Forum: Fractals

Subject: Apo is taking over the world

Deagol opened this issue on Apr 24, 2006 · 45 posts

Deagol posted Mon, 24 April 2006 at 1:56 PM

So, the new version of apo has been released. I went to the release site (forgot the name) 2 days after the announcement of the new version and noticed that it had already had over 600 downloads. That is impressive.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of flames, they are becoming the standard for fractal art. I know, "free" is the main reason for all of the downloads, but "free" is a pretty good marketing strategy, especially when it is a good product to begin with. I don't see how the makers of UF and XD can compete in the long run.

You already know what I think of flames, but just in case... I like them but I think that the really good ones are few and far between. On any given day the DA fractal gallery looks like a nicely rendered random batch. Even the cool tiles and patterns don't do much for my artistic senses, although they are technically very cool.

BUT, what I think of flames doesn't amount to a hill of poopoo when you have over 600 downloads in 2 days. Apo is now defining "pure" fractal art. Like it or not, when fractal art finally appears in the high end galleries in the big cities, that art will be made of flames.

Thoughts? Specifically, what about "free"? What sort of impact is that having on the world of fractal art? We have seen this strategy before, haven't we - with web browsers and operating systems?