Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What is the best app to use for Poser render

RodB opened this issue on Jul 28, 2006 · 18 posts

RodB posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 7:24 PM

Hello

Im just starting out with Poser 6 and have Vue 5 ( novice ) and Cinema 4D 9.6 ( intermediate) , my question is ,  will I get better results rendering outside of Poser , in terms of speed , quality and reliablity  in a third party app not necessarily just the two I mentioned , I also run a dual core rig which puts Poser on the backfoot before I start , but the flip side t is I can do other stuff while Poser  renders , so seeing  as Im starting out and dont want to be wasting time pursuing the wrong workflow what do you guys think is the best toolset and workflow to create large scale printed images from Poser .

Thanks Rod

Sydney_Andrews posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 7:34 PM

I prefer to render outside of Poser. I've been using Carrara for a couple of years for rendering and I'm very happy. From what I've seen, Vue and Cinema are quite capable of quality renders. E

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 7:36 PM

Yes.  Although Poser's renderer has been beefed up quite alot since Poser 4/ProPack with the help of Firefly, it is also one of the slower renderers around.

Cinema 4D R9.6 (w/Advanced Render module) is one of the faster renderers around.  I wouldn't use anything else, but read on.

Vue 5 has a much improved renderer and is great for atmospherics and landscapes.  It tends to be slow - but one must acknowledge what it's rendering - trees and grass and so on.  I tend to do landscapes and sun effects in Vue.

Don't know about Vue 5, but Vue 5 Infinite and Cinema 4D will render using as many cpus as are available.  That alone puts Poser rendering in the dust.  I can render a scene in C4D with dual processors+HT many times faster than Poser could do a similar but simpler render.  Let's just say that a scene with fully clothed figures might take Poser several hours to render at a good render quality whereas C4D might take a few minutes and achieve much better quality.

Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

vince3 posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 7:38 PM

best thing is to mix it up really!!! somedays poser is best, another day vue is best and so on, as you have three programs, use three programs, learn a bit about each, try the same scene in all programs and see which one you like best, that will give you an idea of which program you are gonna render in, when you plan future similar scenes, i find poser best for showing skin and hair textures off to their best, but when i want a detailed scene, with accurate and specific lighting i use Vue5 infinate!!! different projects require different apps basically.

ashley9803 posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 7:52 PM

While where on the topic, I've often wondered how rendering outside poser is done. Can you import a pz3 directly into another 3d application, or is there some serious fiddling to do? I have an early version of Vue, and I don't think it's up to it.

kuroyume0161 posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 8:50 PM

Carrera has TransPoser to bring in Poser scenes.

Vue has Mover to bring in Poser scenes (since Vue 4 d'Esprit, I believe)

Cinema 4D has several options:
    interPoser
    Greenbriar CR2 suite
    CinePoser

Cinema 4D, LightWave, Max have these:
    BodyStudio
    old ProPack plugin (doesn't work in most newer versions)

None of these solutions is perfect, but you can generally get your Poser scenes into another 3D application for rendering one way or another. :)

Robert

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

RodB posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 9:08 PM

Just to add its vue 5 Infinite that I have so thats great to hear it supports dual core , surely Poser's next update has got to have dual core support it is so important these days , Ive read a lot people like Carrara for Poser renders , it will be interesting as the thread grows what people are using and why they are using it .

Thats nice to hear about Cinema Robert ,I have the advanced render module ,  Im still setting this machine up as I just got it , but on my former machine its was very stable and quick , it should fly on this .

Thanks Rod

Fazzel posted Fri, 28 July 2006 at 11:08 PM

Quote -
Hello

Im just starting out with Poser 6 and have Vue 5 ( novice ) and Cinema 4D 9.6 ( intermediate) , my question is ,  will I get better results rendering outside of Poser , in terms of speed , quality and reliablity  in a third party app not necessarily just the two I mentioned , I also run a dual core rig which puts Poser on the backfoot before I start , but the flip side t is I can do other stuff while Poser  renders , so seeing  as Im starting out and dont want to be wasting time pursuing the wrong workflow what do you guys think is the best toolset and workflow to create large scale printed images from Poser .

Thanks Rod

Maybe it's just me, but I usually use the Poser 6 Firefly renderer to do my renders.
I've tried Vue and some other ones, but for ease of use I usually just go
with Poser 6 and as far as I'm concerned the images look just fine.

ashley9803 posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 2:35 AM

Thank you.

kuroyume0161 posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 2:56 AM

I find Cinema 4D to be much better and less time to get superb results.  Now, it's hard to beat Poser's shader node system (if you can master it), but firefly is slow (but adequate for the investment).  If I were on a schedule, I'd use anything other than Poser for rendering.  Of course, use the tools that you have to the maximum benefit.  And, use the tools that you have to the maximum benefit.  Cinema 4D's renderer is far superior if you have it and when time counts, there is no competition.

