Wed, Sep 18, 6:48 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Slightly OT - wip

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 4:35 PM · edited Fri, 13 September 2024 at 8:29 AM

file_319587.jpg

Hope you dont mind me posting this one here, considering its not Bryce related. :) I asked for your opinions on a model some time ago, and thought ild share a few more wips of the scene and how it looks now. Still only half done, but at least most of the base objects are modeled. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 4:36 PM

file_319588.jpg

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 4:36 PM

file_319589.jpg

and 3.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 4:43 PM

As usual your skills at using many graphic programmes amaze me. This will even looks great without textures. I can see how the other model you made connects now, awesome modeling, well done Rudy....keep it up! :)

Smile, your dead a long time :)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 4:50 PM

Wonderful complexity without being over the top, imo. How many hours do you think you put into this? (#3) AgentSmith

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:04 PM

Thanx guys. :) I honestly dont know. I started on the thing about the same time i posted the last piece, and just add parts when i have new ideas. So no rush job. :) Next in line, ill probably extend the side walls above the support beams and add some "cosmetics", similar to the ones on the door, to all the walls.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:12 PM

The cosmetics are coming off belivable, meaning sometimes we can put too much of this on sci-fi objects and they look (cool but) overtly complex, but what you got here looks realistic. Just enough circut breaker boxes, pipes and venting to make (the hallway in particular) look to me like a present day submarine interior or a similar industrial complex. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

marcfx ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:24 PM

I can almost see a glass roof to this room which would give such a nice lighting to it and perhaps a lower level so you can view it from the walk ways.(Almost like that 'Luke & Vader' StarWars scene when he finds out its his dad). I still wish I had a 10% of your talent ;)

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 5:38 PM

Yep, know what you mean AS. Ive definitely overdone more than one scene, but hopefully this one will end up for the better. Plus i need to leave room for wires and stuff. :) Still not certain about the camera view, so it might very well change. I was indeed thinking of having the main lightsource coming from above, along with a slightly polluted atmosphere.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 6:03 PM

Agreed, this looks "functional". It has the detail to be believable. Practice makes perfect...

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 6:48 PM

It's good to be able to see how you're using the previous "WIP" object and how your scene is evolving. I agree that the LOD is enough to be believable. I like the POV of the bottom scene.

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 8:12 PM

Looks good Well wait for textures.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 9:15 PM

This is looking fascinating. It has a feel like a Ron Cobb previz image, feels right.

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

ellocolobo ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 10:25 PM

You are really a machine aren't you....

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 10:29 PM

Awesome work as usual. Seems like you put countless, endless hours into your creations. Would like to know what initiates your ideas. I mean is it something you see around you or some mental vestige of some scifi movie that grabs your attention, what is it? Do you know before hand what the finished product is going to look like or does it just flow as youre modeling along? And finally to cap, has Drac had any of your babies yet? I want the pick of the liter. ;)

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 11:06 PM

file_319590.jpg

Rochr i like the model so much i have sent one of my agents to your place to find out what you are on and to grab it for me.. So if you see someone looking like the person in the image hanging around your place, panic because your secrets will be mine...all mine. CD (Waiting for contact from his agent

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Tue, 17 January 2006 at 11:29 PM

Thanks for sharing your work:) Looks very Star Wars, well sort of lol. The pov sort of looks like a rats perspective. Interested to see what you do with it;)

I never intended to make art.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 5:46 AM
Forum Moderator

With the right textures it could be scene from 'DOOM'. Great work as always!

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bandolin ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 7:09 AM

Some of your panels have a rounded bevel look. Is that a C4D feature. I've been trying to achieve that in Max with no success. My bevels are always angular.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Sans2012 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 8:15 AM

Maybe smoothing or curved bevel?

scoleman123 ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 10:08 AM

@ Rochr: Show off :) but that aside, wonderful modelling. flawless as usual.

facebook.com/scoleman123

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 1:23 PM

file_319591.jpg

Well, ellocolobo...

