Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: P7 Bug List - Feel Free to add to this.

Mason opened this issue on Dec 19, 2006 · 123 posts

Mason posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:25 PM

I figure it would be nice to have a running thread of P7 bugs so feel free to add to this thread for bugs.

1. Bug with new hierarchy box. Open it, then drag the corner. Now when you click on items it causes the box to shift quickly then snap back. It fixes itself the next time you run P7.

2. Material room shows the wrong thumbs and the wrong result in the result thumb window. This occured with materials in which the UV mapping was changed to non-tile and coordinates were not 1,1.

3. Setting threads does not take effect immediatly and you must exit and reenter for the effect to take place.

Mason posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 5:36 PM

1. Cranking render options all the way to final results in lines in render. Will post a better pic if I get a chance.

infinity10 posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:49 PM

The slow updates are a Python artifact. 

Eternal Hobbyist

zollster posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:45 PM

1. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works
    6.if you render then go back to preview mode and poser cant load a texture, if you try to render again it wont (it gives an error msg, then wont cancel the render)

Mason posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:06 PM

1. They STILL never fixed preview mode going to full mode when exiting the material room.
  2. Maybe others have seen this but I have not seen any error reporting when rendering in a seperate thread. All I get is a blank render.

skee posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:03 PM

1. the name of the figure does not change when you change figures, it will remain the name of the first figure used.
  2. the pause button on the animation tool will not pause, it just goes back to the beginning.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Dimension3D posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:20 AM

About 8, I addressed this to E-Frontier. Be sure you give access to the (local) net, maybe check your firewall settings. This worked for me, however I still don't know why rendering in a separate process always accesses the network. E-Frontier says it's to check no other copy of Poser is running in the network with the same registration number, but I don't see what this has to do with rendering in a separate process.

1. Remove poses for binary morphs only work for compressed poses, but not for uncompressed poses.

2. Several user interface elements ignore the swap mouse button setting.

Dimension 3D - Poser Tools, Poser Props and Morphs, Cinema 4D Plugins, and more

Renderosity Store / D3D Web Site

Kalypso posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 3:39 AM Site Admin

1. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

operaguy posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:08 AM

confirming animation pause going back to start and delete key sporadically not deleting, very anoying

14  spordadic confusion of y-scale and y-axis when custom fitting skulcaps, various vendors.

stewer posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:45 AM

Quote - About 8, I addressed this to E-Frontier. Be sure you give access to the (local) net, maybe check your firewall settings. This worked for me, however I still don't know why rendering in a separate process always accesses the network. E-Frontier says it's to check no other copy of Poser is running in the network with the same registration number, but I don't see what this has to do with rendering in a separate process.

Read those ReadMe files, people. It's clearly explained in the Poser 7 readme: > Quote - New in version 7 is the option to render in a separate process. In order to communicate with the render process, Poser uses sockets. Some personal firewall software mistakenly reports this as an attempted connection to the internet. If you wish to render in a separate process, you will have to allow network communication on localhost (127.0.0.1) in your personal firewall software for Poser.exe and FFRender.exe.

Guida posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 8:09 AM

Dunno if it's a bug but.. (P6 allows this for me)

1. I can't change the preview window size for a size larger than my screen resolution (1280x1024), you may think it's useless and yea you can render at higher sizes, but a bigger size on preview gives me a better perception of the image,  P6 allows this.

2. When the file name has dots in it (e.g. Sydney.2.pz3) the preview window title will only show Sydney, not Sydney.2... a bit confusing if you have several files with numbers like that :)

rofocale posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 8:21 AM

I´m glad they don´t sell cars...

Maz posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 11:25 AM

1. Recent File History permanently loses ftrack of files if theyare on en external drive that's not powered up at the time that Poser.exe was fired up.

2. Opening or importing a Poser 3 figure makes Poser completely disappear without an error message or a 'by your leave'.

Mason posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 12:51 PM

"5. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works"

Yes definitly is broken. I found you click on an object, hit delete and nothing happens then you have to re click on the object for delete to happen. Sadly you can theoretically click on another object and that will get deleted instead.

Natolii posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:05 PM

Quote - "5. delete button not always working..you have to mess around clickin stuff in your scene til it works"

Yes definitly is broken. I found you click on an object, hit delete and nothing happens then you have to re click on the object for delete to happen. Sadly you can theoretically click on another object and that will get deleted instead.

Figure Pull-down > Delete is the current work around until the keyboard shortcut is fixed.

ThrommArcadia posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 1:24 PM

1. When rendering with a background image your alpha channel is solid.  Big Problem for those who use this in postwork.

DCArt posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:12 PM

1. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

Select V4 (or your figure) and lock the figure. That should help.

ArdathkSheyna posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:28 PM

1. FFRender.exe crashes when using 3D motion blur (dual-core system; seperate processes selected). No problems at all using 2D motion blur in preview mode. At first, I thought it had something to do with how I had open_shutter and close_shutter set but they were on their default settings.

Also noticed bugs #5 (delete button) and #13 (morphing tool) but didn't pay too much attention to them since I kinda sorta had workarounds for them.

Spanki posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:40 PM

Quote - 19. When rendering with a background image your alpha channel is solid.  Big Problem for those who use this in postwork.

I just came here to post about that - this sucks bigtime.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Kalypso posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:51 PM Site Admin

Thanks Deecey :)  You know I thought of that and said "Naaah, can't be that easy!" lol - now I'm off to try it!

Thanks again :)

stewer posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 2:59 PM

Quote - 13. The new morph tool:  When trying to adjust pokethrough and pull out the clothing, although the skirt was selected from the drop down each time I clicked Poser selected the V4 character instead.  I gave up and used magnets.

Hold the shift key. It's my favorite keyboard shortcut :)

nruddock posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 3:52 PM

A few oddities with saved lights and light sets.

Saved lights are embedding the preview geometry in the PZ3 / LT2 rather than referring to a geometry resource or OBJ file.
There is a second copy of the preview geometry in each lights channel section.

When saving  a single light (using the subset option), all the shadow cams are in the LT2 not just the one for the light chosen.

JHoagland posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 9:55 PM

Are we sure the Delete key doesn't work?
Keep in mind that Poser 7 stores every action in its "undo" buffer. If the object is large enough, it will seem like Poser is "hanging" as it tries to remove the object.

Has anyone actually done any kind of testing to see what effect this buffer has on Poser's speed? Will Poser start to slow down significantly if you've deleted multiple V4 figures (for example) while working on your scene?

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Giolon posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 10:00 PM

The delete key indeed does not work at all times.  From my testing, it seems that the Delete key works on Figures, but not on Objects like Props.  Accessing the appropriate delete menu command (Figure->Delete Figure and Object->Delete Object) work fine.

i'll add another bug:

Dynamic Cloth simulations only work on the first group created.  I tested this with V4 and V4 Summer Fashion.  Whether I put the skirt or the top into a 2nd cloth simulation group, the second simulation would not work properly and the object in question would just fall through V4.  Putting all dynamic cloth objects into the same (first) simulation group "solved" the problem.