The original question is "What is the best app to use for Poser render".   That depends on your resources, finances, and expectations.  Since the original poster has Vue and Cinema 4D, there is a clear choice here - Cinema 4D generally, Vue if landscapes are involved, Poser as a last resort.  Sorry, if you actually rendered a scene in Poser and in C4D, you'd agree that Poser is molasses compared to C4D's supersonic jet.  I never render in Poser anymore - with my own plugins, interPoser Ltd and Pro, it is far easier and faster to render in C4D.

You can get exceptional results in Poser 6 now with IBL and AO, but if you have a choice, use the more professional choices that have the temporal and qualitative edge.

Robert

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

mathman posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 8:39 PM

I'm confused about TransPoser for Carrara.

I've heard you need Carrara v5 Pro to import Poser scenes. I have Carrara v5 Std and there is an option to import pz3 scenes (no Transposer mentioned). Of course, because I only have 512 MB of RAM, my PC chokes when I try to use it.

Can someone clarify on this ?

Finister posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 11:29 PM

I didn't know about the Cinema4d plugins for Poser.

The InterPoser looks like it's really coming along, kuroyume0161.

I render in Poser mainly because I do use its material shaders a lot. Will/does InterPoser allow for Cinema4d to still use Poser's shaders?

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 12:44 AM

Finister, sorrily, there isn't any Poser shader node support in interPoser Ltd and there is none expected for interPoser Pro either.  At some later stage, I would like to support this is some manner - either as a simulation of the nodal system or as a 'flattening' of the nodes down to an equivalent C4D material/shader.

mathman, there are two types of Poser support with Carrara - spelling, spelling ;) - Native and Transposer.  The only difference between them is that Transposer supports dynamic hair and cloth while the native import does not.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

barrowlass posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 3:18 AM

another point - I have Vue 5 Esprit.  While it imports Poser files no problem, any shader nodes applied within Poser don't remain, so if you've gone to the trouble of doing say, wet skin nodes, anisotropics for eyes etc, they disappear.  That's the downside.  Otherwise, Vue is pretty good.

Sheila

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

Phantast posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 3:27 AM

So one doesn't bother doing wet skin nodes in Poser, one waits until the model is imported into Vue and THEN one does the fancy texturing.

Vue is not only much better for rendering than Poser, it's also much easier to lay complex scenes out and light them. Poser is crippled by the absence of a basic multiple select.

spedler posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 5:38 AM

Agreed about Vue. Although the shaders go, the skin effects can be reproduced, and possibly bettered, using the excellent SkinVue plugin by David Burdick (available at Cornucopia 3D).

Steve

Dizzi posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 7:56 AM

Quote - Native and Transposer.  The only difference between them is that Transposer supports dynamic hair and cloth while the native import does not.

No, the difference is that native import tries - like DAZ Studio - to import all kind of Poser content natively into Carrara, that means it creates bones for figures and you can pose the imported figure afterwards. But it's much bader at that than DAZ Studio at the moment. Transposer needs Poser because it passes Scene files (and it can't import anything else) "through Poser" and only gets a solid mesh for each figure by that process. So you cannot pose the result, cannot apply (MAT) poses in Carrara afterwards as you can with native. But Transposer will import dynamic hair and clothing correctly and of course also magnets (as it imports the deformed mesh) - native import can't do that.

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 1:04 PM

Okay, I took this information from the DAZ Carrara forum as authoritative - maybe I'll go correct the poster :).  But what you say is closer to what I gathered from the product pages - there really isn't any definitive information there - keep the details murky, ya know.

It's funny that you mention how horrid the native import is.  The reason being that Carrara used to be a MetaCreations product (the same guys who initially brought us Poser).  The other reason is that I've read that they used the "Poser SDK" - though this could be a reference to Transposer instead and some JA who thought that he understood how Poser works winged the native import - good luck.  Well, if these are the results of such a close relationship and nearly direct access to Poser's internal workings - I am afraid to think on it further...

All of my woes with interPoser Pro are directly related to the fact that I don't have access to Poser's internal workings (only the viewed results) and I'm trying to emulate them within Cinema 4D - which is about as far away from Poser's universe as you can get.  At least DAZ Studio has one advantage - it is it's own application.  It does not need to go from Poser to some other artifice.  It can make the artifice as Poser compliant as desired.

Robert

-- Bjarne Stroustrup