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 1:38 PM

file_319592.jpg

To answer your questions Quest, I usally spend a lot of time browsing through industrial reference shots such as these here. Even the smallest little gadgets can boost an idea, whether its a cool shape or something else. Normally i work from an idea and have most of the stuff thought out, but in this case, i just model as i go, trying out different stuff. Pretty much a test for the new system as well, to see how much i can put into the scene. :) And nah, havent seen any strange romanians around my circuits yet. I think the tentacles are scaring him. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 3:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.hfinster.de/StahlArt2/archive-en.html

Well then Rochr, thanks for your feedback and elaboration on your sources of inspiration. I take it then that this is only part of a larger 3D virtual set. Cant wait to see the finished vision. The link above is bookmarked in my 3D art resource folder, some time ago I went web searching for industrial sites to use as reference and I came across this one. Havent quite gotten around to getting my hands dirty with it yet, but perhaps one day soon. Maybe it could be a source of reference to you if you dont already have it bookmarked as a source.

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 3:15 PM · edited Wed, 18 January 2006 at 3:16 PM
Forum Moderator

I think I know what the Tentacled-One is making. It's the bottom end of an elevator that connects with an orbital station via a tether.

I forget what the proper term for it is. The idea is that you take the elevator up to a space-station.........

Message edited on: 01/18/2006 15:16

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 3:47 PM

Attached Link: http://www.abandoned-places.com/

file_319593.jpg

Actually its a cell... :) Thanks for the link Quest. Great one! I think ive seen that page before, but it wasnt amongst my bookmarks.(now it is) Try this one out as well if you havent.(see link) @Bandolin, These are actually angular as well. Curved angles are nice, but the polycount is a definite minus. I also try to avoid hypernurbs as much as i can for the same reason. With these i think the soft shadows are helping out, giving the edges a rounded look. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

pidjy ( ) posted Thu, 19 January 2006 at 5:42 AM

Excellent work here my friend, as I can see we got the same way to "find" details by looking at existing industrial reference pics. it's the way to give a model a realistic look, even if it's a sci-fi model. once again excellent work.

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 19 January 2006 at 9:35 AM

Yep, its actually pretty funny. Theres just nothing like old stuff when shaping futuristic ones. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

bandolin ( ) posted Thu, 19 January 2006 at 6:24 PM

Absolutely. Why reinvent the wheel. Someone has already put a great deal of thought into the design and functionality of a thing. Creating plausible realistic stuff without reference pics is almost foolish. We can't all be H.R. Giegers. Inventing radically new stuff from nothing. (IMHO)>.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2006 at 1:07 AM

He invented ginormous bone spaceships. What references could he have? :)

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Quest ( ) posted Fri, 20 January 2006 at 1:17 AM

Gieger was tired of the mundane and wanted to express himself visually more anatomically visceral.

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 2:39 PM

file_319594.jpg

Since youve already seen half of the scene, i might as well post the rest of the progress as well. :) A few more wips and the current state of the project. Still very workable, which is a good thing because there are still a lot to add. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 2:40 PM

file_319595.jpg

another one

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 2:40 PM

file_319596.jpg

And the current state. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 2:51 PM

Still amazes me on your additions. Have you already got a sketch done on paper or photoshopish drawing or still working from your head?? Would love to know what your building/working up to.

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 3:04 PM

Still working from the head and making up shapes as i go. Thats basically why it takes longer than usual to complete. :) Not exactly sure of the final result. Hopefully it wont be a total waste of time. :D

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 3:12 PM

Well, by the looks of all this so far, i think you can guarantee it wont be! Keep up the great modeling Rudy. its great to follow. Thanks :)

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 4:20 PM
Forum Moderator

If this is a 'cell' what on earth (or mars) are you holding captive?

