Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: V4 First Impressions

bagginsbill opened this issue on Dec 12, 2006 · 97 posts

bagginsbill posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 5:43 PM

(Be sure to click and see image full size)

Wow, V4 is hot. There aren't that many morphs, but every one is useful. I made this knockout face and body turning maybe 15 dials. These morphs are excellent. Hopefully we'll no longer see a million renders with the same high-cheek-boned-bulbous-lips character. She could use a few more nose morphs and you need more ways to alter the area around the eyes. They included a couple really good eye morphs, but to get into celebrity lookalike territory, you're going to need more.

I didn't do so good a job matching the bikini to the body. Don't really get why the identical settings didn't do it. And am I dreaming, or did I see someone mention that the clothes are supposed to track the body morphs automatically somehow?

And hooray for Daz, she comes with a proper default shader. I'm using the standard textures here. Guess what, the shader seems to be:

1. A variation of the fake SSS I posted a while back involving Diffuse plugged into a Color Ramp with some red in the lower end.

2. A variation of the specular shader from face_off real-xyz products.

So right out of the box, her skin looks pretty good. All I did in this image is I raised the amount of SSS - they had it really low by default.

Her texture is pretty nice as is. I didn't do any extreme closeups. Could be an opportunity for more skin work there in the shader, like moles and such.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:04 PM

See, I thought the materials looked great too ^^

I am very impressed with how bendy she is without showing a lot of creasing, I don't think you could get V3 to pose like this without a lot of folding and spindling and mutilating:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1343887

My Freebies

bagginsbill posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:12 PM

pjz99 - Oh yes bendy as heck. You're render is the most extreme I've seen and she holds up well there. Thanks for showing that. I'd already seen a few bend demos, and figured that was pretty convincingly improved on this figure. I'm very impressed with her.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

operaguy posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:12 PM

and you CAN NOT get arms like that from any prior Vickie. Beautiful, shapely shoulders and arms. I have been a heavy detractor of Daz, but I salute them today. (wish the underarm cut did not come up so high, though.)

bb, thanks for contributing to the betterment of VickieSkin everywhere!

::::: Opera :::::::

Bea posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:12 PM

Did you magnetize the clothes :)

bagginsbill posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:17 PM

Opera,

Yeah that underarm cut bothered me too. Everthing is so good now, such a tiny flaw jumps out at you. 

I dialed in a little biceps flex, some thin arm, some fitness, and those arms were there. I was so suprised how easy it was to get that "glamorous vicky" look out of the box.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:21 PM

Bea - No I did not. I got too carried away just clicking. I didn't read anything while paying attention!

Now that you triggered my memory of the key word, I am able to search all the threads about this already. Thank you for the tip.

operaguy posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 6:24 PM

Teriffic BB.

I am still "dormant" even though I downloaded the V4 base, so no V4 images from me yet. I won't begin working with her until I receive my Box shippment of Poser 7. I'll purchase Colm's Sydney morphs and probably give Sydney one day to show me something equal to what you've posted here. But if not, 'Hello Vickie!"

I have dissed Daz for so long, I cannot believe I am on board. Wonder what M4 will be like and how soon?

::::: Opera :::::

hoppersan2000 posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:09 PM

Baggins,

Very nice work, I believe we have seen the deathknell for V3.  Even after reading all of the complaints about V4, I can only say one thing, WRONG!  Vicky 4 is an excellent model to work with and so very easy to get a different looking character every time, versus the clones V3.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1344561

operaguy posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:18 PM

hoppersan2000
i just looked at your render.

Will you allow one suggestion? Spinning the dials bagginsbill references in post six above you would morph her arms a little and doing nothing else you could change your render from good to great. I say this not because you did anything badly, but because it appears the default v4 arms lack definition/tone, and bb certainly attacked that in his render above.

Only a suggestion, take it or leave it.

barrowlass posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:45 AM

well, from what I've seen, they've got rid of pipe-cleaner arms - they look pretty natural!

Sheila

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

pjz99 posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:00 AM

The midriff and chest and hips are really fantastic to work with, you have a lot of flexibility to get the look you want.  IMO the head takes a lot of work to move very much away from the default, but that's okay, I think the results are worth it if you put the time in.  I'm still noticing that most of the V4 renders that the face looks very similar - good though, and the quality of how the parts fit against each other is wonderful.  Just they all tend to have the same eyes.  It's taken me a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get my first main effort to look really different in the face but still look good (to me anyway). 

My Freebies

stormchaser posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 4:11 AM

bagginsbill - You've done a good job there, she looks incredible!
I'm hoping for the extra morphs soon before I really get into character creation with her. Now that I've played with the morphing tool in Poser 7, making little details, especially in portraits is going to be fun!

takezo3001 posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 3:16 AM

Yeah, excellent work there BB, I'm hoping to see more in your gallery!...IF you can tear yourself away from the Node-room that is!  😉 I've spent so much time there, I've only came up with a new one every 1-2 years! 😉

bagginsbill posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 6:49 AM

Tak,

Exactly - all my time is in making shaders, which I almost never use for anything!

nakamuram posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 1:27 PM

Nice!!  Are those the standard DAZ Textures with no shaders?   

bagginsbill posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 5:19 PM

Nakamuram,

When you said "those" to what were you referring? The image I'm posting is the DAZ standard SHADER. To use the textures without a shader, you'd have to edit the materials. Meaning the standard Texture with about 10 shader nodes is how V4 comes from DAZ.