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

ThrommArcadia posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 1:07 AM

I'll add that I've had problems with the delete key.  Tried to delete some hair, but it wouldn't go.  Suddenly V4 was gone (I might have clicked her during my mad delete attempts), hair was still there.  Clicked hair (now the only thing left in my scene) still it would not delete.

Spanki posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:02 AM

I've had similar problems with the delete key - it seems like it might be a window focus issue or something.

In addition, the new Morph Tool just flat out does not work consistantly (on my system, at least).  I still hadn't tracked it down, but it appears to be related to how close you have zoomed in to the model.  The result is, the tool highlighting just doesn't show up and the tool doesn't do anything when you click and drag.  It sometimes picks other objects (like the Ground), so I've tried hiding everything, but it still won't work in a lot of cases.

When this is happening, the cursor seems to flicker beteween the arrow and the cross-hair as I move it across the edit window.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Netherworks posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:22 AM

Quote - 11. Remove poses for binary morphs only work for compressed poses, but not for uncompressed poses.

I was wondering why is was working in some and not in others.  Good sleuthing! :)

Netherworks posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:31 AM

Yes, the delete key is sporadically not working for me.  It's not waiting for undo as it happens on very simple objects.

I just wind up using my quick delete script, but it's a workflow thing - I'm used to just pressing the button.

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:21 AM

I can't get the alpha channel issue to appear on my system. Both PNG's and TIFF's have their alpha channels like always. No problem as far as I can tell.

I have a weird non-delete issue yesterday. The Tuxedo jacket for Simon. I couldn't delete it. The "Delete Object" was greyed out" and the delete key didn't work (and yes, I was SURE I'd selected the right thing)

I had to eventually scale it to 0% to get rid of it.

*7. They STILL never fixed preview mode going to full mode when exiting the material room.

*I'm not sure what that means? Can you explain?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Spanki posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:50 AM

Trekkie,

TrekkieGrrrl posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:30 AM

Ah yes, rendering over a background PICTURE - but this is the first time someone mentioned THAT bit. All that was said so far was that you had to render over black, which is not the case.

I tried, and you're right. If there's a picture in the BGPicture node, the alpha channel doesn't work.

Sooooo I have made some experiments and noticed a weird thing:

If I plug the picture into the normally grey background colour node instead of using the Background Picture AND I use the Wacro Delete detached nodes, it works. AS LONG AS I DON'T LEAVE THE MATERIAL ROOM. As soon as I leave the material room, the nodes are rewired to use the Background Picture, and in that case: No Alpha.

So if I render the pic while still in the Material Room I CAN get a png with transparent background even when using a background picture AND if I save it as a TIFF I get a picture that contains an alpha channel.

So there is a workaround but it's clunky and I agree it's a bug.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

operaguy posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:34 AM

Thanks for the work-around Trekkie, and this should be easy for them to fix for a service release as it has been okay in the past.

Can you render an animation from the material room? You certainly can trigger it, but I wonder if the files rendered out to the folder of the image sequence will respect the alpha channel or not.

::::: Opera :::::

mickmca posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 9:32 AM

1. OpenGL still prefers that your figures look like narrators from Tales of the Crypt, with bulging eyes and teeth. Very distracting; turned Sydney into something that gave me nightmares.

2. If you choose to install legacy content during your initial setup, you get the pre-P7 stuff instead of the P7 stuff, rather than in addition to it. Cost me a half hour of WTF digging before I decided that was the reason I couldn't find Sydney (Simon Casual installs anyway, which is a bit of a red herring).

And Spanki's problem with the Morph Tool reminds me of the Grouping Tool problem (P6) that could be resolved by zeroing the Hither settings on the Camera. Zooming too close for the Hither setting made it impossible to select polys, even though you could see them. Connection?

M

bluecity posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 9:33 AM

I've been having problems when Poser 7 is first started, clicking anywhere on the menu gives me the "Build Folder Menu" prompt first, but when you select it, nothing happens......Poser 6 did this to - I guess because my main Runtime is a bloated mess of 20 GB, but it would ask for a confirmation then do it. In P7 it does nothing and is essentially unusable. I've found that if I exit the program, then restart it, it's fine, but it's pretty annoying to have to run the program twice. Has anyone else had this problem?

tastiger posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 12:29 PM

I'll add my material room "bug" to the list where it opens the window with the scroll bar right at the bottom so you have to scroll wayyyyyy up to see the nodes.

Although others have reported this since Poser 5 - this is the first version I have the issue with.

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Netherworks posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 12:42 PM

#21 - Have never noticed this.  I'm on an nvidia 6800.

tastiger, have never gotten that bug either.  Are you able to set up the material room the way you want it and then save as your preferred state?

blbarrett posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 1:55 PM

not really bugs, but certainly a problem: 1. Point lights do not retain their scaled size after saving a scene file, and are difficult to move with the move tool ( they move but very slowly) Using the Trans Dials works a bit better but is a cumbersome process. 2. Mouse movement is confined to the display, rather than continuing as you click and drag... this ties into 1. Some of what I've read in this thread I've experienced too, but other things have not been an issue on my system...... Weird! I hope these two things have not already been mentioned :)

tastiger posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:03 PM

Quote -

tastiger, have never gotten that bug either.  Are you able to set up the material room the way you want it and then save as your preferred state?

No - doesn't seem to matter what the preferred state is - it only seems to happen if yo start changing nodes or adding things - I wrote about it here ......

www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Netherworks posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:15 PM

Quote - not really bugs, but certainly a problem: 1. Point lights do not retain their scaled size after saving a scene file, and are difficult to move with the move tool ( they move but very slowly) Using the Trans Dials works a bit better but is a cumbersome process. 2. Mouse movement is confined to the display, rather than continuing as you click and drag... this ties into 1. Some of what I've read in this thread I've experienced too, but other things have not been an issue on my system...... Weird! I hope these two things have not already been mentioned :)

True that.  I wonder if some issues are akin to openGL implementation, which could be graphics card/drivers related.  Surely, the "bug eyes" one is.  An older card especially one without openGL 2.0 design is going to cause problems and I expect that older Radeons are certainly going to.

Good, bad or ugly, I stick with nvidia after several bad experiences with early ATI cards.

Kalypso posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:31 PM Site Admin

bluecity I've had the same problem with Build Folder Menus.  But mine is even worse, because I have my very bloated P4 runtime linked (I never bothered to tidy that up with P5, P6 and now P7!) when I get the build folder menus option and select it, Poser crashes.  It works ok if I select each one of the libraries and open them, although it takes time.   I've already reported this over at the content paradise forums but you're the only other person I've seen mention it.  

