Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Whispy Hair when rendering

ssween opened this issue on Jul 05, 2006 · 10 posts

ssween posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 9:17 AM

Hi - seem to remember some threads on this a while back, but for the life of me can't find them

Whenever I seem to render a character with hair, it comes out with a whispy effect around the edges - I'm hoping people know what I mean as haven't got an example pic to hand. Does anyone know how to get around this as I'm really struggling to get a decent render of a character with hair - unfortunately I've run out of ideas on what to do with bald characters !!!

any rendering advice to get the hair looking more 'solid' would be appreciated

cheers

Sean

Gora posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 9:25 AM

Quote - unfortunately I've run out of ideas on what to do with bald characters !!!

LOL!!!!

Sorry to laugh at your dilemma.... but Im having a similar issue with hair fitting Miki at the moment....
What version of poser are you using? If its 6, try setting your sample pixels higher, and turning off texture filtering... Ive found this sometimes helps.... good luck....

"If toast
always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what
happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Steven Wright

ssween posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 10:28 AM

cheers mate - it's Poser 6, so will try the options you mention - at work at the moment so can't check, but are these options in the Render settings ?

thanks Sean

thefixer posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 1:22 PM

Actually having texture filtering "ON" gives great results for hair but it "CAN" be a resource hog!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Gora posted Thu, 06 July 2006 at 6:55 AM

Quote - Actually having texture filtering "ON" gives great results for hair but it "CAN" be a resource hog!

Ive found texture filtering distorts the hair ends, and makes it seem as if its curling....
And yes, all these setting's are found on the advanced tab, of your render settings....
You could possibly also set your render resolution a little higher, however I suppose it all depends on which hair youre rendering, as some hair gives a better end result than others... Kozaburo's hair props and figures, always give the best results, but are a little resource hungry, so renders take quite a while to complete... hope this helps

"If toast
always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what
happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Steven Wright

thefixer posted Thu, 06 July 2006 at 7:22 AM

Gora's right, it's very easy to generalise! Some hair works better with it "on" and some doesn't!

I have similar issues with stockings, switching TF "ON" makes it much more realistic but beats the crap out of my resource!!

All depends on the effect you're trying to achieve!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

kayjay97 posted Thu, 06 July 2006 at 10:48 AM

Quote - but Im having a similar issue with hair fitting Miki at the moment....

There are 3 sets of hair fits for Miki being sold at RDNA by Firebirbz that cover a wide range of hairs.

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

novelist999 posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 10:09 AM

I'm coming in on this conversation a little late, but I have the same hair rendering problem with white whispy ends when I used the Sapphire Fox hair.  I dropped by to see if anyone knew why this happens as it's my favorite Poser hair.  I assumed that it was bad hair texture transparency.  I even purchased another texture package for the hair, but the results are the same. 

Any suggestions on a hair texture package for the Sapphire Fox hair? 

I will try to change the texture filtering and see if that helps.  I don't believe it does,
however, as I think I've tried that before.

Thanks,

Bobette Bryan

Realmling posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 11:12 AM

One thing to check on transmapped items in Poser6 is the Transparancy falloff setting in the materials room.

By default it is set to 0.6....make sure this value is zero on things like hair, brows and lashes. This can often give you a funky halo around the edges of things with transmaps.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

novelist999 posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 2:40 PM

Realmling,

Thanks so much. I will try that. I would love to be able to render this hair without the wispy halo. :-)

Bobette