As I said in my original post - QUOTE:

I'm using the standard textures here. Guess what, the shader seems to be:

1. A variation of the fake SSS I posted a while back involving Diffuse plugged into a Color Ramp with some red in the lower end.

2. A variation of the specular shader from face_off real-xyz products.

So right out of the box, her skin looks pretty good. All I did in this image is I raised the amount of SSS - they had it really low by default.

nakamuram posted Sat, 16 December 2006 at 9:40 PM

Thanks for the explanation bagginsbill.  Sorry I forgot that DAZ had their own shaders in the V4 textures.   When you say "raised the amount of SSS", what exactly do your mean?

takezo3001 posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 12:36 AM

Quote - Tak,

Exactly - all my time is in making shaders, which I almost never use for anything!

:lol: Looks like we're cut from the same cloth then, as I've been locked in my "Room" trying to improve my skin-node, and thanks to your tips<-- My FS shader no longer BLOWS up using IBL! ;) } I've been busy optomising several different shaders sepreate from each other based on IBL lighting for outdoor scenes, and Non-IBL for My chiaroscuro lighting style, that I love so much!

Further, I DL'd the Modo 2.02 demo, and am currently using it's native SSS Shaders as a guide for my P6 Shaders! Although, the time spent on learning Modo's shaders takes me away from my Node addiction! 😉

BelleStudio posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 11:53 AM

V4 has awful joints. This will need lots of postwork at least as much as for V3, so whats the point to buy her and her whole closet etc. too? This is nothing for me. I belong to the lovers of V3, Miki and Aiko. :)

bagginsbill posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 5:37 PM

BelleStudio,

When you use the word "awful", I have to wonder what you mean?

One meaning (the original) of awful is "inspiring awe or fear". I'm guessing that isn't what you meant?

The other meaning is generally accepted to be "extremely bad; unpleasant; ugly" - to which I have to respond with "what are you smoking"? I'm not going to argue that V4 joints are indistinguishable from real human joints. But what you're saying make no sense. Let's define the "envelope" of a character as the set of poses within which the appearance remains somewhat realistic, with only minimal distortions. I'm of the opinion that V3's envelope is much much smaller than V4's. I can't imagine anybody ever thinking that a fully bent V4 hip or knee is real, but come on, are you seriously suggesting this is not an enormous improvement over V3? So is her  envelope 100%? No way. But V3's envelope was closer to 10%, meaning 90% of the poses you could plausibly see a human making did not look real on V3. I'd venture to say that V4's envelope is at least 30% and maybe 50%, depending on how picky you are.

Don't show me an example of a V4 joint that looks fake. Any noob can find those. Show me examples of V4 and V3 joints in similar positions, where the V3 looks more real than the V4 joint. As far as I can tell, that's pretty difficult. On the other hand, I can show you at least a dozen distinctive V3 pose failures that V4 has corrected. I don't know why you used the word "awful", unless you're a troll, because it is certain the V4 will require less postwork than V3.

operaguy posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:15 PM

Today I took a tour around my master Runtime, looking for all the pose-sets I'd acquired over time. I also visited all the newer ones that came with figures, from Ben to LaRoo! I wanted to see how V4 would take it.

I have an old set of 74 poses called "Digiport Classic" I tried out about 30 of them....they work! Or rather, V4 works. The images I am posting here received NO ADJUSTMENT after applying the pose. V4 even takes the James and Jessie poses that came with P5 and P6. Occasionally one needs to tweak after applying the pose. V4 takes the new "universal poses."

First, it is great to have a reborn library of poses for Miss Four. But what is remarkable is how well this model bends. I am astounded. 'nuf said, here come the images.

operaguy posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:16 PM

click for larger, clearer image.

operaguy posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:17 PM

operaguy posted Sun, 17 December 2006 at 7:17 PM

BelleStudio posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 12:42 PM

Quote - BelleStudio,

When you use the word "awful", I have to wonder what you mean?

One meaning (the original) of awful is "inspiring awe or fear". I'm guessing that isn't what you meant?

The other meaning is generally accepted to be "extremely bad; unpleasant; ugly" - to which I have to respond with "what are you smoking"? I'm not going to argue that V4 joints are indistinguishable from real human joints. But what you're saying make no sense. Let's define the "envelope" of a character as the set of poses within which the appearance remains somewhat realistic, with only minimal distortions. I'm of the opinion that V3's envelope is much much smaller than V4's. I can't imagine anybody ever thinking that a fully bent V4 hip or knee is real, but come on, are you seriously suggesting this is not an enormous improvement over V3? So is her  envelope 100%? No way. But V3's envelope was closer to 10%, meaning 90% of the poses you could plausibly see a human making did not look real on V3. I'd venture to say that V4's envelope is at least 30% and maybe 50%, depending on how picky you are.

Don't show me an example of a V4 joint that looks fake. Any noob can find those. Show me examples of V4 and V3 joints in similar positions, where the V3 looks more real than the V4 joint. As far as I can tell, that's pretty difficult. On the other hand, I can show you at least a dozen distinctive V3 pose failures that V4 has corrected. I don't know why you used the word "awful", unless you're a troll, because it is certain the V4 will require less postwork than V3.