Oh and it is a P7 bug because P6 has no problem with those huge directories.

Guida posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:33 PM

As for the "bug eyes" raising the hither dial on the active camera worked for me in P6, in P7 i didn't have to do it yet, granted i didn't explore everything (too busy learning how to do decent HDRI lighting with it)

sakelsey posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:43 PM

When using the Walk Designer, the hip doesn't hold any of the morphs I'm using.  Therefore, the hip looks "normal" when the rest of the figure is slimmer, fatter, etc.

Also, moving any of the dials, morph or not, that pertain to the hip have no effect at all.

Also, the Joint Editor will not zero the figure. There is no way I can adjust any of the positions of anybody part  (scale works - bend, twist, etc, do not) (please remember, nothing works on the hip at all). In other words, once I use the Walk Designer, I have to reload the figure if I want to change anything at all.

I can't believe this would be a system-wide bug.  It probably has to do with something in my figure.  I'm using V3 (both regular and SR2). All of these symptoms occur using the un-altered SR2 (right out of the box). Removing the IK has no effect.

Spanki posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 4:31 PM

Quote - ...And Spanki's problem with the Morph Tool reminds me of the Grouping Tool problem (P6) that could be resolved by zeroing the Hither settings on the Camera. Zooming too close for the Hither setting made it impossible to select polys, even though you could see them. Connection?

M

Thanks!  That was indeed the problem and work-around.

Digitell posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 4:32 PM

Render Dimensions:
When I set the Resolution to render the image at 300 dpi the image saves as 72 Dpi. I contacted e-frontier tech support on this issue and they were not aware of it yet. Here is what they wrote to me:

<em>Hi,<br></br><br></br>Wow. This is a problem. We knew about the Jpeg issue but I've just <br></br>tested on both PSD and PNG, only to find that the problem persists. It's a <br></br>bug for sure. I'll have to let the engineers know. Thanks for bringing <br></br>this to our attention. To compensate for the lack of being able to set <br></br>DPI, you can multiply the resolution by the dpi you wanted it to be to <br></br>get an idea of how high you need to set the render dimensions to get an <br></br>image of equal size. Note that though the output in that case would be <br></br>72 dpi, you'll be able to print it and get quality similar to that of <br></br>the dpi you originally wanted it to be. It's a cheap work-around but <br></br>it's all I have until we get a service release out the door.<br></br><br></br>Sincerely,<br></br>Teyon Alexander<br></br>e frontier Technical Support<br></br><br></br><br></br></em>So glad they now know about it!

Darboshanski posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 5:24 PM

I think ol EF is going to be pretty aware of a lot of things..LOL! For me I noticed that if I'm using, let's say the main camera and I have it positioned the way I want, then got to another camera, then go back to the main camera the position of the camera is way off the mark and not even close to where I had it set. I don't know, it maybe something I'm doing too. But I can't remember having this problem in P6.

My Facebook Page

Maz posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 5:58 PM

1. Inability to change colours (sometimes) with imported figures/props

A figure created in P6 performs well when opened in P7. However, the same figure if imported into Poser 7 doesn't. I now have a scene with a figure with two black shoes and an identical figure imported into the same scene having one black shoe and one purple shoe. Worst of all, Poser 7 won't let me change these colours. The problem only seems to occur (so far) with props .

sturkwurk posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:11 PM

Quote - Ah yes, rendering over a background PICTURE - but this is the first time someone mentioned THAT bit. All that was said so far was that you had to render over black, which is not the case.

I think you may have just overlooked THAT bit.  I did indeed mention that the problem I had was when I had a background image applied.  ;o)  

Glad to see this workaround!!! Thanks!!!
Douig

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

Morgano posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:13 PM

*Guida:  "15. I can't change the preview window size for a size larger than my screen resolution (1280x1024), you may think it's useless and yea you can render at higher sizes, but a bigger size on preview gives me a better perception of the image,  P6 allows this."

*Were you using SR3 on Poser 6?   I seem to remember reading that one of the Poser 6 upgrades introduced this restriction.

This is not the same as the problem digitell reported, which e-frontier has acknowledged (with fairly red faces, I trust).

Digitell posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 6:45 PM

With the last email they sent me I can confirm that they have red faces.

hirumono posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:20 AM

I'd like to add my own sad experience with the Cloth Room. I opened in P7 a mildly complex scene (Miki, hair, 2 dynamic clothes, one land prop, a particle system) I had built with P6 and used without a glitch. I used draping only for dynamic clothes - no animation at all.
As soon as I clicked on the draping button, I noticed Miki's hair stretching and moving away, leaving her completely bald. (The cloth draped, but differently than in P6 - it almost seemed like it was made of a completely different fabric. Maybe different internal units, like what happened in P6 with material room.)
I tried again and again, and this time it was Miki's head which got horribly warped. I saved the scene with another name and reloaded, and everything was OK. But, obviously, I still had to drape, as drape data can't be saved... 
At the end I gave up and tried to reopen my scene in P6, which locked up. I had to recreate it from a past save. 
So:

1. Change of dynamic clothing behaviour (ok, it's not quite a bug, but couldn't they reference it in the manual??);
  2. Random distortion of figures while draping dynamic models.

ThrommArcadia posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:48 AM

I had the hair fly away problem in P6, I haven't experienced it yet in P7.  Hmmm.

mickmca posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 4:36 AM

25 There is still a weird problem with selecting lights. If you have a light selected and click on something else (high likelihood if you choose another light) that light will ping into a new position. Undo fixes it, and I expect I'll be using the multiple undo to fix the ones I didn't notice till too late. The light usually jumps as much as 30-45 degrees. It sure makes using the globe to position lights a load of fun.

skee posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 10:28 AM

1. Yes the hair still flys away in P7. If you use hair from P4, or P6 runtime and add it to any figure and repose that figure the hair will fly away. Even if it is parented to head.

skee.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mason posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 10:33 AM

Quote - 26. Yes the hair still flys away in P7. If you use hair from P4, or P6 runtime and add it to any figure and repose that figure the hair will fly away. Even if it is parented to head.

skee.

