Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: A heartfelt request for Poser storytellers in the illustrated-novel style ;o)

thip opened this issue on Aug 28, 2006 · 6 posts

thip posted Mon, 28 August 2006 at 4:04 PM

Just taking the totally uncalled-for liberty of suggesting that sequential storytellers of the one-image-with-text-per-posting style change their style just a bit, to make their storytelling more immersive, and just maybe get more of the audience that they deserve.

Click the thumbnail above for an example, Gwyn, aka thefixer (http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=196087), has kindly allowed me to use one of his pages as a demonstration (and whether or not you think my layout suggestions are interesting, don't miss his story, folks!).

Obviously, there are many ways to set up the text (blocks, columns, etc.), but even the simple format shown (text placed in a separate layer on top of the image, and made slightly transparent) should illustrate the idea.

The Rendo galleries are a quite a fine place to post a sequential story, but most illustrated stories have the prose in the comments area, and the image "alone" above it. That sorta breaks the spell when dropping into the story. Why not integrate both in the same pictorial "intake", the way games magazines do with their short stories?

Not telling anyone how to do their stories, but... The Rendo galleries contains a surprising number of sequential stories of surprising quality. Why 'surprising'? Because most of them are one-man (or -woman) shows, done in the creator's spare time, and with a limited audience to cheer him/her on. Anything that makes a story more immersive raises at least the CHANCES of hooking the audience just a little more - speaking as part of the audience ;o)

And just in case anyone posts a comment : if you are doing or reading a good visual story, share a link (and no, not to mine, I'll do my own peddling LOL).