Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Copying Runtimes

BUSHY8996 opened this issue on Jun 08, 2006 · 6 posts

BUSHY8996 posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 11:13 AM

Can someone tell me/confirm that if I copy & paste a copy of my runtime - with all my installed daz figures ect....to a different hard drive. Then if I ever needed to reinstall my whole o/s and Poser. That I can just delete the installed runtime & replace it with the copy I have on my other hard drive - is it really that simple & once this has been done - when I open poser 6 will everthing appear in the library??

As I get fedup with haveing to re-install everything - takes forever!

Cheers,

John

thefixer posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 12:37 PM

I always back up my runtime to disc once a month. Basically that means just burning it to DVD and if I do an re-install I delete the runtime off the install and paste the backed up one in. Yes it is that simple and it works fine!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

odeathoflife posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 10:10 PM

My 'other' runtimes are turning into a pain for me(p5 p5downloads, and p6 downloads), is it possible to drag and drop these over top my p6 runtime?

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

jfbeute posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 1:12 AM

Just one remark.

If you have multiple runtimes (if you don't try it out, it's a real bonus) you may have to reattach those runtimes but everything will appear as it was before after a restore. You may consider copying your entire Poser directory (this would also restore your preferences). You will still have to install Poser before restoring your directory since some registry entries are only set during the install (this applies to most programs, install first then restore the copy).

thefixer posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 1:50 AM

The runtime isn't part of the programme as it stands, it's just a folder that the programme accesses and as such has nothing to do with registry entries. Yes you will obviously have to re-install your main Poser programme but that isn't what the original question was.

The runtime "can" be copied as a complete folder and put somewhere safe, you can then uninstall Poser and manually delete the folders it leaves behind, you must delete those folders as well to do a completely clean re-install,  then do a complete re-install and when that's done you delete the runtime from the install and replace it with the one you kept safe. This has no effect on registry entries or anything else and it works just fine, I've done it before and if I'm not mistaken there is instruction on doing this on the CL web site.

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

BUSHY8996 posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 5:10 AM

Thanks guys - this will save me a lot of time in the future.