Forum: Bryce

Subject: Thoughts on DAZ's Tell-Ware for what's it called?

draculaz opened this issue on Feb 19, 2006 ยท 35 posts

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:10 PM

I just formatted my pc due to a *slight* error in judgement, and I'm currently re-installing everything. And I downloaded the newest DS, only to see that they pretty much ask you to tell 2 other people about the software -otherwise you can't install it. Tellware they call it. Am I weird for finding this absolutely wrong? Like okay, they can do whatever they want, it's you who are downloading/purchasing their software.. but isn't it a bit over the top? Like WAY over the top? I don't mind telling people about the software, but don't force me to do it, you know? Especially since it's been in beta all this time and even the stable version had more bugs than a romanian street dog. Credits for the Fruit Borker from Penny-Arcade. I called this one the DAZ Mind-Borker. drac

CrazyDawg posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:17 PM

I agree with you drac. I don't mind telling people about some software, word of mouth is free. I don't like being forced even if it is to click on a button and agree to tell someone about it. Gee i wonder how many people that download the new verion of D|S actually told others about it. I know i told my mother and father about it, does that count since they don't have a computer and wouldn't use the program anyway.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:19 PM

well through this i just did my job, really. but as a principle... i don't know :/ drac

pumecobann posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:30 PM

Q: "Am I weird for finding this absolutely wrong?"
A: Weird's not exactly the word I'd use but; it's their product - their rules.

Q: "I don't mind telling people about the software, but don't force me to do it, you know?"
A: They're not "forcing" you to do anything. If you don't like their policy, you don't use their software.

Len.
(Hope that helped)

The wait can be horrific, but the outcome can be worse - pumeco 2006

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:33 PM

thanks Cap'n

pumecobann posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:38 PM

No need, glad I could help.

The wait can be horrific, but the outcome can be worse - pumeco 2006

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:41 PM

seriously though, in this whole issue.. like wouldn't it bother you to have your own word of mouth downgraded to something this.. commercial? it's a lot like when you say something and flies way over that person's head. drac

drawbridgep posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:53 PM

I think it's an intersting sales tactic. I don't think it's wrong of them. Just pointless. I wonder what precentage actually told two people and what percentage of those two people gave a rats behind.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:56 PM

i don't know, but the first two people i see tomorrow i'm so gonna totally tell them. If practice holds true, the first one is a guy who sells newspapers in the middle of the street and the other one should be a fellow motorist. Hope I don't land next to some cabbie who's gonna kick my behind :D drac

TheBryster posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 1:59 PM Forum Moderator

Seems to me just like every other piece of software. ie: Do you agree to abide by the license terms? Of course I do! Then you go and pirate it......... BTW what happens if you don't wantto tell peps? Does the instalation fail?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

sackrat posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 2:01 PM

I'll tell you my opinion if you tell 5 other people and they agree to tell 10 other people and they agree to tell 20 other people,..............

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

draculaz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 2:01 PM

it just doesn't continue, yeah

paulbrittgarcia posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 2:20 PM

Attached Link: http://www.bzzagent.com

Tellware works. Far better than you think it would!

tjohn posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 3:13 PM

If you had never used the software before, why would you recommend it to someone else before you use it? I'm missing the logic here. Do they do this only with people they know have previously download an earlier version? Otherwise...

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Rayraz posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 3:36 PM

"hey! I bought this software package today" "really? is it good?" "I don't know yet, I had to tell you that I bought it in order to make it work and see if it's any good" "oh ok" while thinking: "weeeird stuff... so not gunna buy that"

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Erlik posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 3:39 PM

Hey people, you don't need to tell anybody. I told about it to couple tens of thousands people, so you're all covered. :-) Seriously, though, Rhino started with a public beta and worked by word of mouth from there. Tell-ware does work. And then, even if you clicked on the option, are they coming over to your house to check? I think you're getting into a kerfuffle about nothing. So what? One more box to check...

-- erlik

Jaymonjay posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 3:45 PM

"So what? One more box to check..." yep

sackrat posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 4:25 PM

"Kerfuffle" ? Is that like a snit ?

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

drawbridgep posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 4:31 PM

Can't we just tell each other?

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

pakled posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:03 PM

well..I could tell any number of people, but how can I prove it?..;) I've actually mentioned it any number of times to newbies in various forums, so I consider myself covered..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Zhann posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:22 PM

Too weird to contemplate...=[

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

diolma posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:27 PM

"Hey people, you don't need to tell anybody. I told about it to couple tens of thousands people, so you're all covered. :-) Seriously, though, Rhino started with a public beta and worked by word of mouth from there. Tell-ware does work. And then, even if you clicked on the option, are they coming over to your house to check? I think you're getting into a kerfuffle about nothing. So what? One more box to check..." And many more of the above posts... I'm not interested in D|S, so I have no axe to grind. Does this mean that you have to agree to tell at last two other people about D|S in order to download (a free) product? If that's so, then what DAZ is doing here (if I understand it properly, I haven't tried to D/L it) is, if not illegal, immoral. They are inciting people to lie. They have no way of checking up if you don't do what you've agreed to do. They can't punish you if you don't comply. All you have to do is say "yeah, yeah, yeah", then go your own way regardless. If you agree to a condition for access to something, whether it be software or any other goods or service, the condition should be enforcible under law. And transgressors should be able to be punished. Since this doesn't apply to the above condition, then it is an incitement to lie. Which is immoral. Yup, DAZ is trying it on. It's just another dodgy sales technique. I, for one, find that sort of thing a disincentive to download in the 1st place. I agree with Drac - it's OTT and should be stamped on ASAP:-)) (just my rather long 2p=worth). Cheers, Diolma (Apologies in advance if I've got any of my facts wrong - I'm just responding to what I think the thread is about)

TheBryster posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:39 PM Forum Moderator

kerfuffle = Panic/right state/hyper/flustered/

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

Jcleaver posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 5:45 PM

To the other side, it doesn't say you have to tell them about it first; just to tell them. Where was all the uproar when this whole thing started with their first beta? It wasn't something that you had to click then, but to download it you were supposed to agree to that. Is D|S free? I think the cost is telling 2 people.