Sometimes that's caused by a pose that has hair positioning data in it. I don't think this is a poser bug but just unwanted pose data in a pose file.

mickmca posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 3:39 PM

1. While the Select option is a welcome solution to the problem with click selecting (position the cursor over an object stack and right click for a nice surprise), there is something haywire in the click selector generally. I routinely get sudden attacks of "No Actor" "No Object" at the top of the doc window. Once it happens, I can't click on anything to get going again. I have to pull down the Actor menu and select one, even there's only one to select.
  2. Sydney's Point At for the eyeballs is totally hosed. I tried pointing at the camera, and one eye crosses (it's random which one, as near as I can tell), even if the camera is 60 feet away. I tried pointing at a ball. Same effect. I tried having Judy and Kate 2 "look" at the camera and the ball. No problem. I looked in the Joint Editor to compare the eyes and everything looks kosher -- the only differences are what you'd expect for bilateral symmetry. Maybe in Setup.
  3. In complex scenes, it's routine for the Camera to suddenly decide its own parameters. The one where I caught it, it had dollied out a few hundred feet and set its focal length to 955 so I wouldn't notice. Neither of which I asked for. I come back from a render and my scene is suddenly 50% or so closer (in other words, the time I spent framing it is history). While I'm working with a Hand camera, the focal length changes and the distance changes, and suddenly I'm apparently the same distance away, except I have a fisheye view.
  4. I was afraid eF had bought out Blacksmith a few weeks after I purchased it, when I read about the Morph Shaper. No, they've just engineered a truly unworkable imitation. I spent a half hour trying to make the tool, the instructions, and the Fisher Price fold on a sitting Miki resolve into something, anything, that made any sense. I don't think the Blacksmith3D folks have anything to worry about. Buy B3D and enjoy.
  5. When I go to the Material Room, a 1/5 screen artifact blocks my view of the palette until I click on the palette.
  6. If I go to the Face room with a figure selected but NOT the head, using the Face Camera, then I get told I'm using a non-supported figure (Sydney in this case) and when I go back to the Pose room, the "Face" camera is staring at her feet from ground level.
  7. Chaotic lack of synchonization between red outline, doc window object selection, and parameters palette object selection. For example, I just clicked on Kate 2's neck. I have no red outline, the doc window says I selected her neck, and the parameters palette says I selected her right shoulder. And there's no telling which is correct. I click again, in the Face Camera, on her NECK, and I select the GROUND, which isn't even visible in the viewport, much less in clicking range.
  8. Apply Kate [stranded] hair to her head in the Hair room. Click on the Hair length dial without moving it (or the hair length field without changing it), and the guide hair springs up as if electrified. The only way to get it back where it was is to Undo. The same thing happens if you click any Growth Control, but not if you click any Dynamics Controls. I emphasize, this happens without you actually "changing" anything except the focus, and it can't be fixed, only undone. I'm running a render to determine if the actual hair render is hosed. If you are happy with the new P7 rendering speed, stay away from the Hair room and keep your joy.
  9. Kate Casual is actually a conglomerate of a half-dozen figures, such as Kate Left Shoe. If you run a render of her face (neck, head, and hair, to find out if the electric hair is really sticking straight up), P7 loads the texture for her shoes ... and is nice enough to let me know it's busy doing that. In case you wondered why Poser renders are glacially eternal. Truth be said, P7 is lightning compared to P<7, but if it didn't load shoe textures to do face pictures, maybe it could actually compete with other programs.
    That's enough for now. I'm getting depressed.
    M

PS: Finally the render is complete. Based on the messages while building the render, it's obvious that it built everything in the scene, visible or not. And the answer is yes, Kate's 'do is totally hosed. Without changing anything; just for touching a Guide Control. Sheesh. I guess nobody noticed that before they went gold....

Oh my heck. Is "sheesh" a bad word? I mean, you KNOW what it stands for!

mickmca posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 3:58 PM

1. Parenting is randomly hosed. I ran into a bunch of problems while arming some ladies yesterday. Here's the latest: Load Kate 2 P7 Conforming hair. It "pops" as if going where it belongs. Now for some such hair (Syd's, for example) the next step is to Conform to the person. You can't do that for Kate 2. The apparently same kind of hair is not a figure but a prop. Except that you can't parent it to the head either. So as soon as Kate moves, the hair is no longer in position.
  2. And a notable bug, in the sense of brain-dead feature, remains. You still must delete stranded hair one group at a time. If there's another way, I've never found it. The intuitive thing is to delete the skullcap-- er follicle set. But that definitely is a mistake. I know! How about saving everything in the scene except the hair, and then opening a new scene and then.... Sigh
    M

DarthJ posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 7:08 PM

Noticed problem #5 too : "delete" not working. Instead the library window moves up one level, for example from "characters" to "libraries".
A nag rather than a bug is the fact that unlike P6, P7 doesn't remember your image saving settings :
- the format, always returns to png.

A final nag is the recurring pop-up window (on which you have to click) regarding the lights when applying SSS in the material room : you can't change anything, so why the need for a message. If I'm not mistaken this nag appeared with the last service release of P6.

I hope someone from E-Frontier is going to read all this but I rather think that if they see this they will go " Wow, 2 pages (until now), let's keep that for Poser 8 ! "

Darboshanski posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 11:24 AM

"and when I go back to the Pose room, the "Face" camera is staring at her feet from ground level." I too have had this problem and not just from going from the face room. It also happens when going from the Materials and cloth rooms.

Random crashes to desktop also, but I think that one has already been mentioned.

My Facebook Page

bushi posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 12:32 PM

1. On OS X, the preferences will not save properly. Some, like the main posing window placement and size, will work correctly. The lights and camera panels return to their default positions on startup. I normally hide the editing tools, view tools and the dots but these also return to their default positions and visibility on startup. This works correctly in P6 but not in P7. Other then this problem, I really like this new version of Poser. Being able to multi-thread the rendering process is a real improvement. For most renders, it has cut the render time in half. But if there are any lights using ambient occlusion there is only about a 20% reduction in the render time.

blbarrett posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 5:33 PM

1. When importing an .obj file.... the model loads, but several verticies jet off into the distance like  drawn perspective lines. As you move the camera the verticies move too. I even tried exporting a figure and some props out as an .obj file then reimporting the new .obj back into P7 - I got the same problem.

To check that the .obj was not corrupt I opened in UV Mapper and 3ds max.... it was perfect. I saved the .obj while it was in UV mapper and imported it back into P7 and it opened without the above mentioned problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Spanki posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 5:36 PM

I hadn't seen that with meshes I've imported so far.  I suspect it was some problem specific to that mesh.  What app originally exported it (if you know)?

Spanki posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 6:25 PM

...off the top of my head (from previous testing), Poser does not support line-continuation in .obj files.  This would show up in the file as a single backslash at the end of a line, meaning that there is more information about this record on the next line of the file.  These are normally only found on facet records, so it doesn't sounds like that is the problem (unless there happens to be one up in the vertex records).

Another issue could be negative values for vertex indices... if there are negative values in the facet section, this indicates a 'relative' index (count backwards, from current position), instead of an absolute index (count forwards, from start of list).  Poser 6 handled these fine, but it's possible that that broke in P7.

