Forum: Photoshop

Subject: rough cloth

Marque opened this issue on Nov 18, 2005 ยท 13 posts

Marque posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 5:18 PM

Trying to do a blanket but need it to look like it's roughly woven cloth, and also need a burlap type texture. Any tutorials out there? Don't have the real manual for CS2 but I think it came with a pdf if someone has a page number. Bought the upd and it came with a booklet instead of a manual. Thanks, Marque

Angel1 posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 5:52 PM

....Now Bring Me That Horizon....
Send IM | Gallery

aprilgem posted Fri, 18 November 2005 at 10:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.aprilgem.com/log/?p=199

I recommend finding a texture site and looking for the specific cloth you want, whether it's burlap or canvas or whatever, then using the tutorial I wrote, linked above. Also, I think some of the pattern presets in Photoshop include canvas or something equally burlap-like.

Marque posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 7:40 AM

Thank you very nice, but what I'm looking for is a way to create a roughness to the texture...like peasant clothing. Thank you for the tutorial though, will be using it as well! Marque

tantarus posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 9:37 AM

Use displace filter on the fabric texture :) Tihomir

Open your mind and share the knowledge!

Marque posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 2:24 PM

Ok, I'm dumb, where is the displacement filter? Marque

TrulyMadly posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 2:38 PM

Err, I think is where the rest of filter is. :P The preset pattern or rather texture helps to define the general background of the fabric. To enhance the realism, ie roughness of the material, sharpen it a little after using gradient map to enhance the shades of the weaving. Since the material is rough, of course light reflection is minimal, a dull colour might help. But then that is just what I will try on a 2D picture. Not sure if that is your intention and I am sure there is a better way out there which give better results. Hope this help a little.

tantarus posted Sat, 19 November 2005 at 11:44 PM

Its under the filter-distort-displace, you can use the displacement maps that you get with the PS :) Tihomir

Marque posted Sun, 20 November 2005 at 12:07 AM

lol yes found it, put my glasses on and it made a world of difference. 8^) Thanks, Marque

Marque posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:11 PM

Ok, tried using the displace filter but it asks for a displacement map. Is there any place to find out how to do this? Thanks Marque

aprilgem posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:21 PM

Yeah. Have you tried the link I gave you? Everything's explained there.

Marque posted Sun, 27 November 2005 at 6:49 PM

So I need to do a displacement map of rough cloth and then use it. Kind of like a catch 22, how do I do rough cloth in the first place? Very frustrating. Not looking to do folds. Sigh. Thank you though the tutorial is helpful in how to create the displacement map once I figure out how to create a rough cloth look. Marque

tantarus posted Mon, 28 November 2005 at 7:05 AM

The default displacement maps are placed in C:Program files-Adobe- Photoshop-plug-ins-displacement maps. C: is my main partition, so look where you install PS and follow the rest of the link :) Tihomir