PJF posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 6:14 PM

"I'm not interested in D|S, so I have no axe to grind."

Well, maybe not a direct interest. But DAZ own Bryce and D|S is central to the success of DAZ. So perhaps you could promote D|S to other computer users without even downloading it yourself, and still benefit.

Let's face it, if you told someone that they could download realistic virtual humans for free (V3 and M3) and a program for posing them for free, there's a good chance they would do so if only for the novelty factor. If ten percent of everyone who was told (and ten percent of those subsequently told, etc) actually developed a further interest in the 3D consumer area, then DAZ would increase sales and profitability.

And Bryce would stand a chance of being developed some more.

That's just another side to it. But this is still a nice bitch-fest and there's no denying bitch-fests can be fun.

skiwillgee posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 8:12 PM

Agree with Drawbridge. You just told multiple times people they were asking. If I get it, I'll refer to Drac's post as already taking care of business.

Stephen Ray posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 8:26 PM

(( A: They're not "forcing" you to do anything. If you don't like their policy, you don't use their software. )) If you use Bryce 5.5, don't you have to have D/S installed in order for Bryce to work correctly? If so then yes they are forcing you to obey their policy in order to use software that you paid money for. But since I do not uses B5.5 I'm not sure if it will work without D/S installed. Yes I bought B 5.5, to buggy for me to uses. I have yet to finish a project in 5.5 without it crashing at some point.

Stephen Ray

thundering1 posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 10:02 PM

All ya gotta do is click a "box" to finish the install - trust me, the DAZ Police are not gonna show up at your door with 3D handcuffs (would they chafe?) to put you in BryceJail if you don't do it (would V3 be there - hmmm, lemme rethink this...). I dind't have to agree to a newsletter and number of garaunteed purchases so I considered it neither illegal or immoral - I just didn't consider it. BTW - Drac and Bryster - there's a free program called DAZ Studio - WOOHOO - I'M COVERED!! ;-)

CrazyDawg posted Sun, 19 February 2006 at 11:30 PM

@thundering1, the DAZ Police will show up trust me, the turned up here at 5:17am this morning...i just got out on bail and now i'm charged with not using my mouth to spread the word of DAZ...

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Cyba_Storm posted Mon, 20 February 2006 at 4:03 AM

You have just told the whole bryce forum, I think you are covered.

thundering1 posted Mon, 20 February 2006 at 6:14 AM

Too little too late - he's already done time for da virt'ule MAN! (pounds heart with fist, single tear rolls down my cheek)

bucketload3D posted Mon, 20 February 2006 at 8:37 AM

drac, do they "ORDER" you to tell these 2 people about DS and/or DAZ itself? Do they make you go out and tell about the wonders of the software RIGHT AFTER you installed it? You have a link to DAZ on your own site, that's totally enough to cover your behind for the next eleventeen hundred installs of DS :))

People are working on developing this little proggie, you know? And while it is free, they and DAZ itself are not getting any real profit from it (let's not count the salary they have) :) So why not giving them some credit by agreeing to spread the word?

kitty5

www.Bucketload3d.com - where cool freebies are ~(==^..^)

thundering1 posted Mon, 20 February 2006 at 9:54 AM

I know - I'm not Drac - but they don't "order" or "make" you DO anything. When you install the program, there's a checkbox that says something like "I agree to tell at least 2 people about DS" - you just check it and the install finishes - that's it (to put it in perspective - honestly, how many of you really DO read the "terms of agreement" before just clicking "Accept" to just get the install going?). It's not waiting for any confirmation at all as to whether or not you DID it - it's just a box to check during install. Kind of an "honor system" really - and it's not telling you to say it's incredible, wonderous, amazing, how good it is in general (you haven't used it yet - how could you?) - just asking you to spread the word that it's a free alternative to Poser. Whether you do it or not is actually completely up to you - I've actually only told it to one guy (the subject just never comes up) who uses Max but didn't want to shell out $600 for Poser just to make some quickie figures "every once in a while". What they're hoping is for you to buy their content to use DS - THAT's how they make their money - that and Bryce to finish more complicated layouts. And if it's free, you'd be more inclined to USE it - then you're gonna want more content to play with because you'll get bored with whatcha got - get it? -Lew ;-)

jelisa posted Tue, 21 February 2006 at 3:19 PM

When DAZ first announced DS, they said it would be tell-ware and have continued to say that all along. When you use a shareware software product, they include a license agreement that you'll only use the product for a certain amount of time and then you'll pay to continue to use it. The same with postcard-ware or e-mail-ware or whatever-ware you want to come up with. Why should DS be any different just because it's from DAZ? It's a free program for crying out loud.

ratscloset posted Thu, 23 February 2006 at 10:23 PM

I just yell out, "Kids, DAZ has DAZ Studio!" and continue the install. I told two people, same two people each time. When they install it they yell out to me and their sibling. Hey, it was cute the first time, but having to do it each time is annoying, especially when updating. I am not going to complain about it too much, because it has made it easier to get content into Bryce for me.

ratscloset
aka John