There could be some other 'non-standard' or uncommon formatting in the file that's causing P7 to choke on it.  UVMapper is pretty good about reading most .obj files, and it doesn't do anything wierd on export, so that's fixing whatever the issue is.

blbarrett posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 11:03 PM

I just imported the mesh that caused this problem yesterday - opened fine, no problems.
Seems there's a new issue with every new scene :) lol

For instance, today checking the "depth of field" option crashed firefly 5 times in a row, but by unchecking it the render completed without issue....not sure this is a bug.... just another irritation. I'm gonna restart and try the same scene again to see what happens :)

thanks for the reply Spanki

sakelsey posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 12:58 PM

I just got a reply from techsupport@e-frontier regarding my problems with the Walk Designer. In summary, the response was that Poser7 doesn't support third party figures, like Victoria3, in the Walk Designer at this time.

blbarrett posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 4:14 PM

I tried the depth of field on the same scene after a fresh boot - FFrender.exe crashed again, no out of memory message, just the "were sorry for the inconvenience, but FFrender.exe must shut down" message. Poser 7 remains open and useable.  That got me thinking, so I opened a fresh scene and only loaded a portion of the set I used before - set up my camera and it rendered without a problem, complete with the depth of field effect.

"Life is like Poser 7, You never know what you're gonna get" 

:)lol

pruiz posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 8:48 PM

I cannot complete a render without the application (P7) going into a hang and then white screen hang - only way out is to cnrtl-alt-delete end task. P6 used to give a 'not responding' message but if you waited it would complete a render. P7 no way just completes the progress line and the render and then just hangs - what am I doing wrong?

gtrdon posted Wed, 27 December 2006 at 11:51 PM

Everytime I save a camera setting and call it back up from the menu.A phanthom camera  image and its shadow appears stuck on the ground in the preview mode. I can't  seem to delete it or make it invisible because I can't select it.I made invisible all cameras from the hiearchy window and it still appears It disappears when you render but I like to work and save in the preview mode and this @!#%$ camera is screwing everything up. I tried the exact same thing in P6 and there is no problem there  unless I load a camera setting that was  made in P7,

I'm on my way to EF to post this complaint.
Looks like I will going back to P6 till somebody fixes this or gives me a work around!!
RATS!!!
Sorry if this is a duplicate post but I can't seem to find the first one...Must have forgot to hit
the post button

Morgano posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 12:01 AM

Pruiz, I doubt if you're doing anything wrong, but your graphics card may be missing an upgrade (unfortunately, that may mean an upgrade that hasn't been written yet - I had that with Poser 6).  You say, though, that Poser completes the render and then hangs.   I used to get something similar with Poser 6.    Is this where you actually get to try to save the rendered file and then get the all-white treatment (not the entire screen, but the rendered one)?   I don't think I have seen that in Poser 6 since SR3, but I haven't done much rendering in Poser 7 yet.    According to my recollection, Poser was waiting for a response, but the window requesting the response instantly hid itself behind the main Poser window.   Giving the request window priority in the Task Manager used to fix the problem - I think.   If the render has completed, in Poser 6 or 7, the output should be buffered.   Even if you lose Poser, you should be able to recover the render from the list of remembered renders.

pruiz posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 6:12 AM

Morgano - I just upgraded my EVGA 8800 graphics card and (cross fingers) it seems to at least let me render with default draft settings - but I think the problem may lie in changing the dpi setings from the default 72?

I am going to try higher res settings. Wish me luck.

mickmca posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 8:11 AM

1. I hope I'm just having a brain cramp on this one. IBLs are directional. I dunno if they didn't used to be, or the just were SUPPOSED to be non-directional, but in P7 the position of the light source changes the way the "global" lighting is applied. After discovering this about IBLs I created myself, I went back to t he prepackaged ones, and this does not seem to be true of them, only the ones we create.

I was working with a Key spot, a Fill spot, and an Infinite, plus an IBL. With everything off except the IBL, and the IBL at -90x, 0,0, the model was illuminated from above. With the IBL at 0,0,0, she's illuminated from the front. It's possible that the problem is, it's not really turning off the Infinite light, but I'm running the Render now with all lights deleted except the IBL....  With them deleted, it doesn't happen.

It's possible that the problem is really the chaotic selection effects. At one point, I switched from Properties to Parameters and modified the XYZ coords, then switched back to Properties and discovered that it had switched from Light 2 to Light 3 without my telling it to. I had modified the wrong light.

1. Because it's so awful, I'll say it again: The selectors are utterly chaotic. A few minutes ago, I had Syd's rToe on the Object menu and red outlined, but the selection on the Parameter Palette was her Left Foot, and the controls visible for the "Left Foot" were for a Light. I had to restart to get rid of the Light Controls.

nruddock posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 8:25 AM

Quote - 40. I hope I'm just having a brain cramp on this one. IBLs are directional. I dunno if they didn't used to be, or the just were SUPPOSED to be non-directional, but in P7 the position of the light source changes the way the "global" lighting is applied. After discovering this about IBLs I created myself, I went back to t he prepackaged ones, and this does not seem to be true of them, only the ones we create.

I was working with a Key spot, a Fill spot, and an Infinite, plus an IBL. With everything off except the IBL, and the IBL at -90x, 0,0, the model was illuminated from above. With the IBL at 0,0,0, she's illuminated from the front. It's possible that the problem is, it's not really turning off the Infinite light, but I'm running the Render now with all lights deleted except the IBL....  With them deleted, it doesn't happen.

The IBL lights act like an Infinite light in preview.
If you turn on shadows for them, then the rotation settings determine the direction, just like an Infinite light.
This behaviour is the same as it was in P6.

mickmca posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 8:27 AM

More experimenting with IBL, and the problem, like so many, apparently is random. I deleted all lights, reloaded my lighting set with an IBL, and this time the IBL is not directional.

It would be convenient to think I imagined all this. I spent a half hour confirming it, and now I've gone through the exact same steps to replicate the problem, and it isn't happening. This may be the most unstable boxed software I've ever purchased.

M

mickmca posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 9:26 AM

Quote -
If you turn on shadows for them, then the rotation settings determine the direction, just like an Infinite light.
This behaviour is the same as it was in P6.

I don't have time to check, but this may be the cause. I can't think why I would have turned shadows on for an IBL. And frankly, since you can't use Depth Map shadows with point lights (the option is greyed out), it seems to me that you should not be able to "use" shadows at  all with IBLs since a global light casting a shadow is a paradox.

M

mickmca posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 3:09 PM

Regarding 34: Stranded Hair--
The figure shows Syd in the Hair Room with newly appolied stranded hair. On the left, as it appears when it is loaded from the Library. On the right, as it looks after you touch any Growth Control. The change is "real," which is to say, it renders that way. Apparently this happens with all dynamic hair. So, if you create a 'do, store it, and then reload it one day, doesn't "touching" it ruin it too?

M

PapaBlueMarlin posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 3:33 PM

I'm having issues with the preview window locking up and not being able to see any additional changes being presented on screen.  The only way to see the new changes is to save the file and reopen it.  This happens with all figures and in both OpenGL and Scree3D.

shadownet posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 3:55 PM

Not really a bug... in past versions you could copy and paste to and from the animation pallette to a text editor or spreadsheet.   This does not appear to work in Poser 7 last I tried (someone correct me if they find out differently).  I mention it here because it was a really nice time saving trick for grabbing (and saving) scene settings (FBM included) and such.    :O)

PapaBlueMarlin posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 3:57 PM

It's not just morphing...even moving an object doesn't show up until the file is re-opened.

