Forum: Fractals

Subject: Art Charts

twiggypeasticks opened this issue on Jul 13, 2006 · 15 posts

twiggypeasticks posted Thu, 13 July 2006 at 6:37 PM

I have just had a look at the Art Charts and it is interesting to note that there is, as far as I can see, not one fractal artist on the list, and I think I am right in saying that the chances of a fractal artist appearing on this list is fairly remote, let's face it there are very few fractal boobs and bums!!  My most successful image "Caught on Camera" was successful because it was somewhat "rude"

In view many fractal artists are no longer posting their images with Rendo for one reason or another (a lot of this is to do with the new site format) the future looks rather depressing.  Unless some thought is given to getting artists to return to Rendo I think (sadly) that the future looks rather bleak.  There are new user friendly sites appearing on the scene all the time I think some thought needs to be given to this fact.

I would be interested to know what other memebers think

Judi

missie_mandelbrot posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 9:35 AM

Michael (miwi) is number 17 in the Favourite Images list with his Fractal Seashell and it's definitely worthy of its place. It is a shame there's only one (as far as I can see) and can completely understand Judi where you are coming from. There are some very beautiful nude images that are artistic in every respect and tastefully done and then there are those that are created in a distasteful way, usually with enormous breasts, posing in a provocative manner, not in the slightest bit artistic...the reason for this I can't understand, to me it's not art, but then again, art should provoke an emotion/reaction in the viewer and that's exactly what these images do.

I try to avoid the main gallery page and go straight to the fractal gallery to avoid all the boobs and bums. If I can remember from when I first joined (correct me if I'm wrong) but you can choose not to have these nude images displayed when you login. I know this does not solve the problem about the Art Charts and Rendo will always be what it is.

I'm one person not frequenting the Fractal Gallery much these days. I don't have the time and well...find the gallery a little more laborious than before.

Overall, I think the Art Charts do contain some fantastic art and I think it's worth a look...even if you have to try to avoid all the nudity. But it would be nice to have a nudity and non-nudity chart. I'm sure many artists from the Terragen Gallery (or any other non-nudity galleries for that matter) would probably share our thoughts too.

Heather

vikinglady posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 9:54 AM

This is were:

[my gallery options] = http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php?my_options 

These 2 options:

Filter images containing violence?
Filter images containing nudity?

are hiding.  It can be found just below the Tutorials and Contest links in the header.

missie_mandelbrot posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 10:17 AM

Thanks for that. No more nude images and no more  :blushing:

twiggypeasticks posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 11:26 AM

Hi

The purpose of my messsge was not altogether related to nudity, it was more to stress the point that there are so few (only 1 according to Heather) fractal artists on the Art Chart, and this is for several reasons.  Firstly, we seem to have fewer fractal artists at Rendo either posting images, viewing images or commenting and rating images - as Heather (Missie Mandelbrot states she is not frequenting Rendo so often as  it is not as user friendly as it used to be).  It is possible that it is not so user friendly as we are not using to properly - but then again we have not been given much guidance (well I haven't seen any here). 

The reason I felt compelled to bring up this matter is that I am afraid the Fractal Gallery is becoming the "poor relation" and we have fewer chances or reaching the heady heights on the Art Chart - personally this is no big deal but it would be good to have our wonderful Rendo fractal artists have their efforts " rewarded, also is there a way of attracting our "lost" fractal members back as I think their talent is sadly missed?

OK - I've finished now!!!!!!!  I would be interested to know your thoughts

All the best     Judi :O)

jimgardner posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 4:00 PM

Make better art.

'Friendly Fire' - God's punishment for listening to Americans.

bpclarke posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 7:26 PM

"ART" is what is between the ears.  For those of us that do the fractal arts, it is more of a facination than anything else.  We don't do it for the money often times, just for the pure enjoyment of creation and sharing with our friends and co-fractal artists.  And the other part of this is, not everyone considers what we do is art.  Seems strange to me, since I have a strong art foundation and lots of training, but this to me is far more creative than what I used to do.

As for the nudity and violence pictures, "SEX and VIOLENCE" sells!  It's that simple.  Many people would rather look at the nudity, violence, etc. because they can and they can make a whole lot more off of it in the stores than we can with our stuff.  Where would Stephen King be if it didn't sell?

