Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Miki and Poser 5

gojira opened this issue on Jun 22, 2006 · 12 posts

gojira posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 9:22 AM

Hi.  Do you need to have Poser 6 installed for Miki to load, or like Terai Yuki 2, will she work in Poser 5 . . . ? 

Thanks . . .

LostinSpaceman posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 9:26 AM

You must have Poser 6 for Miki to load but once you've loaded her you can resave her to your library with external morph target's (The PMD Files) Turned off. Once she's been resaved witha ll her morphs in her CR2 she will load just fine into Poser 5 but you Have to have Poser 6 loaded to do the resave with PMD's turned off.

gojira posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 9:32 AM

Thanks . . . !

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 2:38 PM

Or you can use my free Java MorphExchange application to take the PMD and integrate it back into the CR2 as standard morphs - no need for Poser 6.  Just remember that you will lose Miki FaceRoom support (as it is not compatible between Poser 5 and 6 and not supported before P5) and binary morph injection will not work (I have not yet had the time to work out how to do all of the fixing necessary for those).

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

gojira posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 6:09 PM

Thanks . . . !  But I'm not sure I know what you mean by PMD.  I use CR2Editor and Morph Manager for when I create hybrid characters - like TY2 and Anime Doll, but I'm not familiar with the other process of which you speak. 

I guess I didn't phrase my original question specifically enough, I'm afraid, and I apologize.  What I really should have asked is - does the Miki character have her own original geometry OBJ, or is it based on the Jessie geometry that I guess comes as a standard library file in Poser 6 . . . ?

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 6:22 PM

Well, you'll be able to load Miki into Poser 5 (or Poser4 or Pro Pack), you just won't have the morphs (because they are external binary morphs (PMD is the file extension which I think stands for "Poser Morph Data")) or FaceRoom access to her head morphs.

But I was responding to Mizrael's claim that you will need Poser 6 for Miki's morphs (so that you can save the figure with standard morphs in the CR2 and not in the new, separate PMD file). But that is not true anymore.  If you not only want to load Miki into Poser 5 or earlier, but also get her morphs, you don't need Poser 6 (big difference between $250 and $0). ;)

Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

gojira posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 6:36 PM

Yes, that's what I was wondering.  Free is better, especially with the mixed reviews I've been reading about Poser 6 - not that Poser 5 is aggravation-free . . . !

So Miki, like Terai Yuki 2, has her own geometry.  I really only want Miki for the MikiDoll character, which I guess is based on the Miki OBJ files and full morph sets . . .

So next question, how do you use that Java MorphExchange application that you were referring to . . . ?

kuroyume0161 posted Thu, 22 June 2006 at 7:30 PM

Yes, Miki has her own geometry (Miki.obz or Miki.obj in the Runtime:libraries:Character:Miki1020 folder).

Not knowing how this MikiDoll character works, it may still be a problem.  If the character uses PMD morph injection, MorphExchange won't help - it does not handle these currently.  There may be a way to use MorphExchange on the direct Inj/Rem files by modification.  Don't really have time to sort it out as I'm in the middle of a major beta-test.

MorphExchange is a Java application - that is, it runs in Windows or MacOSX just like any executable program - it is NOT a Java applet that runs in your browser (IE, FireFox,...).  It does require that you have Java 1.4.2 or later installed for it to run.  If you are not sure if you have Java installed, run a Command Prompt window (Windows) and type "java -showversion".   If it complains, there is most likely no Java installed.  A link is provided in the readme file to download a Java install.  MacOS 10.3.4 or later comes with Java 1.4.2 or later already installed.

Run it by double-clicking on the MorphExchange.jar file.  There is also a Windows shortcut that can act as an icon to run the application.  You select the actual Poser file (e.g.: CR2 file) that has a related PMD file and the morphs within the PMD are put into the CR2 as standard morph deltas.  You can also select a folder and all Poser files with PMDs will be processed - this can also recurse into subfolders with a switch.  You can download it at this link:

http://www.kuroyumes-developmentzone.com/poser_freebies.html

I did it in Java because it would be too much time and aggravation to make both Windows and MacOS applications - and that would force me into making it commercial instead of free. :)

Robert

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

gojira posted Fri, 23 June 2006 at 6:17 AM

Thanks for the instructions!  Yes - according to the brief information that the vendor gives for MikiDoll, the model is only supported in Poser 6, including this - "5 Injection-adjusting files: MiD_INJ/REM, EyePosition, MiD to MyMiki, MiD to MikiDefault."  Apparently the MikiDoll head is an extreme morph of the default Miki head.  What irritates me is that the vendor doesn't provide a read-me file, which might resolve some the questions you raised about the figure . . . 

It might be easier just to paste the Anime Doll head on the damn Miki body - at least cheaper . . . !

Oh, well - it might be fun to use the Miki character for a while until I get Poser 6 full.  I have a demo copy of Poser 6 that came with one of those 3D art magazines.  At least I have your MorphExchange.jar file to play with . . .

Thanks again . . .

LostinSpaceman posted Fri, 23 June 2006 at 1:02 PM

Well I wasn't aware of your freebie, but do me a favor and don't make it sound like I was lying with "My Claim". Sheesh! Way to make someone feel like dirt for tryin' to help!

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 23 June 2006 at 6:24 PM

Well, I've discussed the use of MorphExchange in this forum several times (one very recent thread even).  It is available in Free Stuff as well and has been there for many months (since Sept 2005).  I really must do all of this development for my own benefit if noone actually knows about it.
I don't think you were lying or anything.  Maybe 'statement' would have sufficed?

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

gojira posted Fri, 23 June 2006 at 8:41 PM

I certainly appreciate the hard work that folks like you do in creating free models and programs and such, and then post them for download . . .  I also appreciate the help that I have received from everyone who has replied to my thread . . .