Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: 10 Years

gellenburg opened this issue on Jan 26, 2006 ยท 22 posts

gellenburg posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:12 AM

Attached Link: http://www.PoserHome.com/

Dear Poser Community,

Aside from a short break from 1998-1999, I have been using Poser continuously since 1996. Over the years, the artistic talents and creative works of the collective Poser Community have provided me countless hours (and at this stage probably countless months!) of inspiration, enjoyment, assistance, and fun.

It's been almost ten years to the day since I started working with Poser, and while commuting into work a few weeks ago, I came up with the idea of providing something back to the Community.

How could I repay those who either directly, or indirectly, helped me out so much?

Then it hit me.

Through careful planning, resources, and opportunities, I am blessed both with the means and capabilities of offering free bandwidth and disk space to the Poser Community.

I've got dedicated servers that I run, sitting on the Internet, on unmetered 10Mbit connections to the Internet. It's not at my home, but sits in a data center located in Virginia. The servers costs me $300/ month; but the money is not the issue, as I use them to host several websites both for personal use, and for free for various projects that I'm personally involved in.

I've been running these servers since 2001.

Anyone who has ever run a commercial website knows that disk space is cheap, and bandwidth is even cheaper.

So, I've got several servers, that aren't really being utilized right now, and aren't planned for being used much more in the future. They exist for backup and redundancy purposes.

Then PoserHome.com was born.

A Joomla (formerly Mambo) powered website, I created the site to specifically give something back to the Community, and provide a way for free content providers, and artists, to have a way to host and share their work.

No more "Bandwidth Allotment Exceeded" messages after the 15th of each month because free hosting providers such as Geocities and Angelfire only offer ridiculously small amounts of bandwidth for their members.

It's got a file repository, image galleries, forums, and more.

And I offer it to you.

The Community.

To use it as you wish.

To either host your free products, to share your artwork, for anything.

I don't see this as competition for Renderosity. In fact, on the contrary! Since I freely offer this to you, I emphatically don't want it to be used by anyone to sell commercial goods! (No sense in you making money when I'm not making any money.)

So, check it out if you want: www.PoserHome.com. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this message, or contact me through the site.

I welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for a wonderful 10 years!

Sincerely,

gellenburg

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

martial posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:14 AM

Hope you another ten years of pleasure with graphics and Poser

EnglishBob posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:19 AM

Cheers! Here's to the next 10.

No more "Bandwidth Allotment Exceeded" messages after the 15th of each month

If my site was still on Angelfire, it would be the 2nd of each month... :/

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 5:49 AM

Thanks, this is quite a generous offer! I'll check it out :o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

RedHawk posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 6:55 AM

Very generous of you! I've got it bookmarked and will check it out as soon as time permits. Thanks!

<-insert words of wisdom here->

MissCaly posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:00 AM

What an amazingly generous offer. I have been unable to afford to create my own website to share my freebies and artwork as I am a disabled and single parent on a very fixed and tight income. Your offer might just be the answer to my prayers. I will have a look at the site and hopefully be able to create something so that I may share my freebies with others. Thanks so much for offering this to the community. Your generosity is much appreciated.

Acadia posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 7:07 AM

That's very kind and generous of you. I'm sure those who don't have webspace to host their freebies/art etc will greatly appreciate your generous offer.

Message edited on: 01/26/2006 07:08

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

bagginsbill posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 8:15 AM

Thank you, you are a poser god. I've been trying to figure out where to post tutorials, materials, and other stuff for weeks. I have in mind a few additional folders for the downloads. This would help focus on stuff I'm most interested in seeing and contributing. These are "Lights", "Materials", "Tutorials", and "Scripts". Thank you again - will post immediately. Oh boy.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pakled posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 8:17 AM

Dateline Tennesse- Gellenberg disappeared under a mountain of freebies today, which threatened to capsize the Internet..;)
A very noble endeavor. Not sure what the terms would be, but if you're setting up a general 'free stuff' area, I have about 600+ megabytes of models..;) (granted, only about 1 in 10 would be worth having, and they're not UVMapped..well maybe 1 is..;) but still..it would be a simple matter to snow you under..;)
I also have a database of web sites (about 1,800 after pruning) of Poser, Bryce, Truespace, fonts, yada yada..if you'd like that (already converted into HTML, though the 90's version..I'm still doing websites in Wordpad..;)
I'd be interested in putting up some stuff..let me know how to go about it.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ghelmer posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 8:19 AM

Thank you for your great idea, generosity and kindness!! What a fantastic sense of community you have!! I wish you great success in your next 10 years of Posering! Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

gellenburg posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 8:23 AM

I'm at work right now but when I get home I will definitely look into adding the additional folders that you requested. As far as disk space is concerned, there's over 250GB free on the logical volume. ;-)

For God so loved the Walmart, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not overpay, but have everlasting low, low prices. (John $3.88)

pakled posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 8:26 AM

250g? holy buckets..;) s'ok..I just started work meself..;) talk at ya later..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

barrowlass posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 10:14 AM

thanks v. much - not sure if I'll be uploading anything yet, but it's nice to see a new poser site.

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Miss Nancy posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 2:52 PM

thanks for your generosity, George, and best wishes for continued success. I was told that bandwidth (throughput) charges were what could kill a small server set-up, having lost at least one site because the guy who operated the servers said it was like $1,000 per month for a T1 line - but that was in the 90s. 10 mbps translates to 2.5 terabytes per month (10 bits per byte on download), which could be 1000 downloads of 1000 poser items (2.5 MB per item). just keep an eye on the servers, as video downloads will quickly use this up.

Rance01 posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 3:10 PM

Best Wishes and ten more years to you. This is a wonderful community. Talented and special folks. Best Wishes, Rance

Foxseelady posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 3:44 PM

Okay I'm not sure how that all works, I do know that I have been searching and searching for a way to offer all my free things at once though. I use angelfire and it sucks lol. I am having such a hard time even getting my new pages to work so right now my whole site is capoodled. This is wonderfully generous of you. Congradulations on 10 years of poser fun. I can only imagine how much more I could pick up over the years! ;) It' really great fun learning all the new tricks! As for free webhosting who do you all recommened? I'm to broke to be rich yet lol

originalkitten posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 3:45 PM

wow thank you that is so kind xoxo

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

FishNose posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 4:17 PM

That's way cool! Thanks. :] Fish

almeidap posted Thu, 26 January 2006 at 5:52 PM

Ooooh, ooooh, oooooh. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

bagginsbill posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:29 AM

Gell baby.

I'm getting these two errors when I hover over the links to the galleries.

The first one happens only one time. The second happens over and over.

It's not a security issue because I added your site to my trusted sites list in IE. My version of IE is 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.050301-1526.

Also, I find it very annoying that when I open a gallery image, the site forces a small display window to open. I don't like it when a popup window is forced to a certain size and position. My IE remembers where I like to see the popup and how big and you've bypassed that logic. I have two monitors, both 1280x1024 and this mode of viewing the gallery is really slowing me down.

Also, expected to see the new folders for downloads. I don't want to put materials in "other".

I hate to criticize, as you've been very generous. Thanks again.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

gellenburg posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:32 AM

Do you see the same behavior in Firefox?

bagginsbill posted Fri, 27 January 2006 at 7:36 AM

No, those errors don't happen in Firefox. I see the hover tip info instead.