Rochr ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 4:56 PM

file_319597.jpg

And another good question is, why arent there any windows...? :) Ive been experimenting with different angles here, before i continue. What do you think of this one?

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 5:17 PM

Well, its an angle that i thought i would see when being in a building like this. Its a feeling of immense size and (if this sounds right) powerful, just like being in an nuclear power station and the feeling of being in the bowels of the place.. I would had thought a top glass roof/dome of some kind would enhance the lighting but, in a nuclear power station there isnt any (I've worked in one) that i remember. It may cause some problems finding where to put the bulkhead lights too as there will be many shadows that might slow your computer down. Textures will make a very big difference too. Still, I'm going to wait with baited breadth to see the finished scene...even though its awesome already! :)

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 5:42 PM

Thread title.. "Slightly OT - wips" Grammatically wrong! What does the "wip" own? The apostrophe "s" indicates ownership (usually, although English is a very troublesome language, even for me..) "I'm going to wait with baited breadth"... Errmm - marcfxx, you mean "With bated breath" Baited = has a bait attached (like on the end of a fish-hook) Breadth = width (or possibly length, depending on point of view) "bated" = "held back" "breath" = "what you inhale/exhale" sigh I'm going to get into trouble for this post, but I'm too pissed (UK term, meaning OTT on alcohol, but I just had to... No offence intended - just trying to help (in English grammar/spelling) (Wish I could create like Rochr!!!) And, yes, I know 3 "!" is a no-no in English grammar! Cheers (Going to bed now), Diolma

marcfx ( ) posted Sun, 22 January 2006 at 7:17 PM

Attached Link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-11,GGLD:en&q=baited+b

"I'm going to wait with baited breadth"... Diolma ""bated" = "held back" "breath" = "what you inhale/exhale" ===================================== 'Bate' = Lessen, Abate. 'Lessen' = Diminish; reduce. 'Abate' = Lessen, Become less, diminish. 'Bait' = Food to entice fish; any lure or enticement; refreshment on a journey. Set a lure, feed and water; annoy, persecute. Take refreshment on a journey. 'Breadth' = Extent across, width; Largeness of view, mind. "I'm going to wait with baited breadth" = I'm waiting to feed my mind. ;p ------------------------------------------------------ Diolma; "Cheers (Going to bed now), Diolma" 'Bed' = Bottom of a river; layer, stratum; garden plot, lay in a bed; to plant.......??? Marc (Going to my bed also) :)

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 5:35 AM

Lol @ marc and diolma, Rochr, funny you should say that about looking at industrial references - since I got more into sci-fi buildings etc I've found myself staring avidly at weird lorries, cranes, solar panels and anything else industrial - in fact I juust missed taking a pic of this weird cross between a vacuum cleaner a cement mixer and a seat... odd looking thing but typically, the second time I went past, this time WITh camera, it was gone... Thanks for the links...

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 5:45 PM

file_319598.jpg

Another update. A few touch ups and perhaps a couple of smaller details, and i think im done with the modeling. Think ill have to re-arrange the model groups as well, its a total mess. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

marcfx ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 5:54 PM

Well, it looks home to me. You've done a wonderful job on this and its been a pleasure to follow.........and its got to have textures too!! I can imagine your wire frames being a blurr and if it looks as much as your Mech robot you have a great time consuming job to select each and everyone to texture....good luck! LOL Excellent job so far, well done

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 23 January 2006 at 6:05 PM

Looks great! I live all the details you've added and the "worms-eye-view".

Richard T ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2006 at 1:05 AM

Thanmks very much for the insight and links. Super ideas and modeling.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 24 January 2006 at 11:06 AM
Forum Moderator

Hang-on! I've just seen a couple of blank spots you haven't used yet....! And why are my initials up there???

shinyary2 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 2:27 PM

Wow.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 10:02 PM

LOL! @Bryster

lemonjim ( ) posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 9:44 PM

the wips are lots of fun and very inspirational! thanks for posting them!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.