Forum: Carrara

Subject: Slow animation

chrisdoa opened this issue on Jun 09, 2006 · 3 posts

chrisdoa posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 2:32 PM

Hi. I'm new to Carrara and have just tried to inport an animation from Poser. The import is find but Carrara seems to tyo be incredibly slow at the real time playing of the wire/box/texture model. Its also really slouchy at anything involving the animation bar. It take 20sec to jump from one keyframe to the next.

I'm running an Athlon 64X2 4200 and 2 gig of mem, but it don't seem to like it. I have no probs running the animation (600 frames of a walking figure) in poser, the carrara rendering engine seems to much faster, but can't do the apparently easy bit!

Please could someone give me some advice 'cos i'm probvably doing someting stupid

Chris

sfdex posted Fri, 09 June 2006 at 3:43 PM

I don't think you're actually havnig any system troubles there, nor are you doing anything stupid.  Carrara (and most 3D apps) don't play animations at real speed, particularly when lots of polygons are involved.  Poser, of course, is optimized to move its models as quickly as possible, but even there, I find that I need to allow it to go into whatever it's called when you just see boxes in place of the figures.

Carrara will render your scene much more quickly than Poser will (and I think much better), but when you're working on the setup, it's going to be kind of slow.  If you're wanting to animate other objects inside Carrara after you've imported the animation from Poser, try either making the poser figure invisible or just showing bounding boxes.  I'm not in front of Carrara right now, but you can make the figure invisible in the properties panel.  There's also an option somewhere in the pull-down menus to make the object visible or not visible in the 3D views.  Just be sure to make the Poser Person visible again when you go to render!

Hope that's helpful.

- Dex

chrisdoa posted Sat, 10 June 2006 at 5:41 PM

Ok. Thanks for that. Its reassuring to know I'm not doing anyting stupid and just need to be a bit more patient.

Cheers Chris