Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Now that I have Poser 5 and 6....

tom271 opened this issue on Oct 10, 2006 · 11 posts

tom271 posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 5:09 PM

Now that I have Poser 5 and 6 can I use everything that's in Poser 5 and put it into Poser 6...
There is a lot of goodies in my P5...
Can I take all of the runtime's folder content of P5 and put it into P6...?  Is that adviceable...

I would like to unisntall P5...  to make more room...  What would be the advantage of keeping both...?

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MatrixWorkz posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 5:27 PM

You're better off leaving it. There are some directories in the runtime that include vital programing that is for Poser 5 that would overwrite the same vital files needed for Poser 6 to run properly. Just delete the files you don't need and link to that runtime with Poser 6's ability to use external runtimes. If you simply must copy the files, only include the following three directories under Runtime:

Libraries
Geometries
Textures

Any other directory is likely going to contain program support files that will break Poser 6's copies.

If you have any directories that start with the exclaimation marks of some 3rd party content like !DAZ you can copy them as well.

As for the advantage of keeping both, some say speed, some say stability. Poser 5 and 6 don't run exactly the same.

My Freebies

shaft73 posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 6:03 PM

i.e. don't copy the whole folder, just the files.

Victoria_Lee posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 6:38 PM

Easier just to link to the P5 Runtime than trying to copy the files over.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

David.J.Harmon posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 7:36 PM

I don't know about you all but I have a main dir. just for my 3d and runtime files. I don't really put them into DAZ or Poser. And I don't have to run all over the place to find my files. For you know if you delete or move runtimes your artwork will not open right.

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

tom271 posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 10:21 PM

How do you link to P5's Runtime folder???? 

You're better off leaving it. There are some directories in the runtime that include vital programing that is for Poser 5 that would overwrite the same vital files needed for Poser 6 to run properly.

I was thinking... a dangerous thing for me..... either keep P5 and do  "this link"  or  copy P5's runtime folder on to the side, then un-install P5...  and link to the copy of the runtime folder....    Is this not smart...

thank you...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

David.J.Harmon posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 10:32 PM

ok in p6 when you do your lib. you have to point to a runtime.. right .. you with me. Your runtimes can be anywhere on your computer or across the network (your own little world) as long as they are alway there for p6 can see them. Yes you can take them out of p5 and place them all in one dir so you can find them. I myself make different dir for each type of mod like Auery Soul has its own runtime so I can find them faster. makes since....

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

scott8539 posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 10:44 PM

open p6 right hand side hit figures tab when thats open goto top and double click the up arrow untill you see downloads folder now up in the right corner theres a black arrow pointing down click that and scroll down to add runtime then just point to p5 and you in like flinn.

MatrixWorkz posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 11:59 PM

And to answer your other question, yeah you can move your P5 runtime somewhere else and then do the link to it from Poser 6. I still suggest you only move the directories that contain your content files and nothing eles like dots, figures, heads, imageIOPlugins, Plugins, poserhtml, prefs, Python, scripts, UI, & viewpoint. All of these directories under your runtme contain information that will conflict with Poser 6's versions.

My Freebies

tom271 posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:07 AM

Thank you all for helping me out...  I had no idea how to link stuff...

Thank you.....

Phantast posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 5:07 AM

I don't have Poser 5 installed anymore, but I do link the runtime folder in the way suggested.

One other thing: I have noticed a couple of products that work in P5 but don't in P6. So P5 can be a useful fallback.