Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Wanting to remove other versions of Poser...but

Darboshanski opened this issue on May 26, 2006 · 21 posts

Darboshanski posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 8:21 AM

I have P6 now and I would really like to remove P4. However, I want to keep the Runtime folder becuase I continue to use the content from it. Can I just remove the entire Runtime folder from P4 and stick it into another part of my drive and just direct P6 to it?

Thanks,
Micheál

My Facebook Page

Valerian70 posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 8:48 AM

Seeing as you can do just that in P5 then I see no reason that you would not be able to do so in P6.

Love those external Runtimes :o)

Khai posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 8:52 AM

yup
I did that.. I went into my P4 and P5 setups and deleted everything but the Runtimes.. then linked those to P6..

no probs at all..

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 1:47 PM

My only suggestion would be to delete the UI and Prefs and any other subdirectoys under runtime for P4 that doesn't include model information. Even Python, I'd move Python to the P6 directory as it only runs Python scripts from within it's main runtime, or so I was told. In otherwords,

Runtime: Geometries
                  Librairies
                  Lights
                  Reflection Maps
                  Templates
                  Textures

Are the ones you really need to keep, plus any downloaded content directories with INJection information like all those DAZ subdirectories that start with the ! Mark.

SamTherapy posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 2:27 PM

Yep, you can.  Runtimes are not application dependent.  They are simply a set of files and pointers to other files.

Really good, foolproof idea they came up with there, considering the other shite that Poser drags around with it.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Darboshanski posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:59 PM

Okay let me get this straight I can take my Runtime: Geometries, Librairies, Lights, Reflection Maps, Templates, Textures folders and place them in a different named folder, other than Poser 4, in my C: drive and uninstall poser 4?

Then go into P6 and direct it to the new named folder with the old P4 Runtime in it? I just don't want to cock things up

My Facebook Page

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 10:18 PM

Yes Tim, that's exactly what you do, you just don't need the UI and pref's and any actual program related subfolders that tell Poser how to operate. Poser 6 has those subdirectories already in it's main runtime and they're wasted space in any external runtime.

All my external runtimes are now on an external fire wire 250 gig hard drive I just bought. I got way to close to filling up my system drive. LOL! Now I can download for another 20 years worth of freebies! 😉

Darboshanski posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 7:21 PM

Poser 4 gone, new files made everything Copastedic!

My Facebook Page

kjer_99 posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 12:50 PM

You guys make it sound so simple but I have never been able to link any external Runtime so it would work with P5, when I used it, or P6, which I now use.  How do you name it so Poser 6 will recognize it and let me get stuff from it? 

Jeremy

Darboshanski posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 3:41 PM

Quote - You guys make it sound so simple but I have never been able to link any external Runtime so it would work with P5, when I used it, or P6, which I now use.  How do you name it so Poser 6 will recognize it and let me get stuff from it? 

Jeremy

All I did Jeremy was delete all the folders in my P4 Runtime folder with exception of the Geo, Lib, reflect maps, texture, templates, 3DS and OBJ folders. Made a folder in my C: drive and named "My Content" then placed all the folders I kept (Geo, Lib, text, etc.) into it. Uninstalled P4. Then went into P6 and went to Libraries and just clicked in the folder with the up arrow until I couldn't go any farther. Then at the bottom of the Libraries platlette I clicked in the "+" button to add another Runtime folder. Found the location of the new Runtime folder and added it.
That was it. As far as I know you can name the folder any way you want as long as the paths are correct i.e. My content/Runtime/Geometries/etc.

Is P6 not letting you add this folder or is it not finding it?

My Facebook Page

kjer_99 posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 7:01 PM

I think (but am not sure that it is not finding it after I have placed it within the program.   Thanks for the quick reply.  I play around and see what happens, following your suggestion and get back to you. 

