourself. SWAMP

armalite41 posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info Swamp.

Svigor posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 1:14 PM

Yeah I just installed Ashampoo and I love the concept, but it doesn't seem to be working well. As Swamp suggested it does NOT stop when other programs are working, which is a big no-no for me. It only seems to stop when I give input.

Svigor posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 1:23 PM

I left Ashampoo on overnight on my second computer last night. I just checked and it reported "all done." I analyzed both drives with O&O Defrag and it reported 11% fragmentation on one drive and 8% on the other.

Keith posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 3:12 PM

A second nomination for Diskeeper. I've been using it for years on my work and home systems.

kawecki posted Fri, 21 October 2005 at 4:25 PM

I use Norton's SpeedDisk and DiskDoctor and works fine. Is there a free alternative that does the same thing for Windows?, and for Linux????

Stupidity also evolves!

svdl posted Sat, 22 October 2005 at 5:58 PM

I put my money on Diskeeper too. Excellent defragging tool, good smart scheduler. The resident portion is rather small, good separation of user interface and application logic. Not free, but well worth the price.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff