Forum: Carrara

Subject: Noob question about Camera FOV

drawbridgep opened this issue on May 18, 2006 · 4 posts

drawbridgep posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 7:32 AM

With all the new Carrara users out there, there are gonna be a TON of probably stupid questions.  Here's my first.

How do I change the camera Field of View?   I'm sure it's obvious, but I just can't see it.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

bluetone posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 8:11 AM

Look in the properties for the camera and you will find the Lens length option. Adjust that to get your field of view.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity! ;)

drawbridgep posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 8:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.   And the welcome.    I'm a Brycer, so I'm used to the insanity.  This is just a different asylum..

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

sfdex posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 12:39 PM

Field of View?  I assume that's a Bryce-specific term.

You can change the properties of the camera -- the focal length (how much zoom), and such as said above in the camera's properties tab.  You can pan and dolly using the controls on the right side of the interface window, or if you're using a four-panel view of the scene, you can drag the camera in any of the ortho views.  This will also change what the camera is looking at, or what was called (back in my film-school days) as it's field of view.

You can also change the aspect ratio of the scene (from the standard 4:3 TV shaped) to a vertical, or to a widescreen or whatever you like in the render room.  Click the little film icon at the top of the interface and then you can change the render settings. 

Carrara does a lot for you, but it also requires that you do a lot.  It's always tough getting used to a new interface (I'm currently going through that with Poser 6).  Good luck!

- Dex