I think it is time for you to quit the kindergarden: Are you really convinced that making people bad will settle your point of view as a general truth? Real arguments do not need any nasty words or defamations like "what do you smoke" or "picky" and so on(!) So you think your point of view should be shared by the whole world? This will disappoint you. I wrote my opinion on this topic and your post certainly did not change anything in it since it is not an adults one obviously. You cannot discuss any facts but only your bruised ego ;) @Operaguy: Thank you for your artful renderings and your help. I never use such poses and I think I can recognize postwork when I see some. I have done enough myself. :)

operaguy posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 12:54 PM

that last comment makes me extrememly happy. if an antatonist thinks there was postwork in my images, all the more does that extol the power of the tools. Thank you kind friend.

There is no postwork whatsoever in my images above. NORE DID I ADJUST ANY POSE after clicking on it in the library. Those are all canned poses. V4 takes poses like nobody's business.

Happy that I am me, and not...well you all know how that finishes.

thefunkyone_4ever posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 1:24 PM

BelleStudio your post must be one of the "im overly sensitive" posts i have ever seen on the internet.....ever.....  Man am i impressed... its the first time i have ever in my life seen anyone take actual offence to normal everyday phrases which would not insult 99.99999999% of the human population....

Congrats..... :D

hhmmm or could it be you could not think up a counter point to bagginsbill's post so you decided to try and change the topic by going "im so hurt and offended" ?????

I think i shall go with the  "im overly sensitive" theory.... congrats again for being the most emotional sensitive person on the planet !!!! :D

bagginsbill posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 1:32 PM

*Nakamuram asked:

When you say "raised the amount of SSS", what exactly do your mean?

*Whoops, sorry I missed your question. I meant that in the default V4 shader there is a Color Ramp node that controls the amount of extra red that is generated in order to simulate subsurface scattering, also known as SSS. The max value in the node was Red 21, and I raised it to 42. This made the SSS effect stronger.

bagginsbill posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 1:35 PM

**thefunkyone_4ever,

**I appreciate you chiming in there. Being fairly certain I made no ad hominem attack, and even more certain that I received one, I'm just not going to respond.

kimber89 posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 1:40 PM

Bagginsbill,  you did wonderful! She's lovely!
Operaguy, thank you for showcasing! Gorgeous!

If anyone has a problem ahem with V4 joints, perhaps you may wish to view Jim Burton's Bending Test:
http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57262

Faye74 posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 1:59 PM

Quote - BelleStudio your post must be one of the "im overly sensitive" posts i have ever seen on the internet.....ever.....  Man am i impressed... its the first time i have ever in my life seen anyone take actual offence to normal everyday phrases which would not insult 99.99999999% of the human population....

BelleStudio is far from being the only one. Such rude comments written against her as above are not alowed in other boards. If I were you which I am not -grin!- I would not act as if it were all normal because it is not!

BrightArro posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 2:16 PM

Quote - Bagginsbill,  you did wonderful! She's lovely!

Dont care HoneyBelle, this is exactly what this guy wanted to hear as he started the thread and not your personal opinion ;-) By the way these guys must be living in the Thunderdome where discussions are made that way: made some rude comments then hit the opponent down :-) In our civilized cities we do it the civilized way :-)

kimber89 posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 2:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - Bagginsbill,  you did wonderful! She's lovely!

Don´t care HoneyBelle, this is exactly what this guy wanted to hear as he started the thread and not your personal opinion ;-) By the way these guys must be living in the Thunderdome where discussions are made that way: made some rude comments then hit the opponent down :-) In our civilized cities we do it the civilized way :-)

Ummm, not sure what you mean here......I'm not HoneyBelle (?).
I have V4 and I like her just as much as V3 &  Aiko, I'm complimenting their work, leaving their other issues out of it.

I have lurked in Rendo forums for awhile, I don't care for alot of the attitudes that floats here (Rendo in general), which is why I do not post here much if at all.

bagginsbill posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 7:39 PM

Ok now since others are jumping on here I've got to say something.

I'm really mystified by what's going on here. When the comment was made about the joints being aweful, I made an amusing allusion to the possibility that the speaker was experiencing reality in some altered way, because all the evidence that everyone is posting shows that V4 joints are better than V3, not the opposite.

Since the comment, paraphrased, was essentially V4 is aweful and V3 is not, that seemed like a pretty odd, and in fact provocative thing to say. I did not attack anybody.

However, I'm certain that I was attacked. Considering that I have made over 500 posts, and in almost all cases those posts have  been to help people get the most out of Poser, especially shaders, I don't get where you guys are coming from. Why are you lumping me in with a generalized rude group?

I'm not suggesting anybody has to agree with me that V4 is an improvement. However, if anybody wants to make a judgement of any kind, I believe they need to support that judgement with some evidence.

I was accused of failing to deal in facts. That very accusation is rude. The improvements in the joints have been shown. Show me the ones that justify the opposing view.

And I'm not in kindertgarten, either. :)

operaguy posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:16 PM

I've decided to start up a new thread specifically about V4 taking legacy poses. If you wish, check it out, called "Nude V4 In the Reflection Studio with No Postwork". I'll just post one of the images here.

operaguy posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:29 PM

I've decided to start up a new thread specifically about V4 taking legacy poses. If you wish, check it out, called "Nude V4 In the Reflection Studio with No Postwork". I'll just post one of the images here.

pjz99 posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:29 PM

There is a difference in language and culture here.  I'm sure nobody meant to be particularly rude to anybody.  "What are you smoking" is just an American saying that means you disagree, it isn't intended to seriously hurt anyone's feelings or insult.

