Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: The curious P6 splash screen

Phantast opened this issue on Nov 21, 2005 ยท 6 posts

Phantast posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 10:11 AM

I can't understand why P6 has got such a weird picture on the loading screen. I suppose it's meant to be a ballerina, but the clothing is very crude, the pose is awkward and unrealistic, the hair looks strange and unnatural, and the face is rather ugly. Surely a better image could have been found to show off the abilities of the program? The one on the P5 loading screen is much better.

PilotHigh posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 11:17 AM

I guess you haven't loaded SR2 yet. The new picture is Jessi's face.

Phantast posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 12:28 PM

No I haven't. So they realised it needed changing then!

Irish posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 12:53 PM

Well I think the one on SR2 is pretty awful too - Poser 5 had a beautiful splash screen, but the last two have been, well, not very professional. :)

Jimdoria posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 1:44 PM

The Poser 5 Splash screen was done by artist Will Kramer (www.earthcurves.com). Will does amazing work starting with Poser renders, but he's more of a traditional artist and only uses Poser as his starting point. All the stuff that makes his images cool comes through his skilled and exacting post work. (F'rinstance, all the hair and cloth in his figures is hand painted. He tends to start with nude, bald models and fill in the rest manually.) My guess is that they wanted an image that was more indicative of something you could actually produce with the software. Not something you could produce with the software, plus massive post work, plus heaps of natural talent and learned artistic skill. As much as I like Will's images, I always thought using them to sell Poser was a bit disingenuous. Using Poser by itself, you can't create anything like the polished results that were shown on the Poser 5 box and splash screen.

diolma posted Mon, 21 November 2005 at 2:46 PM

RE: Jimdoria's post... I agree with (almost) everything said, just wanted to add: Getting good pictures (however obtained) requires (lots of) time and skill. And that cost money.... The bit I didn't completely agree with? "Using Poser by itself, you can't create anything like the polished results that were shown on the Poser 5 box and splash screen." Well, you probably could (not an identical image, that hair would be extrememly difficult in Poser-only), but certainly as polished. But it would still take the time and skill of an accomplished artist.. So I guess it just came down to economics in the end.. Cheers, Diolma