Forum: Bryce

Subject: NEED HELP LOADING PRESETS! AAARRRGGGH

Mugsey opened this issue on May 24, 2006 · 11 posts

Mugsey posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:44 PM

Dear Abbey...

I have about a GAZILLION .mats, .bsk's, .obp's,and .bto's that I wanna stick into BRYCE 5.

NOW - when I just IMPORT them into the edit thingamabob one at a time - it takes an eternity.

I tried looking for a folder in my DAZ / BRYCE 5 program files to stick'em in - but the preset folders seem to not be structured so that you can just drop them in there in one fell swoop - and there ya go.

Is there a quick and easy way to get this stuff into Bryce 5.01 WITHOUT sittin there all day going "CLICK - IMPORT - OPEN - CLICK - IMPORT - OPEN - CLICK - IMPORT - OPEN - CLICK - IMPORT...AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

artnik posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 2:46 PM

I was wondering about that too.  I have a huge collection for Bryce, as well. I love the variety, but I hate the loading part.

pakled posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 4:24 PM

I'm not aware of a way around this (but if there is, I'm there..;) and boy, is it tedious. Almost as tedious as deleting a coupla hundred mats..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Mugsey posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 7:42 PM

I'm a MAT ADDICT - my personal library / collection is HUGE. I wish there was an easy way around this...

CrazyDawg posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 8:53 PM

Mugsey warning mate. if you have to many mats/skies in your bryce library you'll find bryce will crash on you or take ages to load the library.

My system is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+(2.2gig), 1gig ram and i had well over 70 skies at one time which took a while for the library to open. Now i have it down to around 30 its not so bad.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Mugsey posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 7:16 AM

Thanks for the tip C.D. - I'll try to keep it low, although I DO have a terrific assortment.

TheBryster posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 8:25 AM Forum Moderator

Try to split your mats into groups, but don't load them into Bryce.

When you start a project only load the groups you need into your presets folder.

For example: If you are going to building a space ship load up your metal mat group......

Overloading your texture/mat catalogue can cause the catalogue itself to become corrupted and you'll be back to square one befoe you know it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pakled posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 11:25 AM

hmm..good ta know..;) it's not usually a problem, until you load 1 that separates into about 40 mats..sigh..I think I have 2,000 seperate mat files, but I also keep backups..;)

Stephen Ray posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 5:08 PM

I have separated all my MATs and Object OBPs libraries into categories I prefer. Example :Bryce5/Presets/Objects/Architecture/

inside the Architecture folder are libraries named: Bridges,Buildings,Houses,Rural,Urban, etc....( I think you can have up to 14 libraries inside a folder.

In the libraries I have massive amounts of OBPs or Mats, I keep a back -up ( on CD or DVD ) When I have to reinstall Bryce I delete all the default installed Libraries, then drag and drop my back-up libraries into the correct preset folders.

Only thing is you have to keep your back up Libraries current.

Stephen Ray

Mugsey posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 7:57 PM

I thought about installing my own folders (i.e. "Architectural") into Bryces preset section - but there is one section labelled content - but another entirely different one labelled presets. I really didn't have a step by step procedure for that that I could trust.

Also - I have no way of previewing mats, skies, etc. BEFORE I install them. My collection total is probably around 4000 presets altogether and growing. I wish there was an app that allowed you to actually see what a preset is before you load it since I have terrains with names like "Coffe and Cream" and metals with names like "Candy Shine" - and skies with names like "Tangerine Dreams" - it's really hard to tell what you have before you put it in Bryce.

I seperated them once into BRYCE CATEGORIES (Terrains, Waters, etc...) And found that I had terrains mixed in with my miscellanious mats and glasses mixed in with waters and liquids because I couldn't preview the stuff first.

pakled posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 9:30 PM

it happens..;)  I have a database, where I try to load a pic from where I download them..so I can hopefully decide later. even so, there's a problem trying to get things sorted out..feel for ya, dude..;)