Forum: Vue

Subject: Black and white rendering

SteveCat opened this issue on Jun 06, 2006 · 13 posts

SteveCat posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 3:54 PM

Any way to do Ansel Adams style scenery "photos"?

diolma posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 4:11 PM

Well, I can think of 2 ways...

After creating the scene as normal (in full colour):

1. (The easy way).  Render and save resulting pic. Import pic into (almost any) photo enhancement (2D painting) app. Convert to grey-scale...

2. (The not so easy way). Change all the textures on everything in the Vue scene to a grey-scale equivalent. That includes the atmosphere, the sunlight, all and any textures applied to any terrains/rocks/trees/water etc.. Then render...

There may be another way. But I don't know it...

Cheers,
Diolma

SteveCat posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 7:02 PM

Well the problem with with #1 is that greyscale by itself is only 32? shades, anyway doesn't really look like a high quality B&W photo

Veritas777 posted Tue, 06 June 2006 at 8:16 PM

My method is to use Photoshop and use the saturation control- reduce down the color until it is nearly B&W-- but it's STILL a color RGB image. This looks much better!

Also- you can add a very slight color tone- like blue, sepia, etc (I mean VERY SLIGHT) and it will look like a professional lab photo when you print it on an Epson color printer...

impish posted Wed, 07 June 2006 at 7:44 AM

The number of shades of grey depends on the image format, how many Vue exports for the image format and how many your paint package supports.  Nice and simple...

😉

The one that supports the least will be the controlling factor in how many you get to play with.  For example:

Personally I like to use Veritas' suggestion as it gives a bit of mood to the image.

impworks | vue news blog | twitter | pinterest

diolma posted Wed, 07 June 2006 at 4:48 PM

"My method is to use Photoshop and use the saturation control- reduce down the color until it is nearly B&W-- but it's STILL a color RGB image. This looks much better!"

Agreed, it may look better... but it's still not a B/W image. It wouldn't look right printed on a B/W-only printer (if such a thing still exists)....

The vast majority (currently) of apps, formats, VDUs and (home-owner) printers support the 32-bit paradigm:
8 bits for each of the R/G/B values (=24 bits) with 8 bits left over (usually either unused or used for alpha-mask info). That means that each of the R/G/B channels can vary from 0-255.

Since (true) grey-scale means that R = G = B for each pixel/dot, then there are (as said in Impish's post) 256 levels of grey available. Not the best by any means, but the best that most of us poor home-owners are likely to get for some time to come.

What WOULD be nice is a totally new format which used (eg) 16 bits/pixel specifically for grey-scale images. But that would require changes to the majority of software/hardware for what is rather a niche market these days...I'll not hold my breath, nor save up my pennies (pennies wouldn't be enough..)

Cheers,
Diolma

SteveCat posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 1:59 PM

Well, I actually tried it out!  Decreasing the saturation just decreases the number of colors.  As you begin to approach B & W you get a grayscale image, adding   a hue just colorizes the same number of pixels.  In other words you just get 256 shades of blue.  Even with a tad left of colors, noticeable a color image,  you bump up against the 256 limit.  For some reason  the image I used got 236 colors even while slightly colored in what appeared to be more than just one shade, rather than just a hue if you know what I mean.  Learned something though

Thanks
Steve Cat

Veritas777 posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 2:36 PM

Well, what's funny here to me is that I own two large 42" wide Epson printers and I have been making up to $15,000 a month printing art and photography! (I started with a $125,000 IRIS 3047 in my home...)

...Too bad I don't know how to print toned B&W photography...heh!!!

(Excuse me while I change the Arches sheet...Arches watercolor paper is... well, nevermind.)

diolma posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 4:17 PM

"Well, what's funny here to me is that I own two large 42" wide Epson printers and I have been making up to $15,000 a month printing art and photography! (I started with a $125,000 IRIS 3047 in my home...)

...Too bad I don't know how to print toned B&W photography...heh!!!"

Veritas777: I never suggested nor (as far as I can see) anyone else suggested you didn't know how to print toned B&W photography... but...

The question was: (slightly rephrased) How to do B&W pics...(no tones)..

The originator didn't specify what type of PC he/she was working on, nor what type of equipment he/she was working with... Also, there was nothing said about "for print".  But regardless...

Questions:
Would your method work with a £75.00 Lexmark  (about the most I can afford) printer?
How do I increase the # of bits-per-pixel, (so that I can get finer gradation in grey-scale) when using Win2K?
Would the RGB images still look as good if printed when using the "B&W" option? (On the Lexmark, this is an option, it only uses the "Black Ink" cartridge, which, I admit, makes a bit of of fool of me when I referred to B&W only printers possibly not existing - I'd forgotten about that possibility at the time of posting.)

I don't have your sort of experience, nor your money. I wasn't suggesting (at least I hope I wasn't) that you don't know your stuff. I was commenting on PURE B&W images, given the limitations that I know the majority of us ((non-professionals) have.

Apologies if I caused offence, but I still stick with my comments...

Cheers,
Diolma

silverblade33 posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 8:01 AM

Actually, iirc, TGA format supports 16 bit greyscale?

I know oen format does was readign abot such stuff on the WOrld Builder forums ;)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

diolma posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 1:27 PM

"Actually, iirc, TGA format supports 16 bit greyscale?"

Hmm - now you come to mention it, I seem to remember that TGA (or another similarly-named) format supports 16-bit greyscale.

No use to me, alas. I don't have (AFAIK) any software that's capable of generating and/or manipulating 16-bit greyscale:-((

But Cheers, anyway,
Diolma

silverblade33 posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 3:03 PM

photoshop c2 should be able too in RAW format I think?

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

visionality posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 5:20 PM

Well, if you're using V5i (don't know whether it works with the other Vue versions as well), there is an ultimatively easy way: Double-Click on your camera to open the options menu, activate "post processing" and pull the "saturation" bar completely to the left. Et voila: black and white!!!