JOELGLAINE posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 4:47 PM

I don't have Poser 7, but I read up on fixs a LOT and found this at planit3d.com : http://www.e-frontier.com/article/articleview/1761/1/861/

It's an important stability fix on a WIDE variety of problems in Poser 7 I thought you folks might ba able to utilize.  The original poster was scanmead, and the thanks are do to his having a problem of not being able to open the Material Room until the actions in the E-Frontiers page were implemented.

Hope this helps someone out.

Remember Preference FILES not FOLDERS to be deleted in Documents.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

mathman posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 6:33 PM

42 (?) If you have a document open, and you create a series of runtimes it will spontaneously close the document after a few runtimes. This appears to be sporadic. If you then continue adding runtimes after the document is closed, from time to time it will "hiccup" (i.e. it appears to hang for 30 seconds to 1 minute) after the addition of a few more runtimes. Again sporadic. Not really a showstopper, unless you have spent ages working on a document.

mickmca posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 6:47 PM

Figure for post above on Bug 34. Too much multitasking....

zollster posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 8:42 PM

when usin the symmetry menu...the clothes dont always follow when ya mirror a pose

shadownet posted Sat, 30 December 2006 at 8:26 AM

Had this happen to me and have seen some others mentioned elsewhere.   So I will add it to the list.

Saving a pz3 (or pzz) with Exteternal Binary Morph Targets turned on can lead to the pbm file becoming corrupted which will cause Poser 7 to crash and close when you attempt to (re)open the pz3.  If you delete (or move) the associated pbm file, Poser 7 will prompt it can not locate the pbm and ask to locate it.   Telling it no will allow the pz3 file to open (allowing you to salvage something of your work) but without any of the morphs (as these are stored in the corrupted pbm file).  

The Save File option (found in General Preference Tab>MiSC) External Binary Morph Targets is set on by default.   You may want to consider unchecking this box (turning it off) until this issue is addressed. 

I am not aware if also occurs with items saved to the library using pbm.  I have only experienced it (and read about it) in regard to pz3 (pzz) files. 

Peelo posted Sat, 30 December 2006 at 6:14 PM

Okay! Now all my characters that have magnets have turned all wobly!! O_O P7 replaces magnets with waves!  Models that are morphed with magnets no longer work. This is really annoying. They worked just fine 20 minutes a go. O_O I got a whole lotta wobly looking characters now. Teriffic.

-Morbo will now introduce the candidates - Puny Human Number One, Puny Human Number Two, and Morbo's good friend Richard Nixon.
-Life can be hilariously cruel

blbarrett posted Sat, 30 December 2006 at 11:41 PM

Peelo, I have not experienced this problem yet, but on other issuses I've had with P7...
a machine restart helped resolve most of the problems I was having.

good luck :)

kuroyume0161 posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 12:10 AM

Quote - Had this happen to me and have seen some others mentioned elsewhere.   So I will add it to the list.

Saving a pz3 (or pzz) with Exteternal Binary Morph Targets turned on can lead to the pbm file becoming corrupted which will cause Poser 7 to crash and close when you attempt to (re)open the pz3.  If you delete (or move) the associated pbm file, Poser 7 will prompt it can not locate the pbm and ask to locate it.   Telling it no will allow the pz3 file to open (allowing you to salvage something of your work) but without any of the morphs (as these are stored in the corrupted pbm file).  

The Save File option (found in General Preference Tab>MiSC) External Binary Morph Targets is set on by default.   You may want to consider unchecking this box (turning it off) until this issue is addressed. 

I am not aware if also occurs with items saved to the library using pbm.  I have only experienced it (and read about it) in regard to pz3 (pzz) files. 

Small nit: it's PMD file (not pbm)

From my explorations of this fun new idiocy, it appears that the PMD format is a work in progress.  There seems to be incomplete thought on how the format should properly handle multiple props and/or figures stored in the PMD so as to avoid problems.  And my justification is obvious - the numerous problems people are having with them!

The fact that they recently added PMD references to scene files (which weren't there previously - possibly before SR2 for P6), shows that the efficacy of the format is unstable enough that they decided it best to have a backup plan - if the Poser PZ3 PMD fails or doesn't exist, at least they might get to an original PMD for each figure/prop that uses them.

Personally, I haven't experienced any problems with PMDs enabled, but the situation seems to be that the format isn't as bullet proof as they pretend it to be.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Peelo posted Sun, 31 December 2006 at 12:22 AM

Quote - Peelo, I have not experienced this problem yet, but on other issuses I've had with P7...
a machine restart helped resolve most of the problems I was having.

good luck :)

Thanks blbarrett. I did reboot and it actually didn't help, but I did learn that I had this one file that works just fine in P5, that was the cause of all problems. After I opened that file in P7 , it changed all magnets into waves untill I actually closed the program. Then opening another file with magnets worked just fine. Somehow if I load the "infected" file first, it makes P7 turn all the magnets into waves and I can't understand why. Even if I press "new document" and load a new "uninfected" file with magnets, they turn into waves. Curious. But like I said, problem solved...Kinda...No more wobly, melting poser figures. So thats good. :D

-Morbo will now introduce the candidates - Puny Human Number One, Puny Human Number Two, and Morbo's good friend Richard Nixon.
-Life can be hilariously cruel

ManOfSteel posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 10:19 PM

I have a bug that's just popped up in the last week.  It's happened twice so far.  I'll load a saved figure and the eyebrows, eyelashes, and hair are solid.  When I go into the material room, I see that the transparency map has been replaced with the current  texture map.  If I try to reload the transparency map, whether from the list or by browsing, the current texture map appears again instead of the transparency map.
I also noticed that in the "advanced" section of the material room, the node connected to transparency has the correct name of the transparency map, but with the picture of the texture map.
Now if I turn the transparency map strength all the way down to 0 and then all the way up to 100, the tranparency map magically appears in its proper place.  However, although it's in its proper place, it doesn't have any effect.  It will do its job if I delete the texture map, but as soon as I load any texture map, the new texture replaces the transparency map, and I'm right back where I started.

VisionAiry posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 11:04 PM

I can not successfully import any 3DS files. About halfway through, an error message pops up. These are files that imported fine in P5 and P6.

