Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Procedural Grass Techniques?

bagginsbill opened this issue on Mar 30, 2006 ยท 49 posts

bagginsbill posted Thu, 30 March 2006 at 8:44 AM

Here's a WIP showing two approaches to making grass.

I made the grass in the background from a single-sided square. I used nodes to make random displacements and random green colors. It looks ok, but not great. I suppose this technique is good for distant grass. By using blend nodes and masks, you could easily make the grass only "grow" in certain areas.

The grass in the foreground is actually hair grown on the hi-res square (cloth plane). By using the hair room simulation with collisions, I was able to get the figure and ball to crush and bend the blades of grass pretty well. But the hair shader produces kind of fuzzy looking blades. Plus, I'm not really happy with the "kink" as a way of making the blades bend in random ways. The stupid hair room kink needs more parameters, or maybe I need help on how to make them just bend smoothly in random directions.

I also tried some grass props. These produce very nice looking blades, but managing several hundred copies of the prop to fill a big area is really not a great solution. Plus, there is no good way to make the geometry bend around figures and props.

I searched the forum and web as best I could to try to find examples of procedural grass that works in Poser. I've seen other tools that specialize in terrain generation but I'm looking for a poser way to do this. However, I'm not averse to using some simple utility to generate the blade geometry.

So my question to the community is - have you made or seen a better technique for doing grass? Distant grass and foreground grass techniques could be different, as long as it is possible to merge the two in the same picture. Bending the blades away from props and figures is important.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)