Forum: Photography

Subject: First Post, non digital...old fashioned film

imageart opened this issue on Mar 08, 2001 ยท 8 posts

imageart posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 3:10 AM

Hi all,...man this Renderosity site is huge, can get lost in here for days and still not see everything...anyways,... Question:- do most of the photographers in this forum use digital cameras as apposed to film based cameras? I thought I would have a quick post with this shot, created in studio, the set had taken me about two weeks to build, borrowing and making props, as the client had made that victorian wedding dress so the theme had to be around that era. Lighting was a three studio flash set-up, one main to the left, for front lighting, one hair light to the right for lighting the rear of the figure, and finally one small portable flash behind dried flowers on the fire surround. The lamp does not provide any illumination apart from itself and some of the curtain behind it. Camera: Mamiya RZ67 with standard 110mm lens Film: Kodak T-Max 100 Paper: Agfa Multicontrast, developed in own darkroom, ( though I have since sold this for the purchase of the Digital Darkroom) Hope I haven't bored ya all...well I'm off to check out more of this site...cheers.

leighp1 posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 6:58 AM

Wow....this is a fantastic photo. I can tell you put a lot of time and effort in getting everything just right. The camera I use is a Nikon 950, just received it on Tuesday and no nothing about it..Before that I used a plain old Panasonic Digital and also have a 35mm camera that I have used as well. I love my digital though. Leigh

Colm_Jackson posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 8:48 AM

Hi Imageart and welcome to the forum. Great photograph. I would love to see it bigger tho'. I think this is our first 'studio' photo that we have had posted here. Congrats on that. We are just over a week old so I hope we will have more in the future. Thanks for all the tech info on the image too. This forum is open to any kind of photography. Film, digital or anything else. We hope to get a FAQ established soon with all the info. Basically, as long as it uses some form of photographic process, it is welcome here. The only exception is no blatant smut. We hope to see you posting more work, joining in on our discussions and commenting on others work too. Please feel free to go into as much detail as to how your work is achieved as our members range from the beginner to the seasoned pro. Colm...

kewasi posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 6:08 PM

Hello Imageart, Nice shot!. Sepia, or selenium toner?.Nice lighting,looks natural.Good contrast for T-Max film...well done all around.Have you ever tried Agfapan 25,with Rodinal developer?.Please post some more.

imageart posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 9:34 PM

Hi kewasi, It was sepia toner,haven't tried selenium, and yes I have tried Agfapan 25, with Agfa Rodinal, awesome combo, but found T-Max more to my liking, with nearly just as finer grain, and also a couple of stops more speed, also using T-Max Developer has a faster develop time. Did try Rodinal with T-Max film once but grain looked like golf balls compared to T-Max developer. Also need the extra speed with medium format film because you have to stop down a lot more to get more depth of field. Thanks for your feed back everyone...later

Tammy posted Thu, 08 March 2001 at 11:37 PM

This is a great shot I can see that it took allot of time to put together. I agree with Colm would love to see it bigger.

Syyd posted Fri, 09 March 2001 at 9:56 AM

Wow, I have a livingroom full of furniture like this! Nice nice work, glad to have you posting, larger please :-)

Lisas_Botanicals posted Wed, 14 March 2001 at 7:14 PM

Wow! Nice shot! Thanks for psoting and sharing how you created it.