Gini posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 7:15 AM

(Mac system) I've been using Sydney .......... 3 characters developed from her I have made and saved into my figure library do not reload !! I just get the saved hair or what ever props I might have parented to that figure. Also pz3's or pzz's with sydney aran't reloading.... Poser asks me to find an .obz file from User>Library>Caches>PoserTemporary , or something like that, and the file isn't there , nothing is. The file then opens without a figure . So as far as Sydney goes I have to do a scene all in one session. I have everything in one organised P7 Runtime and Poser constantly asks me to locate obj's and textures. These 2 things are enough to spoil the faster render times and greater stability P7 seems to offer. Totally unworkable.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

3Dave posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 8:20 AM

Thought I'd add my bugs and quibbles too, like many others I found problems with the delete key but the worst problem was that I suddenly and at first inexplicably started to get Low Memory warnings,
I did a general clean up but it still didn't clear the problem and it
wasn't until I defragged the drive I noticed a batch of files I didn't recognise
being shifted, I had to search in Hidden Folders to discover this;

poserTemp files.
C:Documents and SettingsdaveLocal SettingsTempPoser 7

7,965 objects 12.9Gb
 created between 13/12/07 (the day I installed P7) & 27/12/06
risen to 16.9Gb by 01/01/07

What are these, do I need them, why aren't they cleared automatically?

Other issues;

Hierarchy Editor, flashes horribly when any item is clicked

Animation Palette;

1. when dragging frames along the timeline the window expansion is jerky
    & sticks a couple of frames short of the end of the timeline.

2. Frame copying using edit>copy>paste is not consistent when
    sampling multiple frames,tends to only copy/paste one frame
    shortcut ctrl+c/v works fine.

Figure/Object Cloning

Really useful, but not always consistent (especially on 3rd party figures)
Programme gets very sluggish and cross-talky with more than 3 dressed figures.

Animation layers.

Again a fantastic addition, results so far  bit patchy,
but I think I need more practice before I can comment.

Visibilty.

Another great addition, on/off is fine but opacity levels seem rather unpredictable
when stretched over frames. Silhouettes rendering more smoothly than full renders,
perhaps not surprising, but who wants a mask out of sync with the master track? 

Python, sometimes works others not, can't seem to find a rational explanation for this, but I often use Ockham's "Jiggles" script for hair and tail movements, so I have to switch back to P6 to use this.

3Dave

zollster posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 8:47 AM

the same cloth room fault that was in p6 for a while..on random  cloths the calculatin drape goes insane....i told it to drape 55 frames...i came back to the puter a while later and it was on 563 frames, the cloth hadnt moved at all

amberlover13 posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 2:53 PM

The background thing is really ticking me off.....once introduced into the scene even if you delete the background it renders without an alpha channel. In order to get it to render you have to reboot and then you can get it to do the alpha channel thing.  I do a lot of postwork, and this is a major inconvience.
Hope EF will fix this in the first patch.

originalplaid posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 5:04 PM

On the mac... Opening almost any file saved by Poser 7 gives me XXXXXX(Filename)undo.obj (think that's the general name) not found.

That file is no where on my computer, skipping the file means what ever object that was (usually my main character!) is not there or is missing things like a body.

pruiz posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 7:17 PM

P7 Hair-room crashes to desktop randomly when a hair group styling sequence is in process - happened 3 times in 3 days. When venturing in the P7 troubled waters - save often and early ( actually all the time).

Asciicodeplus posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 8:35 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2678242

I think this has been pointed at already but still found some curious behavior with OGL

mickmca posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 7:18 AM

Quote - poserTemp files.

7,965 objects 12.9Gb

The first release of either P5 or P6 had no garbage collection. It literally filled people's HD with temp files. Apparently they've forgotten to do whatever it takes to have the files discarded, again. I found the same thing. There is also no way I know of to move the temp folder to a different drive. Having all that activity on my boot drive isn't my preference.

Mason posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 6:34 PM

1. Saving poses for Magnets does NOT save scale info even if you check on both transform and morph target options.

2. ERROR MESSAGES SUCK! Sorry efrontier but this is totally unacceptable and has been this way since Poser 4. For 4 versions you STILL won't tell us which textures failed to load, why the renders failed (more specific than that aweful generic out of memory error) or a whole lot of other errors you provide no specific info on. For example, I have had rendering with raytracing just give up and produce a grey picture (background color). No message. To date the system STILL will not tell me WHICH texture did not load when I get a failed texture load. This is a bug and a careless one at that since programming wise this would be very easy to remedy. How about a log file? Maybe for each step of rendering you print out to an optional log file what the renderer is doing so we can review the log and see where it bailed. But the current error messaging is down right horrible and has been this way for 4 versions.

zollster posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 6:44 PM

at least the error msgs look nicer now.. "something bad happened" is what i got in the cloth room

Tatooine posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 4:02 PM

I also confirm the delete-bug is very annoying. Even the menu  "Object ->Delete Object" is sometimes greyed out and therefore NOT working.

I also found that the window showing the rendered image after rendering (Pressing button ) has lost its scroll bars. So you can´t see the rendered picture

nghayward posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 5:28 PM

Quote - > Quote - poserTemp files.

7,965 objects 12.9Gb

The first release of either P5 or P6 had no garbage collection. It literally filled people's HD with temp files. Apparently they've forgotten to do whatever it takes to have the files discarded, again. I found the same thing. There is also no way I know of to move the temp folder to a different drive. Having all that activity on my boot drive isn't my preference.

I've just looked at there and don't see a build up of files. All but three were dated today and appear to relate to this session (Poser Still running).

You can change the the location of the temp directory in the general preferences on the misc tab. The ones that can't be relocated are the render pref's and Sketch designer prefs (Unless someone knows otherwise)

nghayward posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 5:35 PM

Quote - I also confirm the delete-bug is very annoying. Even the menu  "Object ->Delete Object" is sometimes greyed out and therefore NOT working.

I also found that the window showing the rendered image after rendering (Pressing button ) has lost its scroll bars. So you can´t see the rendered picture

If the menu is greyed out it was either a figure you were deleting (use the figure menu) or something that can't be deleted like the ground or main camera etc. (At least it's been that way for me)

You don't need scroll bars on the "tear off" you can drag the image around . (Better than scroll bars in my opinion - to move down and across would be two clicks/drags on scrollbarrather than  one drag on the image)

shedofjoy posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:22 PM

Has anyone noticed that the Compression ratio for saving renders in .jpg format doesnt work????

try it, save a render with 100% and the same render again with10% and then check them...
they are the same (and in file size)

Please can someone verify this to see if im going nuts,lol

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

fuaho posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 9:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2679889

Animation related **thermonuclear bug** description put in this thread

<"))###><<  

pennykay posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 10:56 AM

I really wish I would of saved my money, I am not pleased with Poser7 at all.
The renders are awful, there is no way to get out of the material room, and on and on.

rty posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 10:08 AM

Noticed problem #5 too : "delete" not working. Instead the library window moves up one level, for example from "characters" to "libraries".

No, that's just a focus thing which also happens in P6: If you click delete while the library has the focus, you just go up a level. Allows for keyboard-only navigation in the library.

But the real delete bug exists, I have it too. Apparently it seems to happen after rendering. Deleting from the hierarchy menu still works.