OG you need to tag your posts for nudity or the mods are gonna yell at you ;)

My Freebies

darkswordlord posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:29 AM

As far as I could read (and I know BelleStudio from another board) some comments like these should be avoided on any board: 'why do you smoke?* or 'picky' when you do not know whom you are talking to. Not all of us are native speakers. The same thing for asking about a word like 'awful'. I know too that many jerks are waiting around in Renderosity and thats why I barely post here. But for Gods sake if you start a thread call it the right way like 'Flatterers only' or 'Tell me Im great' because this is what it is all about, uh?

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:54 AM

Bagginsbill.. don't worry. Look at those supporters of Belle.. All of them are totally new here. Anyone can drum up their friends and have them come here and support you against "the big bad man they don't know but have heard ALL about"

Those of us who know you, and who can actually read and understand english, know better. If anyone was attacked here it sure wasn't Belle.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

BrightArro posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:15 AM

Quote - Ummm, not sure what you mean here......I'm not HoneyBelle (?).

I meant BelleStudio of course. And no, I am not new here. I just avoid the board most of the time. Now I know why :-)

Faye74 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:26 AM

Quote - As far as I could read (and I know BelleStudio from another board) some comments like these should be avoided on any board: 'why do you smoke?* or 'picky' when you do not know whom you are talking to. Not all of us are native speakers. The same thing for asking about a word like 'awful'.

I could have said that! Im not new neither. This is becoming ridiculous.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:18 AM

*This is becoming ridiculous

*I agree with that.

Look, there are some seriously unnecessarily ruffled feathers here. I already explained the idiom "what are you smoking" - it is a commonly used American phrase that is humorous in it's absurdity. Nobody who says it actually is implying the person is doing drugs. If somebody doesn't know what it means, that's fine, but since you now do know what it means, why are we still talking about it? I completely understand that a non-American might not grasp the meaning or intent, but that isn't necessarily my fault, is it?

As for the word picky, once again I seem to be up against people who are parsing the sentence in a non-native English speaking way. When I said

"I'd venture to say that V4's envelope is at least 30% and maybe 50%, depending on how picky you are."

I was using the word "you" to mean anyone making the evaluation, not BelleStudio. In American English, it is considered pompous to use the more formal word "one" as in:

""I'd venture to say that V4's envelope is at least 30% and maybe 50%, depending on how picky one is."

People used to talk like that 50 years ago. I'm perfectly capable of using such formalisms, but when I do, then I am accused of "flowery speech".

Let me rephrase the sentence so that all can understand:

*The degree to which one is satisfied by the new joint system will largely depend on the severity of the pose one is attempting to employ, as well as the level of dissimilarity to real humans one is willing to tolerate. Having said that, I believe that most people would find that about half the conceivably useful poses the figure can take on are believably correcty, while those with more exacting requirements might dispute that figure and argue that only about a third are correct and look real.

*I'm not being sarcastic. That's what I meant and I think most people understood that. I'm sorry that my informal phrasing is confusing to non-native American English speakers, but I'm not about to start writing like a pompous ass just because some people need to learn a little more about common English speech.

And as for to this comment:

*But for Gods sake if you start a thread call it the right way like 'Flatterers only' or 'Tell me I´m great' because this is what it is all about, uh? 

*I'm going to point out, as politely as I can, that my thread was never about seeking flattery, and, pay attention now, I am offended by this comment. I don't need anybody to flatter me, and I never post a discovery for the purpose of receiving a pat on the back. I post what I learn so that others may benifit from the discovery.

My personal interests tend to be focused on the intricacies of producing realistic materials in computer generated images. I was impressed with the fact that Daz has released this figure with something more than just a painted on texture. I posted an image which I thought demonstrated how well the figure imitates human skin. I also gave a helpful hint on how to slightly adjust that shader to make it appear the way it did in my render.

If you think that shader is ugly, I'm fine with that. Nobody needs to compliment me. But I've shared literally hundreds of Poser shaders here and at RDNA - it's what I do for fun. Anyone who accuses me of posting for the purpose of receiving praise is speaking without any evidence or justification. Such comments are not only unconnected to any facts, but are themselves far more rude and offensive than anything I said.

I also wanted to point out that the morphs for V4 are very useful, and I backed that statement up with the render, demonstrating a figure that, in my opinion, shows significantly more possibilities than the earlier figure, V3, from a character creation standpoint.

There were several threads already discussing the merits of her joint system. I did not post about her joints, precisely because others had already done so. Yet her joints are so amazing that others jumped showing support and interest in the quality of this figure, from that standpoint. Great!

Then, in direct contradiction to all the evidence, BelleStudio jumps in using the word "awful", which means, to any English speaker, not just Americans, extremely bad. I am willing to consider the possibility that her joints are not anywhere near perfect. But if somebody says they are worse then V3, immediately after having been shown many times that the opposite is true, is confusing and provocative.