I really like the Art Charts and I was really happy to see Miwi's (Michael's) image in there.  It is stunning.  I don't know how much this will eventually affect us, but we can keep a watch on it and a finger on the pulse to see.  Until then, just do what you do best.   Bunny

jimgardner posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 7:36 PM

Actually "ART" is what is in the Art Charts.

Otherwise, it would be called "The what is between the ears chart".

bpclarke posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 7:44 PM

Actually, I not disagreeing with you.  Art is what a person sees it as.  Some of us just don't like some kinds of art.  It's a preference thing.  But it's okay.  Bunny

Deagol posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:43 PM

I am not going to say much about the nudity. It has always been what it is. It's no surprise that it's popular. People collectively pay billions of dollars to see it and all that goes with it.

Now we get to see how our art rates in context with other digital art and some reality has set in. We have talked about this so many times before, but I'll say it again:

1. Most fractal images have faces that only their creators love, along with other fractal artists

2. Most viewers don't care about what we feel when we have discovered or learned something new

3. Most viewers don't care about the math

4. All that matters is the final product, not the software or the process that was used to create it (not even if it's an Apophysis image ;-))

We have also talked about the "inbreeding" that takes place in this community. We tell each other how great our art is and then we start to believe that "outsiders" will believe the same thing. When we show our art along side the other visual art and let non-fractal artists judge it, we are disappointed by the results.

None of these thoughts are new to me. I've been thinking them for a long time and they are based on real experience. But I'm still a believer. Along with the negative stuff, I have seen fractal based art stand up against the other art. We enjoy a legitimate art form and I plan on continuing to enjoy it.

The new gallery format has had no impact on my participation here. I have not been as active but that is because my interests have been elsewhere.

I have mixed feelings about the charts. I do think that they are a better reflection of reality, and there is value to that, but I wouldn't mind seeing art charts by gallery too. I hesitate though because I don't want to see a return of the hot 20 mentality that many of us grew to despise or ignore. As long as the big charts stay intact, to remind us of reality, gallery charts would be good. Besides, you never know - maybe fractal based art will occasionally dominate the big charts. I would enjoy that.

Keith

bpclarke posted Fri, 14 July 2006 at 8:46 PM

Thank you Keith.  You put it much more elegantly and succintly.  Bunny

jimgardner posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 4:21 AM

So basically what you are saying is "Make better art".

I remember hearing that somewhere before.

Fractelaar posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 3:50 PM

Art chart is for 85% fill in with Poser images so far i can see

and i think that program and matrials are more interresting for the Rendo store to

promote

and of course Nudity of soft erotic where already always populiar with vieuwers

The only fractal in the list from Micheal aka Miwi is a 3 D shell object with a texture :-)

Very nice done but not a real fractal in my idea

I think we can forget our fractal glory and have to life with that :-)

Its already fantastic that we can upload each day a image for free !!

That,s my idea about the Art charts

Cheers Arend

twiggypeasticks posted Sat, 15 July 2006 at 5:00 PM

Hi

I am pleased my thread as provoked some interesting comments, thanks Keith, Bunny and Arend (I will igonore the comments of a member who has not posted any images art or not) I hope the Art Chart will see more fractal artists in the future.  I also do not want to see a return of the 20 as I know in the end is was more trouble than it was worth. I do hope Rendo will see the return of some or our wonderful artists, but I also look forward to seeing new artists joining. 

I still think comparing chalk(fractals)  and cheese(poser)  is going to be a major mountain to climb but I look forward to the challenge.

Take care folks

Judi :O)

Rykk posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:48 AM

I reckon the Art Charts thingie is ok, though I agree it will be sorta tough for many fractals to make it. We're just a smaller group and seem to have shrunk by around 60%.

So the art charts will probably stay hard for us to attain. Unless the usual suspects - and we all know them - start doing the "V" thing in the form of " goes in my faves!!!v!!!" or something. Which, imho, should be a second time banning offense. Probably better because at least the faves would more likely be genuine. That's not saying that most faves and votes weren't true but y'all know how it was. I do like that we don't get an e-bot saying that someone has faved one of our pix. Easy enough to just hover over your thumbnails and it tells you how many you have. Doesn't really matter WHO did it, just that SOMEONE liked it that much and that's enough to warm my heart plenty.

Rick