Rance01 posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 11:54 AM

Colored Pencil Scetch preset points to a wrong pzs file.  It seeks SketchPresetsColored pencil.pzs which is not present.  I did find a Colored pencil in the prefsScetchPresets but don't know if that is the correct file or not.

Best Wishes,

templargfx posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 6:31 PM

Camera Switching stops working :

Every once in a while, whilst working on relatively complex scene, I will choose say the dolly cam to setup my final render angle. then switch back to the main cam for more editing, but the camera doesnt change, infact no cameras can be switched to until poser is restarted. friggin annoying!

DOF guide disconnects from camera :
every now and again the DOF guide can disconnect from the camera, meaning its extremely hard to setup the focus using the guide (most of the time you cant even see it!)

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

Mason posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 7:02 PM

Quote - > Noticed problem #5 too : "delete" not working. Instead the library window moves up one level, for example from "characters" to "libraries".

No, that's just a focus thing which also happens in P6: If you click delete while the library has the focus, you just go up a level. Allows for keyboard-only navigation in the library.

But the real delete bug exists, I have it too. Apparently it seems to happen after rendering. Deleting from the hierarchy menu still works.

No there is still another bug with delete. If your scene is populated and you hit the delete key to delete a figure or prop there is a huge delay (like up to 10 seconds) in which you can click on another item and that other item then gets deleted instead. Its a huge delay problem. The delete while in library view issue is also annoying but not destructive.

nruddock posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 7:39 PM

The delay is due to Poser saving the change so that it's undoable.
I doubt there is a way to make it much faster.
You should compare the time taken to do this with the time taken to save the whole scene (which was previously the only way getting back a deleted item was possible).

CuriousGeorge posted Fri, 19 January 2007 at 12:12 AM

winxp, latest updates, fresh install, poser 7, default display setup within program

motherboard: ga-945p-s3 motherboard, 2gb memory, 500gb hd
graphics:  ati radeon x1600 pro (512mb) (default settings)

PROBLEM:  when mousing over joints, character and floor disappear completely.

see pic

XENOPHONZ posted Fri, 19 January 2007 at 5:01 PM

Quote - Kalypso:  bluecity I've had the same problem with Build Folder Menus.  But mine is even worse, because I have my very bloated P4 runtime linked (I never bothered to tidy that up with P5, P6 and now P7!) when I get the build folder menus option and select it, Poser crashes.  It works ok if I select each one of the libraries and open them, although it takes time.   I've already reported this over at the content paradise forums but you're the only other person I've seen mention it.  

Oh and it is a P7 bug because P6 has no problem with those huge directories.

Yep.  I've been seeing the exact same problem.  "Build Folder Menu" selection sometimes leads to an instant crash-out to the desktop.  But if I re-open P7 immediately after the crash: then everything works just fine.  The best policy is to save early, and to save often.

I've also noted the same delete key issue which has already been mentioned by so many others -- although I've also been using the menu bar delete as a work-around.  I'd like to see this problem fixed.

However: overall, I am VERY happy with P7.  It's a lot faster than P6 ever dreamed of being.  I can create complicated scenes in far less time than any former version of Poser ever allowed.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

CuriousGeorge posted Fri, 19 January 2007 at 8:12 PM

I found the solution to the "disappearing figure" issue I mentioned above.  Go to Poser preferences and under the DOCUMENT and INTERFACE tabs, select LAUNCH TO FACTORY STATE.  That should fix the issue.

Ciao,
            G

mylemonblue posted Fri, 19 January 2007 at 8:50 PM

I just had Simon alone and was adjusting the basic three lights. When I went to save the lights to the library P7 just locked up and stoped. After about 5 minutes the menus became accessable but didn't work. The Library continued to remaind locked up solid, unresponsive, and could not be accessed. Poser also would not shut down without being forced by through the Task Manager via the Process tab.

-on Windows2000Pro sp4, 768 RAM, P7 is the last program loaded.
-Fire wall = ZoneAlarm  6.5.737.000 {P7 access to local server 127.0.0.1 fully allowed (green checked)}
-Virus Protect = AVG  7.5.432

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

chimera46 posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:03 PM

When exporting an image as a jpeg (yes I like to do that) the file ends up being the same size no matter what compression rate is used. The compression rate that it's stuck on seems to be horribly high though resulting in equally choppy pics.

And yes i've had delete key woes as well.

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

westcat posted Sat, 27 January 2007 at 8:57 PM

HI:

Just bought Poser 7.  The problem I have
deals with it crashing.  I set up a poser scene, save it then reopen it no problem.  Then I simply repose the characters in the scene, save then when I try to reopen it later, poser 7 starts crashing.  It is very frustrating, all that work posing a figure in a scene, not changing a single other thing, and the scene will no longer reopen once it is saved and closed again...maddening.
I've tried this many other times with the exact same out come I am really upset!

pruiz posted Sat, 27 January 2007 at 9:06 PM

Welcome to the crowd.

sjmills posted Tue, 20 November 2007 at 2:30 PM

Quote - Dynamic Cloth simulations only work on the first group created. I tested this with V4 and V4 Summer Fashion. Whether I put the skirt or the top into a 2nd cloth simulation group, the second simulation would not work properly and the object in question would just fall through V4. Putting all dynamic cloth objects into the same (first) simulation group "solved" the problem.

I'll second this. Truly annoying. How can you put multiple cloth objects into the same simulator group?

Mec4D posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 1:28 AM

I have a mini list of troubles as well ...I did have more when running poser7 on my older machine
right now most everything working fine beside:

1. The JPG compression don't works
  2. the FFRender.exe make strange things and hang up all system (Kaspersky don't like it too lol)**
  3. **The export of the alpha channel works not good alpha channel is solid when render over background picture

that's all my mini troubles ;) I was working in every room beside Setup room
Cath

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

stewer posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 6:16 AM

Cath, did you install the latest update? It sounds like at least your #1 and #3 are issues addressed in SR2.1.

Mec4D posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 6:29 AM

No ... I did reinstall everything 2 times and now I run without, the issues #1 ans # 3 are not the major one b/c I do not use this options anyway and the rest works really great for me , the only one thing are  FFRender.exe
** do not works fine some way I was thinking it have to do with my firewall or Anti-virus  that block it all the time, whatever I am waiting for Poser Pro :)

Cath

Mec4D posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 8:19 AM

BTW Stefan, I fixed the preview of the scaled textures..
in the Poser files some way it was set wrong that why Nvidia dont worked  good , I change it to
HARDWARE_SHADING 1
HARDWARE_SHADING_OPTIMIZATION 1

and now everything show up as expected :)))))

stewer posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 8:20 AM

FFRender and Poser are using IP sockets for communication. Can you tell your firewall to permit network operations for both programs?

Mec4D posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 8:22 AM

I know ....Yes I can :)
thanks!!