Now in public forums, when somebody makes intentionally provocative and demonstrably incorrect statements, it is usually the case that the conveyance of the stated opinion is not their intention. Rather, such statements are made for the sole purpose of getting an outraged reaction from the other participants. Such behavior is called "trolling" and the writer is called a troll. The word troll, for you non-English speakers, is used in this case reflecting it's meaning in fishing: to fish with a moving line, working the line up or down with a fishing rod, to catch a fish using a moving lure. Trolls travel around a forum, dangling provocative opinions unjustified by any supporting facts, for the purpose of getting what, for them, is an amusing reaction from the other participants.

Now it's my turn to make an observation. It may be that some of you are not being trolls. But your words sure make you seem like trolls.

Consider this - BelleStudio has only made 6 posts in all on Renderosity. Every single one of them has been in a post that has something to do with examining the quality and usefulness of the new V4 figure. She seems highly disposed to dislike it. But does she present any evidence that V4 joints, morphs, or shaders are inferior to V3.

*V4 looks like a not very good mixture of V3, A3 and Gloria and she has morphs similar to The Girl´s with no name other than "Estelle" or "Francoise" or such, which is not very informative actually.
Quite a washout in my eyes. :(

Unfortunately DAZ now develops figures which are better adapted to the DAZ software than to Poser 5 and higher versions. Therefore major problems occur when using such figures and you need extra care to save your files.
Not a serious model in my eyes!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !
LOL!
I will stick to V3, A3 and Miki ;)

*This looks like troll behavior. 

Or, it is a person who desperately wants to believe that her investment in V3 is not superceded by a new character, and that her continued use of V3 will not be ridiculed.

I don't care if either, both, or neither of those assessments are true. What I do care about is there is a person flinging disparaging comments about a figure. People read these forums to learn what others have experienced with products. When someone spews such invective about a product, it seems to me highly misleading and does a disservice to the other readers who are genuinely seeking information about the product.

So all of you dissenters need to stop reacting to my supposed motivations, intentions, and needs that you have fabricated out of thin air. I have tried very hard to clearly and unambiguously state here my motivations, intentions, and needs. If you refuse to take me at my word, than that's your problem.

Gongyla posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:30 AM

I am not of English speaking origin, but the way Baggingsbill phrased his reply to the "awful joints" was perfectly clear to me. Not only did he explain the meanings of the word awful, he also placed his "smoking" reply between brackets after indicating he used it as an expression that was similar to the unclear meaning of "awful".

One does not show good manners by entering discussion with "V4 has awful joints" when this opinion is clearly based on prejudice instead of proven facts. So I am very interested in seeing how awful these joints are.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:38 AM

Oh, one other thing I really wanted to mention.

Operaguy said:

*I have an old set of 74 poses called "Digiport Classic" I tried out about 30 of them....they work! Or rather, V4 works. The images I am posting here received NO ADJUSTMENT after applying the pose. V4 even takes the James and Jessie poses that came with P5 and P6. Occasionally one needs to tweak after applying the pose. V4 takes the new "universal poses."

(Emphasis added by me)

*To which BelleStudio responded:
*@Operaguy:
Thank you for your artful renderings and your help. I never use such poses and I think I can recognize postwork when I see some. I have done enough myself. :)

(Emphasis added by me)

*So now BelleStudio accuses Operaguy of lying. In my opinion, that is absolutely disturbing and, in my opinion, justifies getting banned.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:45 AM

A little reminder - this is an excerpt from the Rendersotiy Terms of Service. I've highlighted two sections, which I think some of you need to read closely. You are not allowed to make personal attacks, even if you have been personally attacked, which I hope I have shown was not in fact the case.

Members/Users will not use this community for;

pjz99 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:47 AM

Hmm, I guess I'm not getting the Nobel Peace Prize this year.  :sad:

My Freebies

BelleStudio posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:48 AM

Quote - IBut if somebody says they are worse then V3, immediately after having been shown many times that the opposite is true, is confusing and provocative..... Consider this - BelleStudio has only made 6 posts in all on Renderosity. Every single one of them has been in a post that has something to do with examining the quality and usefulness of the new V4 figure. She seems highly disposed to dislike it. But does she present any evidence that V4 joints, morphs, or shaders are inferior to V3.

*V4 looks like a not very good mixture of V3, A3 and Gloria and she has morphs similar to The Girl´s with no name other than "Estelle" or "Francoise" or such, which is not very informative actually.
Quite a washout in my eyes. :(

Unfortunately DAZ now develops figures which are better adapted to the DAZ software than to Poser 5 and higher versions. Therefore major problems occur when using such figures and you need extra care to save your files.
Not a serious model in my eyes!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !
LOL!

*This looks like troll behavior. 

You would not look so desperatly for any possible reason to make me bad if you had not said something wrong and you did, do you? Do you think the number of my posts in a board like this tells you anything about me ? Then maybe it should tell me something about you too since this board here has an extremely bad reputation among artists. Did you know that? You are taking my other posts from their context. Who allowed you this? The other threads were made in a very different atmosphere and there were many people there who shared the same opinion as mine. So what are you trying to hide with this? You just cant bare having somebody in your thread that has another point of view. I NEVER critized your opinion, I just told mine. I just critized the way you made such rude comments against me because I have another opinion. I am in several boards and other members react just the same as I did when they get the anwer "what do you smoke?" etc. so just do not try to make something harmless that had another aim to reach: make me feel bad for not having the same point of view than you. A mature discussion is fair. Where the hell did I say that "V3 were better than V4" or "V4 worse than V3". Show me where! because I never said such thing, it was all in YOUR head. And I did not say that because it is not true. Just V4 is not worth to spend a penny more in my eyes, thats it because I think she is not smart and good enough for that. Thats all. It would have come differently if V3 and V4 had appeared at the same time. I quite frankly do not know how I would have handled then and which one I would have bought. Is this clear enough for you? 'You are a troll' I do not think you really know what you are talking about here. If you mean this fictional character of LoTR it can only be a trial to make a joke.