Jeremy

kjer_99 posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:01 PM

Sealtm2, I am confused by this part of your explanation:

"Then went into P6 and went to Libraries and just clicked in the folder with the up arrow until I couldn't go any farther. Then at the bottom of the Libraries platlette I clicked in the "+" button to add another Runtime folder. Found the location of the new Runtime folder and added it."

Specifically, how do you get to the "Libraries" in P6?  Are you talking about the pop out menu on the right side of the program's interface?  If so, I can go to a specific library, such as Figures, Hair, Poses, etc., but not to one specifically for Libraries.   Sorry to be so dense.  Can you please clarify a bit more?  Thanks.

Jeremy

nruddock posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:17 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2075638

This should help. The process for P6 is the same as for P5, just some slight visual differences.

Darboshanski posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:18 PM

Quote - Sealtm2, I am confused by this part of your explanation:

"Then went into P6 and went to Libraries and just clicked in the folder with the up arrow until I couldn't go any farther. Then at the bottom of the Libraries platlette I clicked in the "+" button to add another Runtime folder. Found the location of the new Runtime folder and added it."

Specifically, how do you get to the "Libraries" in P6?  Are you talking about the pop out menu on the right side of the program's interface?  If so, I can go to a specific library, such as Figures, Hair, Poses, etc., but not to one specifically for Libraries.   Sorry to be so dense.  Can you please clarify a bit more?  Thanks.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I mean the pop out menu at the right hand side of the interface. You can go to any of the selections i.e. pose, hair, etc and click in that very top folder with the up arrow until you can't go any farther. This should take you all the way to the folders named Poser 6 and download. In this part of the pop out menu you will see, at the bottom, a check symbol and a plus sign. Click on the plus sign and that will give you the ability to add or link to another Runtime folder you've created. P6 should have no trouble finding it once you've added it to the pop out menu.

My Facebook Page

kjer_99 posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:35 PM

Oh boy!  Now I really feel stupid!  I should have figured that one out for myself.  Anyway, that did the trick.  Thanks!  One last question:  Can I do this with a runtime on a CD? and if so, what do I have to do that may be different? 

Jeremy

Darboshanski posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:45 PM

I think you'd do basically the same thing except you may want to copy the CD to your hard drive or make sure the CD is in your CD-ROM drive so P6 can find it when you want to access the content.

My Facebook Page

kjer_99 posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 10:15 PM

nruddock,

Thanks for that link!  It definitely was also helpful.

Jeremy

jfbeute posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 1:15 AM

You may want to run Correct Reference after moving a runtime. This will fix any incorrect references (like full pathnames used in any file). The free version is usefull, the pro version is of course way better.

When run for the first time you will be amazed about the number of errors reported (even in files delivered with the standard package).

Once you get the hang of using different runtimes (and using Correct Reference for fixing problems) you soon find yourself reorganizing your runtimes several times until you find some setup that works for you (and this will change over time as content and experience grows).

Having a runtime on a CD is not the best idea, when you leave Poser with this runtime active the next time you start Poser it will try to activate this runtime, this may cause all kinds of problems if the CD is not in the drive.

kjer_99 posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 1:34 AM

Well, I did some experimenting and what I do with it on a CD is copy it to C: drive to use in Poser.  When I'm finished using it, I simply delete the file from the C: drive.   I really need to get rid of a lot of stuff that I rarely use.  This seems to be a workable way to do it for me. 

Thanks for all the help!

J.

Phantast posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 4:53 AM

Supposing you simply copied the P4 runtime onto the P6 runtime, would that work? Or would it overwrite something?

nruddock posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 5:52 AM

Quote - Supposing you simply copied the P4 runtime onto the P6 runtime, would that work? Or would it overwrite something?

You do need to be careful if you do that.
If you copy the whole Runtime, you end up doing a reinstall.
Make sure you copy only geometries, textures, and (most of the) libraries.

It's definitely safer to link your P4 Runtime.
The one thing that it is helpful to copy over is any morph delta files (in !DAZ and similar).