Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: printing poser images

PapaBlueMarlin opened this issue on May 13, 2006 · 8 posts

PapaBlueMarlin posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 5:24 PM

Anyone else having frustrations printing their poser images?  Is there a tutorial out there about how to get a good result?

I've been printing my 1200X1200 images from Photoshop on 8.5X11 Kodak paper using an HP printer.  But some of the edges in the image look pixelated.

sandman_dreaming posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 6:43 PM

I've printed a few Poser pics and they come out very well....I assume when you render your images in Poser you change the default dpi setting of 72 to something much higher...I usually go for 300 dpi or even higher. Obviously this will increase render times, but is necessary to avoid pixelation as the default 72 dpi is only really intended for screen display and not printing.

PapaBlueMarlin posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 7:00 PM

I save my renders in tif format until postwork where they are saved as 72 dpi jpegs.

elizabyte posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 12:12 AM

If you're trying to print a 72dpi jpg you're not going to get a good result. It's going to be grainy.

Save in 300dpi format  if you want to print them.

bonni

"When a man gives his opinion, he's a man. When a woman gives her opinion, she's a bitch." - Bette Davis

SWAMP posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:07 AM

“…they are saved as 72 dpi jpegs.”

Jpeg is a “Lossy” format intended for web and screen viewing, but is a poor choice for printing.

Save your work in a “Loss-less” format like Tiff for printing (personally I use PDF).

Also 1200x1200 @72dpi is only giving you a 4x4 inch print at printer resolution (300dpi).

If you are printing larger than that, it isn’t going to look very good.

If you render your image at 2400x2400 @300dpi in Poser, you will get an 8x8 inch print that fits nicely on your size printing paper.

Chuck

PapaBlueMarlin posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 8:07 AM

Even though it's only 1200x1200, its trying to print an entire page.  How do I get it to only print 4X4?

SWAMP posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:29 PM

“How do I get it to only print 4X4?”

Well to make things less confusing (till you get the hang of print vs screen resolution), you could first change the DPI from 72 to 300 in your paint program.

That doesn’t resize, resample or change the number of pixels … it just changes the math for your printer (1200x1200 is 1200x1200 no matter what the DPI is).

But the software you are printing from, (your paint program or the printer’s software) should have either a “page setup” or “print preview” dialog box where you can adjust the size that will be printed.

Chuck

PapaBlueMarlin posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:59 PM

The print preview is still trying to print full page even though its 72 dpi.  In fact some of the image is being cropped off.