BelleStudio posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:51 AM

Is your answer getting me banned? :)

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 9:16 AM

BelleStudio,

Could you stop whining and just show me a picture of a V4 joint that looks worse than a V3 joint in the same pose?

operaguy posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:29 AM

Good morning all. 

I am so happy to have this great new model that all umbrage over 'j'acuse and sorrow over the wretched contremps into which this thread has fallen, pales.

V4 filles me with awe.

And again good morning to all.

Faye74 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:56 AM

Quote - BelleStudio,

Could you stop whining and just show me a picture of a V4 joint that looks worse than a V3 joint in the same pose?

Havent you got enough yet? Stop behaving like a tempered child! She said she has not critized your opinion only the way you said it.

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:33 AM

I think I've figured it out.

Faye74, darkswordlord, and BelleStudio collectively have only a few posts, all in the last two days, all in the same threads. Are they really different people? Hard to tell.

I've sent a message to the admins to stop this thread.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:51 AM

I don't necessarily think they're the same person, Bagginsbill. More like ...what's the word... sycophants?

Once again., Belle, you are the one who behaved rude here, not Bagginsbill who has beern nothing but helpful here. You haven't said anything other than derogatory things about V4 and yes, I do find it odd that you've been a member here for a year, since this place has such a bad reputation in your opinion. Oh but perhaps the ones with the right opinions are the metallic ursine and his peers?

Bell, I now quote you (which I don't need permission to do since you've posted it here for us all to see)

*Where the hell did I say that "V3 were better than V4" or "V4 worse than V3". Show me where! because I never said such thing, it was all in YOUR head. And I did not say that because it is not true.

*Semantics perhaps. Awful sure signals that you find V4 less useable/attractive than V3, and a statement as *

YOU ARE NOT ALONE !

LOL!

also looks to me like you find V3 better than V4.

And no, those quotes aren't taken out of context, unfortunately. They're all some you made in threads regarding V4, and it the second example the only thing you did say in that post.

I have no problems with you preferring V4 to V3, but to call her "awful" is uncalled for when we are discussing her setup. It is much more advanced than V3's. And I DO have problems with you attacking Bagginsbill out of the blue like this. And for bringing in all your "classmates" to back you up.

You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA

Natolii posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 12:42 PM

Belle, You either need to substantiate your opinion with facts, or stop the needless attacks. I am finding V4 much easier to work with. She is not perfect, but her joints are far better than V3 and the other models tested against. Jim Burton is the author of "The Great Poser Bending Test" and this is the second one he has conducted while in development of figure add-ons.

Baggins, As you can see there are people that will take the littlest offense to a figure of speech and turn it into an attack.

To anyone else jumping to Belle's Defense, I am sure she is an adult and appreciates your loyalty, but please adding fuel to the fire is not the way to go. She took offense to a figure of speech here in the US. I tell my boyfriend and he tells me "What are you smoking so I know what to avoid..." DO I take offense? Nope

People do need to take a step back and cool down. I've seen a lot of hostile threads due to the release of V4 that have little to no basis in reality. If you are posting a negative or even a positive opinion, Back It UP. This way when someone calls you on your opinion you are able to respond without resorting to immature taunts and attacks.

Natolii posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 12:47 PM

Quote - Oh but perhaps the ones with the right opinions are the metallic ursine and his peers?

Trekkie, The Metallic Ursine and his peers have nothing to do with this display of immaturity. If some of us are taking a hard look at V4 and some of us are liking what we are seeing. Belle and her ilk have not deigned to visit the Bar. Otherwise the Triffids wouldn't be so hungry.

Frankly, I'm reigning in the natural reaction of "point and snicker."

wolfstrack posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:10 PM

I dont understand why people react that way when you say you do not like V4. This is my first post here and I do not know Belle. I would not pretend that all people having the same opinion are all friends or mates or whatever. So if this is common language what are you all smoking? GG

westcat posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:10 PM

OK I'll ask the naughty question.  Will genitalia moph objects work with Vic 4 that are used on Vic 3?   🤤  Hey just asking  

Hope no one thinks this is aweful awful of me  :rolleyes:

Natolii posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:41 PM

::grins:: Naughty, Naughty.

The quick answer is no. The morph object are built off the V3 obj and V4 was completely rebuilt. You might have luck with the G4 prop but that will require scaling.

