Forum: Carrara

Subject: UV Unfold bug found...

SEJ opened this issue on May 02, 2006 · 4 posts

SEJ posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 7:41 PM

I've tried everything I can find and think of to make UV Unfold work correctly. Here is what I know so far.

I tried flipping the texture map on an object file exported from Hexagon 2 with UV Unfold UVs. It then showed up on the object file but the texture was very distorted (showing the objects white) at every rotation. Then I saved the same file as a Carrara file and the texture map came in fine but when I tried to use the Hexagon exported displacement map on the object it looked bad and the displacement did not work as it should at all.

To sum it up, it appears that Hexagon 2 exports displacement maps in object files just fine, however if UV Unfold is used for the texture map on the object file the texture is messed up (no matter what). On the other hand the UV Unfold textures come in fine on an object exported from Hexagon 2 as a Carrara file but the Hexagon 2 exported displacement map does not work on the Carrara object.

ren_mem posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 8:31 PM

So you also flipped the bad displacement map? You could just try using the dis map you got that worked and use carrara export w/ texture.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

SEJ posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 9:24 PM

Yeah, I flipped the bad displacement map in the Carrara file (the displacement map was exported from Hexagon 2) and the displacement map was still bad though the texture map was good. Go figure? (seems half-baked)

In the object file the displacement was flattened by nature of the file (as it states in the manual it becomes part of the object file). So the displacement always comes in good in an object file. The texture map, however, in the object file comes in very screwed up. I also tried flipping the object file's texture map to make it work. The texture map would just move around the object differently always showing large breaks and the base white color of the object.

Not good results either way using UV Unfold.

ren_mem posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 11:46 PM

hmmmm...

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.