Forum: Animation

Subject: What sparks your inspiration?

luvver_3d opened this issue on Mar 06, 2006 ยท 9 posts

luvver_3d posted Mon, 06 March 2006 at 9:45 PM

In other words, who/what inspires you as an animator? I get most of my inspiration from watching old silent films, where actors literally used their bodies to tell a story. I also get highly inspired from watching athletes like figure skaters, ballerinas, and even track and field. Animals are a great source of inspiration as well. I can sit down and watch my cat for hours, examining it's graceful movements. So let's hear your inspiration.

Bobasaur posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 10:34 AM

A pun. A song. A metaphor. Usually self-inflicted. I find I'm much more interested in the effect the idea conveyed by the animation has on the viewer than the mastery of technical skills. Even the stimulus of an emotion via the aesthetics of the piece - a common goal of art - is secondary to telling a story. I know it shows in my work (although I'd like to think I'm improving over time). If I had a budget I wouldn't hesitate to hire a production designer to make up for the things I lack in but my heart is usually in the story so that's where I get my inspiration and focus my time.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

maxxxmodelz posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 12:12 PM

Attached Link: http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/directors/tbrothers/

Oh, I get inspiration from a variety of things in both life and art.

In the realm of art, stop-motion animation really interests and inspires a lot of my work in CG. I believe some of the great masters of that art are the masters of immitating motion, and their work is even more closely tied to what we do in 3D animation than that of the 2D world.

At the forefront of my list of favorites is the incomparable Brothers Quay. Their style of remarkably fluid stop-motion animation and puppetry is haunting and surrealistic. All one needs to do is watch some of their features like "Street Of Crocodiles" or "The Comb", and you'll understand just how unique (and strange) these brothers' works actually are. Sometimes it's hard to believe you're watching stop-motion.

If anyone has any interest in learning a little more about them, I've provided a link. ;-) PS: Bobasaur, I wouldn't mind collaborating with you on something sometime. One thing I always need is some original scores for my projects, and you seem to have a passion for sound and music in your works. :-)

Message edited on: 03/07/2006 12:17

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

Bobasaur posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 1:27 PM

Attached Link: http://www.abunchofshortguys.com/Mambo4.5.2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=26

@maxxxmodelz, That actually sounds great! If something strikes you as worth doing, let me know. I'll keep it in mind as well. BTW, Ray Harryhausen is going to be speaking here in Dallas on 3/30/06. I plan on seeing him.

archdruid posted Tue, 07 March 2006 at 7:21 PM

For me, there are two quotes. "Anything you can imagine, is possible." and "What if?" Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

devilsreject posted Sat, 11 March 2006 at 10:01 PM

I get inspired every time I see a good animation. Doesn't matter what application or software was used, or if it was hand drawn or stop motion. If it's good, I immediately think about how it was produced, and how I could do something similar. I know many animators try not to look at other animations for inspiration, but this is what gets my creative juices flowing. Sure, things in real life are inspiring too, but mostly other people's works, when done well, get me excited about the craft.

Lawndart posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 12:28 PM

What excites me is watching the real world. I do a LOT of people watching. I do a LOT of world watching. I constantly find myself amazed at the things I notice in our world when I'm REALLY paying attention to what's going on. When I can strip down my own ego based sense of what is happening around me, I find many ideas and examples. I don't mean ego in a negative sense. I mean ego in a sense of how I have always looked at the world. I have found it to be a filter on how I see the things around me. When I can drop that filter, amazing things can happen. I can feel things at a deeper, more pure level. Things resinate better with me. If I can watch a persons movement without judging how they are acting or even what they are wearing, I can see the movement at a deeper level. I believe that animators see the world in a whole differant way than most people. Cheers, Joe

Bobasaur posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 1:37 PM

"I believe that animators see the world in a whole differant way than most people." I'd love to hear more on that thought. And perhaps a comparison on how animators see the world vs. how still image artists might see the world. Are we talking form vs. motion and color vs. rhythm or are we talking something completely different?

archdruid posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 3:48 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I have been a people watcher for most of my life. My favourite thing is to "perch" somewhere, and take it all in. Yet, in taking it in, I will also be seeing the little quirks that people have. It fascinates me.... much of it is body language, some is in little gestures, that some make, or the way they're standing, or sitting. I look at animals, especially horses, and see a lot on the same... it's funny, now that I think about it but, if you watch any mobile creature, you begin to see the individual, and what outwardly makes them so. Thing is, I'm not STUDYING anyone, I just kind-of absorb what I see. Am I making any kind of sense here? Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."