Quote - OK I'll ask the naughty question.  Will genitalia moph objects work with Vic 4 that are used on Vic 3?   🤤  Hey just asking  

Hope no one thinks this is aweful awful of me  :rolleyes:

Ironbear posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:44 PM

Quote - By the way these guys must be living in the Thunderdome where discussions are made that way: made some rude comments then hit the opponent down :-) In our civilized cities we do it the civilized way :-)

If you folks are "civilized", I'm glad I'm one of those Thunderdome Barbarians. You seem to be operating under a misapprehension: The Peaceful Nomads of the Thunderdome wish only to extend their hand in Friendship and Amity to all, and to counter the propaganda of the Mhendacious running dog imperialists and their poserite lackeys. Thunderdome really does not want to take over The Communities. We only wish peaceful co-existence with the Communities of the Poser. We really are peaceful pastoral nomads, and we are only looking for a little art and culture. We're really sorry that we broke some stuff, and we strenously deny the allegations of plunder. Someone else started the fire, the damage to the CuriousLabs was inadvertent, and it was not our yak, but someone else's yak entirely... Ok, so maybe it was our yak, afterall. I'm not tellin'. Burn Last! ;) Whatever ya'll are smokin', quit bogarting. I do hope you brought enough to share with the rest of the class, huh?

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

Ironbear posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:50 PM

Quote - the metallic ursine and his peers?

You gotta watch Names, T'grrl. Say it three times and you might conjure something. ;) Oh... wait... was I supposed to wait for three? (o0) digs out tattered copy of Demon Rulebook and pages through riffle riffle... yup. Damn. Err... oopsie? g

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:59 PM

Chuckle

Wow, I feel better - for a while there I thought I was being "gaslighted". And no, I'm not going explain what that means, but I hope it suffices to point out that it's not an insult.

westcat posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:33 PM

hmmmm I'll ask the other question, is a Michael M4 far behind?

Quote -    ::grins::    Naughty, Naughty.

The quick answer is no. The morph object are built off the V3 obj and V4 was completely rebuilt. You might have luck with the G4 prop but that will require scaling.

KarenJ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:41 PM

Guys,

I don't want to lock what should be an informative thread. Please stick to discussing the issues and models, not each others' communication styles. I'm sure we can disagree with each other and have spirited debates without the forums catching fire, can't we?

Thanks 👍

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

kimber89 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:44 PM

Quote - > Quote - Ummm, not sure what you mean here......I'm not HoneyBelle (?).

I meant BelleStudio of course. And no, I am not new here. I just avoid the board most of the time. Now I know why :-)

Ohhhh OK! Thought I must've said something wrong when you used my quotes. :)))
You made me laugh today!

Peshkwe posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:53 PM

It's Trekkie's fault.

She summoned, got, and now he's dropping hellfire and embers all over the forums.

Not to mention the stray yaks smokin them joints.

Natolii posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 3:16 PM

Oh, Those yaks...

And here I thought he was talking about something ... yanno... Gross.

::evil grin::

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 3:30 PM

Quote -
Trekkie, The Metallic Ursine and his peers have nothing to do with this display of immaturity.

Heh I was afraid it would go unnoticed. It was mostly the comment of Rosity's "bad name" that made me think of it. Nothing personal, as I hope both you and IB knows. :o)

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 3:36 PM

Gah! Missed the fact that there was a new page here before I replied. IB, you mean I can conjure you up by saying the name thrice?

Mmmm gotta try that some day...

Must it be a full moon, too? =o)

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing,--
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble."

Peshkwe posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 3:41 PM

*peers in the pot...takes a sniff

Smells like yak

Both kinds.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:00 PM

Peers or pees? :lol:

Peshkwe posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:22 PM

Quote - Peers or pees? :lol:

Get close enough to the yaks and it'll be both.

Ironbear posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:39 PM

Might try it, Trekkie. What... you looking for a mettalic ursine for Christmas? ;]

Quote - Nothing personal, as I hope both you and IB knows. :o)

Ratz. It's just not fun if I can't take it... personal. sigh

Ironbear posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:49 PM

Quote - I don't want to lock what should be an informative thread. Please stick to discussing the issues and models, not each others' communication styles.

Ok, coolness. I don't have Vicki 4, so I'm probably more qualified than anyone here to say that she's both The Greatest Advance In Poser Model History, and She Blows Chunks. [Pay up, Dan. Celebrity Endorsements aren't cheap, yanno. I threw in the "Blows chunks" as a freebie.] Speaking as the only one here with style, what's wrong with discussing communications? ;] And, as applies to most poserdom issues, this one started silly and hit complete absurdity in about 8 posts - verging on a New Renderosity Record. Happy now, Karen? I fulfilled the Obligatory Anti-Thread Drift Nailing Requirements. JUST for you. ;) Merry Christmas. > Quote - I'm sure we can disagree with each other and have spirited debates without the forums catching fire, can't we?

No. Come Peshkwe - Our Job Here is Done. Hiyo Pewter - Away! rides off snickering in all directions at once

bagginsbill posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:54 PM

LOL!

Peshkwe posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:44 PM

Eh???

Ay!! AY!!!! Get back here with that yak!!

Bloody weird T'salagi...were'd ya find a pewter yak anyways....

trudges back to the bar

KarenJ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:51 PM

Quote - Happy now, Karen? I fulfilled the Obligatory Anti-Thread Drift Nailing Requirements. JUST for you. ;) Merry Christmas.

I'm delirious with joy, old bean :laugh:

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:15 PM

Back to the original post in this thread --

That image is a great way to sell more copies of V4.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

darkswordlord posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 9:19 PM

No its going to be DarkMoon! Grin!

