Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Denied Commercial Use for 2D Renders?

novelist999 opened this issue on Jan 18, 2006 ยท 65 posts

novelist999 posted Wed, 18 January 2006 at 1:49 AM

Several months ago when I first started using Poser, I bought a texture set for Kiki on Poser-Corner. I've used my 2D renders of Kiki that I created from it for commercial projects, including web templates that I sell.

Well, I just got an angry letter from the woman who created the texture set. She said: "Why did you use this commercially? I gave in my readme no permission for it." And she said:"Why didn't you ask me first?" I couldn't make out the rest of her letter, because it was translated from German. But I'm shocked as 2D renders are generally acceptable use as long as the original materials can't be extracted. I didn't ask for permission, because I didn't think I needed to.

She also insists on credit wherever I use it and a link back to her site.

I hunted through my harddrives for a copy of the readme but couldn't find one. I'm not sure the original product had one. I also searched the Poser-Corner site and found that their terms of use are pretty much like that of Renderosity's and other 3D sites': here's a relevant part; "Buyer acquires the copyright to any derivative works created using this work, provided none of the original materials can be extracted from the derivative work by any means."

What do you think I should do? Should I discontinue using this texture set for commercial use?

I did write to Poser-Corner about this, asking for clarification on the terms of use for this product.

Thanks,
Bobette Bryan