Forum: Vue

Subject: ECO-Hair... just when you thought it was safe to go outside

dburdick opened this issue on Jan 12, 2006 ยท 7 posts

dburdick posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 1:25 PM

I've been experimenting with different ways to make hair objects that go beyond the typical wispy looking Poser-type hair. I came up with an approach that takes advantage of Vue's wonderful ecosystem technology. It's really quite simple. Build or find a couple of helix-like objects, and apply them to a half toroid shape as an ecosystem. Make the underlying toroid shape invisible. Then build up the hair on your figure by adding several eco-hair objects around the head of the figure, scaling and rotating the eco-hair objects as you like. It's really cool. You can come with about a million different curly hairstyles using this one object. For the hairstyle I created in the picture, it took about five minutes to arrange the the eco-hair toroids (I used 7 in this case). Each toroid contains about 150,000 polys - so I burned up about a million polys - which is child's play for Vue. The nice thing about helical type objects is that they look like braids when standing vertically or curls when flipped horizonally. Tipping the eco-hair toroid at an angle gives you sort of a hybrid of the two. Scaling the toroids can also provide interesting combinations. Sure beats twiddling with Poser morph dials.

Tiny posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 1:43 PM

Excellent idea. :o)

If one applied a hair transmap it could turn out very realistic.

war2 posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 1:48 PM

not bad looking at all for a five minute work, excellent idea!

Irish posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 2:09 PM

YOU CERTAINLY HAVE MY ATTENTION! This looks absolutely wonderful and just the kind of hair I would love to use. Thanks Dave!!

Monsoon posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 2:53 PM

Well done dburdick!!! very creative !

creed2003 posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 5:11 PM

Looks cool!!!

Paula Sanders posted Thu, 12 January 2006 at 8:14 PM

What a great idea. How wonderfully creative. Thanks for sharing.