BrightArro posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 9:34 PM

V4 is such an interesting topic, a neverending story! We could develop some male and female hobbit morphs despite the base figure. That would be a great fun, dont you think?

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:02 PM

If you like hobbits - then morph away.  Start the thread.

Spiritbro77 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:25 PM

God this community has gotten soft if this is what passes as a flame war. I really miss the good old/bad old days.

Finister posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:57 PM

First impression?

A Victoria's Secret dream body with a P4 Posette blank stare face

But that's just my first impression.

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:59 PM

They don't have flame wars as we know them over at places like CGTalk.  The moderating is far stricter than it is here.  Start flamewars there -- get kicked off the board.  I don't know if I'd call a policy like that "soft".  It sounds pretty hard-nosed to me.

About like the sitting judge when I was summoned for jury duty a couple of weeks ago.  He let us know up front that "he could lock us up" if we did anything untoward in his courtroom.

So one guy sat in his chair with a newspaper held up in front of his face -- a bailiff walked over and made him put the paper down......another guy's cell phone rang in the courtroom.  The phone was confiscated from him -- and he probably wasn't going to be getting it back.  Or so the court spokesman had expressly warned us in advance.  "Turn your cell phones off.  They are really serious about this in there."

So, yeah......some forums are run about like that courtroom.  At least the hardcore, top-end professional ones tend to be.

BrightArro posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:09 PM

So this hobbit morph is going to be a good start ;-) The same procedure? :-) DAZ is SO generous for people supporting V4 they will certainly help us with the morphs.

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:13 PM

Try it out -- ask the good folks at DAZ for help along those lines.

In my experience, the DAZ people are very helpful.

darkswordlord posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:17 PM

The same procedure BA, as always ;)

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:23 PM

Quote - The same procedure BA, as always ;)

Yep -- the same one. :biggrin:

XENOPHONZ posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 11:24 PM

As they say: Practice makes perfect.

Fazzel posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:11 AM

> Quote - First impression? > > A Victoria's Secret dream body with a P4 Posette blank stare face > > But that's just my first impression.

Huh?  What do you mean "blank stare"?  I come with
dozens of expression morphs.  People just need to use
them on me.

Signed Nikki,  aka Victoria 4.0

XENOPHONZ posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:28 AM

Good job, Fazzel.

As this thread indicates, we seem to have a small crop of people who've been inspired to start posting in the forums by the release of V4 to the Poser market.  So that fact alone tells us that V4 is already a purebred winner -- because she's demonstrated herself to be a great motivator.....an icon for the ages........and therefore: an absolutely irresistible magnet for iconoclasts.  Thus: her total, triumphant success and domination of the Poser market is 100% guaranteed.

whew  I was concerned there for a bit.  But all of this frenetic activity has set my troubled mind completely at ease.

It's a wonder.  Out just a few days, and already she's a legend.

Fazzel posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:05 AM

Quote - Good job, Fazzel.

As this thread indicates, we seem to have a small crop of people who've been inspired to start posting in the forums by the release of V4 to the Poser market.  So that fact alone tells us that V4 is already a purebred winner -- because she's demonstrated herself to be a great motivator.....an icon for the ages........and therefore: an absolutely irresistible magnet for iconoclasts.  Thus: her total, triumphant success and domination of the Poser market is 100% guaranteed.

whew  I was concerned there for a bit.  But all of this frenetic activity has set my troubled mind completely at ease.

It's a wonder.  Out just a few days, and already she's a legend.

I've been puttering around with her for about a week now.  The first thing DAZ
did was give her a decent skin texture and added shaders.  Which goes a
long way toward making the character more realistic.  And I have noticed
a definite improvement in the joints.  On the negative they seem to have
scrimped on the head and body morphs.  V3 came with a lot wider selection.
And of course you can't use the V3 morphs on V4, at least I haven't seen
a way yet. Plus for some odd reason they put both the breasts on the chest
section instead each on a collar section, which means I can't pose and
shape the breast separately. 

operaguy posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:19 AM

I am definitely impressed by the included hi-res texture. And the shader is good. I opened it in my graphic software and adjusted the reds down, to get pale skin for a certain purpose. I also washed out the auburn eyebrows, and now use a sub-map on node to produce eyebrows (netherworks). I have been working strictly on faces so far.

I am not participating consciously in any legend making or company wars. Just happy to have a fine new model.

pjz99 posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:56 AM

Yeah I think the DAZ high rez mats are have the most character of any available at this point.  The DAZ-hosted Laura texture is pretty good too, although I don't understand why the head/neck is so much lighter than the body.

JoJo mats at Poserpros are also very good, but I have to weed out that yellow tint on the eyes and teeth, it's a bit too much for me.  Skin's great though!

My Freebies

operaguy posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 6:53 AM

Over the last two days, I have attempted to take V4 to Asia. 

The tools are there, in the morphs. 

This is just a work in progress. I am blocked by the utterly ridiculous DAZ limits on the morphs. Petuy! I spit on them. There is a thread already started for a work-around. Once I have time to figure it out, I will be able to make the eyes even better.

This is not a glamour image, but rather a 'stark light' revelation of a face. Please forgive the no-hair. I can't find hair worthy yet.

operaguy posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 6:53 AM

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER, CLEARER FILE

operaguy posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 6:57 AM

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER, CLEARER FILE